Singapore Expats

Bank Robbery @ Holland Village

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bank Robbery @ Holland Village

Post by JR8 » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 8:59 pm

Are there any other common-law countries that don't have trial by jury?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 3:27 pm

maneo wrote:
GSM8 wrote:
JR8 wrote:I don't think he should be sent to SG. You can see why from some comments in this thread. He might not get justice, he might be 'made an example of'.
Why should he not be made an example of? He was fully aware that robbing a bank is illegal. Justice systems around the world are predicated on deterrence, regardless of the fact that liberals may bleat about rehabilitation. Just my opinion, and I won't be defending it. :lol:
"Might not get justice"?
A teller was effectively terrorised by his audacity.
Justice would mean punishment for the crime done.
Since he did it in Singapore - Singapore's punishment is what is due.

That you think that Singapore's punishment is inhumane or whatever BS you want to proclaim, is irrelevant.
The first one to do crime in a new way deserves to be made an example.

While punishment in general may not always be as effective a deterrent as proponents might hope (like capital punishment for serious crimes), rigidly applied punishments for more minor transgressions do seem to be reasonably effective. Parents don't want their precious babies' bums whacked, so they seem to take (their) responsibility for their charges' behaviour.
Haven't seen any more car "tagging" by American brats in SG since Michael Fay got his rotan spanking.
Now, as for the MRT car "tagging," well that's another story.

(Edited to correct a few words.)
I'll have to agree with GSM8 and maneo on this (not gonna say more because they have already said what I would have said). And bank teller obliging was part of SOP - safety of staff and customers in the bank is of higher priority to losing money. I wouldn't call it bank teller's stupidity or "deer in headlights" mode (even if it is, so what). If she does something on her end (Die Hard or Home Alone style), it is a bonus, or a risk. Nobody could tell if he really had a weapon or not that time.

covesg

Post by covesg » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 3:44 pm

i agree too.... u shld face the justice system of where you done the crime.
you chose it when u committed the crime.... lol

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 3:59 pm

covesg wrote:i agree too.... u shld face the justice system of where you done the crime.
you chose it when u committed the crime.... lol
You've missed out an important word: 'Alleged'

x-ref: previous point about having been pre-judged before the 'court of public opinion'.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 5:40 pm

"Alleged"?
Oh, like OJ Simpson only "allegedly" killed Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ron Brown, eh?

If you really think this could be a case of mistaken identity, then this should be clearly resolved in the trial by the teller that was subjected to this.
Thus, there should be no objection to his extradition to Singapore to stand trial.
Last edited by maneo on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 6:46 pm

maneo wrote:"Alleged"?
Oh, like OJ Simpson only "allegedly" killed Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ron Brown, eh?

If you really think this could be a case of mistaken identity, then this should be clearly resolved in the trial by the teller that was subjected to this.
Thu, there should be no objection to his extradition to Singapore to stand trial.
Well, innocent until proven guilty, or innocent even if caught on CCTV committing the crime - so "ALLEGED" is the right word.

Now if the culprit gets away on technicality, he is innocent. :)

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 7:43 pm

ecureilx wrote: Now if the culprit gets away on technicality, he is innocent. :)
At least in the eyes of the law...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 8:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
maneo wrote:"Alleged"?

Thu, there should be no objection to his extradition to Singapore to stand trial.
Well, innocent until proven guilty, or innocent even if caught on CCTV committing the crime - so "ALLEGED" is the right word.

Now if the culprit gets away on technicality, he is innocent. :)
TBP, innocent until convicted in the court of law and the ruling is final (no further appeals or cancelations).

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 21 Jul 2016 2:29 am

PNGMK wrote:Singapore's prisons are pretty good at rehab. I think young Mr. Roach will be a better person after time in Changi.

They have been successful with the Yellow Ribbon project. And Singaporeans are quite receptive to having them re-integrate into society again. I have a relative who left prison, a renewed man. He is leading a full life, converted to Christianity and actively involved in volunteer work. Kudos to a prison system that works.

For some people, they just need to go thru the full circle, including incaceration. In order to learn. It is part of their life's journey.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 21 Jul 2016 4:46 am

PNGMK wrote:Singapore's prisons are pretty good at rehab. I think young Mr. Roach will be a better person after time in Changi.
Yah... nothing like dragging a concrete filled tire around the courtyard to rehabilitate yourself.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jul 2016 8:44 am

earthfriendly wrote:For some people, they just need to go thru the full circle, including incaceration. In order to learn. It is part of their life's journey.
Yeah, I think I might know one of them. We tend to just call them hard-headed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:09 am

One size can't fit all. Our formal education system. Some need to attend the School of Hard Knocks :) .

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jul 2016 1:06 pm

:-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers