Singapore Expats

Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Post by menudown » Fri, 05 Aug 2016 10:11 am

Singapore will now broadcast the Rio 2016 Olympic Games live, every day from Aug 6 to Aug 22 on okto and four Toggle channels.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/me ... mpics-live

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Aug 2016 10:40 am

menudown wrote:Singapore will now broadcast the Rio 2016 Olympic Games live, every day from Aug 6 to Aug 22 on okto and four Toggle channels.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/me ... mpics-live
Great U turn !! Love it !!

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Post by menudown » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 2:24 pm

this guy.. his father is in fact the President of the Ethiopian Swimming Federation :mrgreen:

http://www.businessinsider.sg/robel-kir ... h7qkGa8.97

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 3:55 pm

Two things come to mind. What's his favorite style? The Sandstroke? And the other one is 'where's the beef' all I see is lard.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 5:42 pm

Anything that happens at the Olympics stays at the Olympics

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jacob-geers/2 ... -olympics/

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 4:30 pm

Well, I'll say it since nobody else has mentioned it yet: Joseph Schooling swam incredibly, amazingly. He's the only man to beat Michael Phelps this Olympics (or in some others probably) in any head-to-head matchup, and he did it convincingly so: exactly 3/4s of a second ahead of the field in a 100 meter contest. That's huge. And with an Olympic record, a new personal best.... Wow.

Schooling is the first athlete representing Singapore to win any sort of medal in swimming, the first Singaporean athlete in any sport to win a gold medal -- indeed, the first swimmer from any southeast Asian country to win a gold medal. He had the fastest time in the heats, fastest in the semifinals, and he just won the gold. He completely dominated the field the whole way through.

On top of all that, Phelps, Le Clos (South Africa), and Cseh (Hungary) tied for the silver medal that 3/4s of a second behind Schooling. So there were four medals awarded in the men's 100 meter butterfly, and none of them were bronze. Ties happen once in a while, but a three way tie for silver, and with that sort of gap to gold, is shocking.

Schooling is only 21 (versus Phelps at 31 who has already won 4 gold medals this Olympics and may win a 5th in a relay event), so he should have several more years of swimming success ahead of him. It'll be fun to watch, and it was certainly fun to watch him in this race.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 4:52 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:Well, I'll say it since nobody else has mentioned it yet: Joseph Schooling swam incredibly, amazingly. He's the only man to beat Michael Phelps this Olympics (or in some others probably) in any head-to-head matchup, and he did it convincingly so: exactly 3/4s of a second ahead of the field in a 100 meter contest. That's huge. And with an Olympic record, a new personal best.....
Singaporeans' questions now:

- will JS be exempt from NS.
- will JS winning Gold = national or school Holiday on Monday
- will Minister Foo Apologise for saying live broadcast isn't necessary
- Did President TT return the medal after taking a photo
- will Tote board allow more 4D bets for 5039 (read somewhere 5039 was sold out)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 8:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:- will JS be exempt from NS.
If he requests another deferment, he'll most likely get one. Either that or his unit will be stationed poolside in Austin, Texas, and practice aquatic demolition.
This Monday? Too soon, but a Schooling Day (without school, ironically) wouldn't surprise me.
No, probably not.
Yes, if the photos were published in the right order.
- will Tote board allow more 4D bets for 5039 (read somewhere 5039 was sold out)
It should. The house always wins (given enough time). 5114 seems a lot luckier, though, since three swimmers clocked 51.14. (Can you bet with a repeating digit?)

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:41 am

The proud Singaporeans welcome the return of the Champ this morning at Changi Airport. The other group of crowds gather at Hougang and Toa Payoh till morning for pokemon. #-o

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 15 Aug 2016 11:20 am

menudown wrote:The proud Singaporeans welcome the return of the Champ this morning at Changi Airport. The other group of crowds gather at Hougang and Toa Payoh till morning for pokemon. #-o
They can always meet the champ some other time. Rare pokemons on the other hand ...

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 15 Aug 2016 5:11 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:Well, I'll say it since nobody else has mentioned it yet: Joseph Schooling swam incredibly, amazingly. He's the only man to beat Michael Phelps this Olympics (or in some others probably) in any head-to-head matchup, and he did it convincingly so: exactly 3/4s of a second ahead of the field in a 100 meter contest. That's huge. And with an Olympic record, a new personal best.....
Singaporeans' questions now:

- will JS be exempt from NS.
Have the keyboard warriors accepted him as Singaporean yet?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 Aug 2016 7:02 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
ecureilx wrote:- will JS be exempt from NS.
If he requests another deferment, he'll most likely get one. Either that or his unit will be stationed poolside in Austin, Texas, and practice aquatic demolition.
This Monday? Too soon, but a Schooling Day (without school, ironically) wouldn't surprise me.
No, probably not.
Yes, if the photos were published in the right order.
It should. The house always wins (given enough time). 5114 seems a lot luckier, though, since three swimmers clocked 51.14. (Can you bet with a repeating digit?)
Honestly I love your detailed research !!!!!!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 Aug 2016 7:05 pm

Barnsley wrote:Have the keyboard warriors accepted him as Singaporean yet?
After the warriors learnt he and his father aren't recent imports ... yes ..

The Catholic church in Victoria street apparently has a Schooling named in their donor list, from long long ago ...

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 15 Aug 2016 11:49 pm

It's official. Joseph Schooling now has a NS deferment until after the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Moreover, Schooling is free to request another deferment in 2020.