Singapore Expats

When did you switch child to whole milk/cow's milk?

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

When did you switch child to whole milk/cow's milk?

Post by BedokAmerican » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 8:32 am

I took my child for a routine 1-year-old check-up/vaccinations and mentioned to the pediatrician I wanted to start the switch from breast milk to whole milk and he said not to introduce whole milk/cow's milk until 18-24 months. I thought a child could gradually start whole milk at 12 months (if no allergies) so this surprised me, but I didn't want to sound snarky and say something like, "But back home, things are done this way....."

Has anyone else heard this advice? I've always thought by a year old that whole milk could be started. When did you switch your child from breastmilk or formula to whole milk?

sunny

Post by sunny » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 3:23 pm

I'm interested in this topic too. my 16 months old girl is still breastfeed. she doesnt even touch the formular whenever i give her. just wondering when is the right time to introduce whole milk or cow milk.

vanillafudge

Post by vanillafudge » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 2:27 pm

my son is now 22 months old. up until he was 10 months old, he was breastfed and took formula occasionally. he then went onto formula (similac) till he was 12 months old. during that time we introduced cow's milk to him by putting it into his weetbix for breakfast and he took to it well. from 1 year up, we only gave him cow's milk.

my pediatrician had also advised me to keep him on formula till he was at least 2 years old but i didn't feel it was necessary because he eats normal food well and gets nutrients/vitamins that way. but i have found that it is normal practice in singapore for kids to stay on formula for a long time (till they are 6 or 7) which i do find odd. but they like that formula has added whatevers in it - dha etc etc.

if you want to start introducing cow's milk, i would advise you to do it slowly. start with replacing one feed a day with cow's milk then increase to 2 feeds etc so that they can get used to the texture and taste.

@sunny: i have found from my own experience and heard from friends that different brands of formula have different tastes. if you want to switch your baby to formula, you may need to try a few different ones to see what she likes. i've been told that bellamy's is less metallic/fishy tasting than other supermarket brands.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 12:26 pm

Both our kids were weaned onto solids around 6 months, they were on formula/breast milk until 12 months.

Kids drink formula until they are very old here! :S
nutnut

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Sun, 12 May 2013 12:18 am

If you're worried about introducing cow/whole milk too early, there's always the goat milk alternative - I've been supplementing her breastmilk feeds with that since she was a newborn (she's now 8 months old). Goat milk is supposed to be easier to digest and less likely to cause allergies, and if you introduce it to them early the difference in taste won't bother them. I buy Karihome's goat milk and it's worked out great for me.

mortlock2005
Regular
Regular

Re: When did you switch child to whole milk/cow's milk?

Post by mortlock2005 » Thu, 04 Aug 2016 12:04 pm

We switched from formula to cows milk around 12 months. I don't like the follow-on formulas as they are incredibly high in sugar, and just not necessary with a well balanced diet. My eldest had lactose intolerance, but we just used a lactose free UHT milk until she was OK with regular milk