Singapore Expats

GEMS World Academy - Any experience to share?

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
Expat1977

GEMS World Academy - Any experience to share?

Post by Expat1977 » Tue, 03 Nov 2015 6:10 pm

Hi

We are planning to move into Singapore on January 2016. So far we visited 6 to 7 schools. We have narrowed our search to 2: Gems World Academy located in Yishun, and Canadian International School located in Lakeside.

Gems interests me as they are still few students compared to CIS (350 vs 3000), but I have not found enough and recent reviews / feedback yet. Have some of you lived the experience of GEMS / CIS to share with me?

Thanks

lennardtan76

Re: GEMS World Academy - Any experience to share?

Post by lennardtan76 » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 10:47 am

Hi there!

I am also doing the same thing , looking for school for my kids. I came across with GEMS , Tanglin and Insworld. If small class size interest you as you like few students , you can check Insworld as well. Facilities wise go for GEMS and Tanglin . I'm not that sure if GEMS are accepting students for January intake though

Expat1977

Post by Expat1977 » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 3:27 pm

HI thanks for the tip! I will check out Insworld. GEMS confirmed me they accept on January.
Regards,

lennardtan76

Post by lennardtan76 » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 3:45 pm

okay if you need some contact to Insworld let me know . Hope you are having a great day!

Shelly70

Post by Shelly70 » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 5:38 pm

My daughter has been at CIS for 9 years and she loves it (she is at Lakeside). She is doing well academically and has a number of interests at school (band, service, and sport). All her teachers are great and the culture of the school is really friendly. CIS is very diverse with kids from so many different countries - this is one thing we really love. New principals are fantastic! I highly recommend. I would personally go with a tried and tested school (CIS has been around for 25 years) rather than a new one ...

100fires

Post by 100fires » Tue, 22 Mar 2016 8:11 pm

Hi,
We are moving to Singapore in June, just wondering what decision you made? How have you all settled in to school?
Thanks

Expat1977

Post by Expat1977 » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 1:03 am

Hi we preferred Canadian International School, I investigated and GEMs is not certificated yet in IB, rather than CIS. Also Canadian seemed more warm , friendly and structured to us.

donil.edwards

Post by donil.edwards » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 9:54 am

GEMS is an IB World School now.. so they are accredited to provide the Primary Years (PYP), Middle Years (MYP) and Diploma Programmes (DP).

They are also EduTrust certified, meaning they can offer placement for international students who require Student Passes from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

Taken from: www.gwa.edu.sg/accreditation

wala2.ali

Post by wala2.ali » Sat, 13 Oct 2018 9:27 am

Expat1977 wrote:Hi we preferred Canadian International School, I investigated and GEMs is not certificated yet in IB, rather than CIS. Also Canadian seemed more warm , friendly and structured to us.
Same choices for me now CIS OR Gems...how did you find cis

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:35 pm

Both GEMS and Insworld have relatively poor reputations among locals because the students they produce are terribly behaved and ill mannered. Curriculum is not rigorous, and like most for profit schools, the administration is way more focused on generating profit than on the students wellbeing.