Singapore Expats

The hidden gem you have not discovered in the local dining scene

Share your favourite eating haunts!
keithwang

The hidden gem you have not discovered in the local dining scene

Post by keithwang » Tue, 29 Dec 2015 11:04 am

I think most of us would have their fair share of local food (chicken rice etc) by now. However, I'm more interested about home made food made by locals here.

Have anyone tried such home made food or am curious to try? Tell us your experience!

covesg

Re: The hidden gem you have not discovered in the local dining scene

Post by covesg » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 3:40 pm

im curious too. love foood!! haha

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 4:29 pm

If you're looking for home-cooked local food there's a local start-up doing something like this:

https://www.techinasia.com/southeast-as ... ng-startup

brunoeazzurra

Post by brunoeazzurra » Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:41 am

keithwang wrote:I think most of us would have their fair share of local food (chicken rice etc) by now. However, I'm more interested about home made food made by locals here.

Have anyone tried such home made food or am curious to try? Tell us your experience!
It's time you got yourself a local girlfriend, and invited to her house :-D

Ying_S

Post by Ying_S » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 12:06 pm

:) find a local partner is the best way to be introduced to home cooked food, provided there is a Cook in the family.

Bonappetour is a pretty cool concept, however best to get your choice of dinning vetted by a local :) before booking. Maybe only the "Singapore" location is facing this strange offering - I realised 90% of the host are expats' housewives. They makes awesome meals, I will book it myself if I crave authentic indian meal, beats any indian restaurants :)

There seem to be one or two true Singaporean cooking(Chinese is a bit tricky too since it may be Chinese cuisine from China), no harm trying - share with us the experience :)

The closest thing you can get and is similar to Chinese Singaporean home cooked meals, are those mixed rice stalls in hawkers and foodcourts. Those seafood stalls or "Zi Char" stall in hawker center are the more elaborate version of home cooked dishes but you do communal eating with that.