Singapore Expats

Good Hardware Store

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
lessthanjay13

Good Hardware Store

Post by lessthanjay13 » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 4:48 pm

Where can I find a good hardware store in Singapore? Have been to Self-Fix and Home-Fix but their selection is quite limited. Realize there is no Home Depot here, but wondering if there is anything with a bigger/better selection.

Thanks!

J

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Good Hardware Store

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 5:23 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 6:13 pm

The people at Handyman store in Lucky Plaza are very nice and they have a lot of things other DIY shops do not
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 8:39 pm

^^^ Also true. I've used the Handyman Store for over 30 years. But they were at Shaw Centre then. I haven't been there since they moved. Got to stop by to see them one day. If he doesn't have it, and you don't need it yesterday, he will get it for you (and he'll buy one for the store just in case). I've known him a long time. (but he is a little pricier though. Like being used to NTUC and then having to buy something at Cold Storage!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 8:51 pm

Brah wrote:The people at Handyman store in Lucky Plaza are very nice and they have a lot of things other DIY shops do not
Unlike the other shops he at least has some variety.

One of the most frustrating things about buying anything in Singapore is the fact that there is so little variety - so many shops and stalls selling exactly the same products.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 9:47 pm

Another good place... at least by Singapore standards... http://www.horme.com.sg/

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 10:37 pm

SE, I use them online occasionally myself. In fact I last used them in Feb when I bought a Makita finishing sander. I like the fact that they deliver for free. I also use RS online as well.

http://sg.rs-online.com/web/

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:14 am

There are 2 hardware stores in Clementi avenue 2 market (near block 359 on this map https://gothere.sg/maps#q:clementi%20av ... 2%20market ). Apparently when the father passed it on to the next generation they couldn't agree so run 2 shops right next to each other. Quite a bit of stuff and everything needed for DIY (not the Singlish use of the word :-k ) Drills etc I bought from Giant as I don't really need tradesman quality here.