Singapore Expats

airplane seating etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 5:09 pm

x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
x9200 wrote:Can not. That's the problem. It's a quixotism. You should talk, but don't expect any impact.
i'll just leave this here..this is the sort of shitstorm that these type of things eventually lead to.

https://storify.com/cbccommunity/plane- ... een-passen
It's up to you Raj (and me) where this is going to end up. That's the whole secret.
would you like to end it at the pub?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 5:26 pm

No fair!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 5:27 pm

I know you're kidding Raj but it has struck me how of late the forum seems to have picked up the style of that other place aka 'The Angry Board'.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 5:32 pm

JR8 wrote:I know you're kidding Raj but it has struck me how of late the forum seems to have picked up the style of that other place aka 'The Angry Board'.
:lol: i dont post in the other place at all so i can't relate.. but i've seen some *yawn* tl;dr posts about which I don't even think are worth replying to. I see a lot of nit picking over nothing.. is it possible that some people who post here have a lot of time on their hands and don't know what to do with it? :-k

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 5:50 pm

Shazam!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: airplane seating etiquette

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 5:57 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:l.. but i've seen some *yawn* tl;dr posts about which I don't even think are worth replying to. I see a lot of nit picking over nothing..
No, I figured out some folks wanna ensure, if there is a one in a million chance something going right, that must be described in detail, derailing the original question and, complicate a simple Yes, No or Maybe reply.

It's not nitpicking ;) it's called freedom of speech ?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 9:12 pm

JR8 wrote:I know you're kidding Raj but it has struck me how of late the forum seems to have picked up the style of that other place aka 'The Angry Board'.
So what you intended to achieve with your post JR8? You are an intelligent guy and this is not really a complement in this case. You seem to take every opportunity to heat up the discussion that otherwise is or would be long cooled down.

Raj, I was actually really hoping for a reasonable exchange of arguments but what pissed me off was your adopted high moral stand and accusing me at the same time of being a judge (moral immunity etc). You also took a ride on our poor BBCW accusing him to have not enough courage to directly confront the problem. What was a base for this? I really don't think the word "rage" was that off. No arguments, just emotionally loaded accusations.
Anyway, I don't really think it makes any sense to continue this topic, neither here or over a beer. It just didn't work out and now it's a bit too late.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 9:30 pm

I sense a slight shift in style on the forum, there seems to be more abrasiveness than there used to be, and some people are far quicker to rise into conflict than they used to be. Who knows why and that's just my impression. I have pondered why; might it be as a result of the anti-FT purges, or other reasons - no idea?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 9:37 pm

x9200 wrote:
So what you intended to achieve with your post JR8? You are an intelligent guy and this is not really a complement in this case. You seem to take every opportunity to heat up the discussion that otherwise is or would be long cooled down.

Raj, I was actually really hoping for a reasonable exchange of arguments but what pissed me off was your adopted high moral stand and accusing me at the same time of being a judge (moral immunity etc). You also took a ride on our poor BBCW accusing him to have not enough courage to directly confront the problem. What was a base for this? I really don't think the word "rage" was that off. No arguments, just emotionally loaded accusations.
Anyway, I don't really think it makes any sense to continue this topic, neither here or over a beer. It just didn't work out and now it's a bit too late.
Wait a minute.. I don't recall pointing a finger at you specifically X9, it was my observation/opinion that shaming someone online is tantamount to mob justice...
W.r.t to bbcw, yes I called him out for it, but it wasn't a rage filled seething hate for him :lol: as you make it sound, like I said before I opined disdain or rather disliked the idea.., yes I was taking a stance that mob justice doesn't mete real justice, and that was where I left it, you were on the other side of the fence.. So a debate ensued.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 9:46 pm

JR8 wrote:I sense a slight shift in style on the forum, there seems to be more abrasiveness than there used to be, and some people are far quicker to rise into conflict than they used to be. Who knows why and that's just my impression. I have pondered why; might it be as a result of the anti-FT purges, or other reasons - no idea?
I don't see anything like this to be frank. Admittedly I am a pretty short-tempered person (not that I am particularly proud of it) who sometimes reacts this or that way if I see something I consider arrogant or baseless or unfair or just BS but there were always a few guys like this around and I would say it is rather constant over last few years.
Damn, you can not even imagine how much it costs me not to respond to the prestigious PhD thread. Talking of which, I think the trend is actually opposite. There are more and more people who respond with genuine and valuable advises even if it is clear from the start who is the person asking and how this is going to end up. I salut them. No chance I will ever get to this point.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 11:53 pm

the.pr.holder wrote:ok, perhaps the "I'm a girl" part really got me worked up. it just sends a very wrong signal to me. and the drama caused by her when nothing should've happened over such small matter.
The whole thing is a storm in a teacup but if there was ever a character to stir one up it's entitled Singapore princesses.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Aug 2016 12:15 am

^^^^THIS!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 04 Aug 2016 1:01 am

BBCWatcher wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:Wow, this airline seating etiquette is getting more complicated by the day.
No, it's all pointing (up) in one direction: getting up off your butt. Not complicated!
Yes, I agree, it is fairly simple and straightforward. From Your Point Of View!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 04 Aug 2016 1:21 am

earthfriendly wrote:Wow, this airline seating etiquette is getting more complicated by the day. Gotta love this forum :P .
My statement was in jest. No slight intended on my part, and I know that written words do a lousy job of conveying tone.

I am glad OP posted this topic. It makes for a fun read. And also, I notice the attitude is not universal on this one. Without getting into details, there are people with either small or active bladders. And not everyone plans ahead and book a window seat in advance. So when you show up on the day of flight, you just get whatever seats are still available.

In the past, I had looped my whole being across a sleeping passenger. It was not a very ladylike maneuvre and it is not meant for everyone. Cabin was dimly lit and nobody's visual was harmed in the process. I am on the smaller side. Probably more nimble? When it was all said and done, I was happily (since nobody was disturbed) resettled in my own seat and the passenger next to me continues with his / her zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-" . It was a judgment call.

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 3:26 am

This was a weird topic to read.

At OP: I think it is entirely rude to simply 'walk through' someone when they are seated. I've had people try that with me on planes, and it gives me the 'what the freak?' look on my face instantly. I will stand for you without issue, it is the correct and right thing to do, just let me know. Actually most times you don't have to let me know, I can see from the corner of my eye if you're making moves to stand up and I'll stop what I'm doing and ask you if you need to get through. Thankfully I'm rarely in the middle/aisle seats.

I choose window seats, mainly because I don't have a weak bladder and I rarely need to get up to use the restroom. If I do need to go then I wait until they've gotten up too.

As for Australian/NZ etiquette- I've found that 99% of the time people will stand without issue, and offer to stand.

For the stomp/social media blasting: I'm in two minds about it, but mostly aganist it, except for extreme circumstances.