Singapore Expats

Damsel in distress

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Damsel in distress

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 9:36 pm

njscarrott wrote:Hi
What s MOM?
I want to come to Singapore from the Uk as the education system out there is highly regarded across the idle and it s a relatively safe place to live I understand . Also they were offering attractive packages for internationals .
Oh no, you mean Singapore is better than UK ? Is it post Brexit ? :D

MOM - Ministry of Man Power.

You may do a self assesement test here:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/eservices/service ... sment-tool

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:18 pm

Lol
Good sense of humour you have .
Thank you so much I will go online and do this

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 9:26 am

There are plenty of tuition centres requiring native English speakers and often recruit from abroad. They are a mixed bag though and the hours can be anti-social. Also, given your background, they may not be what you are looking for.

Have a look at the British Council, they do provide education opportunities.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Damsel seeking a job

Post by maneo » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:30 am

What s MOM?
Ministry of Manpower.
You should do some research of this government ministry online.

Another ministry you should check is the MOE - Ministry of Education.
njscarrott wrote:I want to come to Singapore from the Uk as the education system out there is highly regarded across the idle and it s a relatively safe place to live I understand . Also they were offering attractive packages for internationals .
The "attractive packages for internationals" are not offered to anyone just because they are "international." Only those that have something obviously significant to offer might get something like this, but even these situations have been cut back in the past few years.
There no longer is any big pull to bring in foreign talent.
The trend is to try develop talent locally.

If you want to try the local polytechnics and junior colleges you should review your profiles on accessible websites. A gorilla photo might not be serious enough for those hiring. They rarely have a sense of humour that anyone is aware of.

In general the suggestion made to check with the internatiоnal schoοls might be your best option.

Would suggest that you may need more compelling reasons for why to come to Singapore.
Check some of the other blogs for living in Singapore to see if the various "quirks" here would be merely quaint or become tiresome over time.

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:38 am

Thank you I am already looking at the British Council and yes you are right I don think the tuition centres are what I am looking for.
I have been an Education Consultant in the UK and done training, mentoring and Coaching type work so wondered are there any organisations you think I could try in that area?

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:03 am

Maneo
Thank you as your detailed response really is great help .
Thanks for the advice on my gorilla photo but how did you find that , where on the web ?
Just do you know it was a joke photo as I actually took it myself. I love travel and photography so combine the two and you get me in a nutshell gle in Rwanda looking for silverback gorillas with a ranger with a gun incase we get attacked !
I appreciate I need to change it now so thank you .

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Damsel seeking a job

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 1:43 pm

maneo wrote:If you want to try the local polytechnics and junior colleges you should review your profiles on accessible websites. A gorilla photo might not be serious enough for those hiring. They rarely have a sense of humour that anyone is aware of.
:D Aint that the truth.

njscarrott: Good luck in your search. There are opportunities but they aren't so obvious.

For that matter, even though it may sound silly, for a lot of my friends who have different experience and educational background, they found Dubai easier to navigate. You may give that a though, especially since Dubai still has attractive packages for western expats.

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks again everyone for finding time to reply this is all helping me do much .

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 16 Jul 2016 8:40 am

njscarrott wrote:Maneo
Thank you as your detailed response really is great help .
Thanks for the advice on my gorilla photo but how did you find that , where on the web ?
Are you serious? You gave your name and education / employment profile. The name could be fake, but at the point it matched the profile it was already verified (with a good score at least).

Taking about profiling, you show an interesting characteristics. In some of your post you put a space in front of the punctuation marks, while in some other, not. What is interesting, you are rather consequent in this (you don't mix up the 2 systems). Are the njscarrott's posts written by two or more people or you still struggle to use the correct form?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 16 Jul 2016 9:27 am

I want to come to Singapore from the Uk as the education system out there is highly regarded across the idle and it s a relatively safe place to live I understand .
The above statement is factually correct although you may notice that the choice of verbs you used determines whether one refers to a perception or an actual situation.

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Mon, 18 Jul 2016 5:31 am

Hi the differences are probably due to the fact sometimes I use my phone to type replies and sometimes my computer. If I am using the phone whilst travelling alas it appears I am more likely to make an error .
Can you tell me how you got a score for my profile then as I did it fuly understand this part of your message ? Thank you

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 18 Jul 2016 7:24 am

Good score = high likelihood. It was about matching your name with the rest of the data. Your name yields many hits (Google), but knowing you are in education and also work(ed) for an academic institution its rather trivial to find your profile, for example on the ResearchGate.

For the "space", I don't think this is the case - there are posts sent from the same IP within one hour and one is this, and the other that way. Unless you use your mobile/pc as a wifi hot spot for the other device.

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Mon, 18 Jul 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks for ensuring I understand .

Return to “Announcement, Help & FAQ”