Singapore Expats

REP extended for a year and what next

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
giganto

REP extended for a year and what next

Post by giganto » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 6:22 am

Currently I am living in Europe for studying. My REP is extended until june next year. I feel like going back to SG for finding employment in semiconductor industry.
Do you feel it is wise to go back to SG? Can I extend my REP next year if I am employed? Just in case I cannot find employment in semiconductor, I think I still can work in service for the mean time.
Last edited by giganto on Thu, 07 Jul 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: REP extended for a year and what next

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:05 am

giganto wrote:Currently I am living in Europe for studying. My REP is extended until june next year. I feel like going back to SG for finding employment in semiconductor industry.
Do you feel it is wise to go back to SG? Can I extend my REP next year if I am employed? Just in case I cannot find employment in semiconductor, I think I still can work in service for the mean time.
Btw, I am Indonesian.
Please tell us the below

1. Did you get your PR under the PTS Scheme?
2. How long are you out of SG?
3. Did you inform ICA that you are traveling out of SG for studies?
4. Were you working in SG before and any CPF contribution during that time?

SF

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:06 am

giganto wrote:I feel like going back to SG for finding employment in semiconductor industry.
Do you feel it is wise to go back to SG?
Only you can decide that based on your professional and personal circumstances. (Note that it's not free to be a Singapore PR. You have MediShield Life premiums to pay, at least.) However, if you're asking whether it's wise to live and work in Singapore (genuinely) if you want to have the best chance of renewing your Re-Entry Permit, yes, it's wise. Regardless, your PR status is lost if you are caught outside Singapore without a valid, unexpired Re-Entry Permit. Your PR status endures if you get back into Singapore before your REP expires and don't leave Singapore -- not even a ferry ride to Batam -- unless and until you obtain a valid, unexpired REP.
Can I extend my REP next year if I am employed?
Probably, but that'll be up to ICA based on the facts and circumstances at the time you apply for renewal. ICA can approve your REP renewal for 5 years, reject it outright, or renew your REP for a term of less than 5 years.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:43 am

OP. You need to be back in Singapore in a job before that REP expires if you want to extend it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

giganto

Re: RE: Re: REP extended for a year and what next

Post by giganto » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:04 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
giganto wrote:I feel like going back to SG for finding employment in semiconductor industry.
Do you feel it is wise to go back to SG?
Only you can decide that based on your professional and personal circumstances. (Note that it's not free to be a Singapore PR. You have MediShield Life premiums to pay, at least.) However, if you're asking whether it's wise to live and work in Singapore (genuinely) if you want to have the best chance of renewing your Re-Entry Permit, yes, it's wise. Regardless, your PR status is lost if you are caught outside Singapore without a valid, unexpired Re-Entry Permit. Your PR status endures if you get back into Singapore before your REP expires and don't leave Singapore -- not even a ferry ride to Batam -- unless and until you obtain a valid, unexpired REP.
Can I extend my REP next year if I am employed?
Probably, but that'll be up to ICA based on the facts and circumstances at the time you apply for renewal. ICA can approve your REP renewal for 5 years, reject it outright, or renew your REP for a term of less than 5 years.
I got the PR in the mid 2000. I wasn't sure what type of PR, I got it after I did polytechnic and find a job.
Yes it's been extended for a year only. I didn't inform ICA I wanted to study, but they give me 1 year extension until next June.

How's the job outlook in SG now for an engineering graduates like me (mechanical NTU and a European master) ?

I feel lost in Europe actually and want to go back.

giganto

Post by giganto » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:06 pm

PNGMK wrote:OP. You need to be back in Singapore in a job before that REP expires if you want to extend it.
Is any type of job will do? I have worked fulltime in a restaurant before just in case I can't find any real engineering job.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:23 pm

giganto wrote:How's the job outlook in SG now for an engineering graduates like me (mechanical NTU and a European master) ?
We don't really know who you are like, but if you're asking about typical experiences, the labor market in Singapore is currently, generally tighter (more favorable to employees) than it is in Europe. Obviously you'll need to see what job offers you can get if you want to work in Singapore. Yes, in principle any legal job in Singapore will do, but you should still aim for your maximum potential (and consistency with your goals and aspirations). Singapore is not the most affordable place to live, so an adequate income is important. Also, it shouldn't be a role that then involves an overseas posting. Some overseas business travel is OK, though, but you have to be an actual, genuine resident of Singapore to have the best chance of a REP renewal. ICA will look at your Income Tax Notices of Assessment and CPF contributions to get an idea of what you've been up to. Some jobs barely leave a mark in those records, and those would not be the most helpful REP renewal jobs. Also, if you ever plan to sponsor a foreigner -- a future spouse, for example -- to move to Singapore, ICA will take your income into account in deciding whether to grant a LTVP or PR.

Taking a guess, if you're thinking of acquiring a European citizenship, that's probably fine, but note that time spent in a European country as a student almost never counts as residence time toward acquisition of a European citizenship. It's not easy to maintain Singapore PR status (and get REP renewals) while trying to clock sufficient residence time in Europe to acquire a citizenship there. If you can thread that needle, great, but it's difficult.

If you had no PR or citizen sponsor (no family ties) then you presumably obtained your PR status via the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers Scheme (PTS). PTS PR status tolerates bouts of unemployment or overseas activities but does require evidence of employment (or self-employment income), in Singapore, to get a REP renewal until you reach age 55 or thereabouts. Subject to change, but that seems to be ICA's current practice.

Your one year REP renewal is a strong signal from ICA that you won't be granted another REP unless and until you adequately demonstrate actual residence in Singapore. I would interpret the one year renewal as a "final warning," or even that ICA was generous on this occasion in giving you this warning.

giganto

Post by giganto » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:45 pm

Last edited by giganto on Thu, 07 Jul 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 1:03 pm

giganto wrote:1. I was a naive young men.
I assume you meant "man."

....But why write that? It seems like you were very smart. In your case, you have the option to return to Singapore before you attempt to renew your REP. You're a PR, still, and you don't need any visa or work pass. You just get on a plane (or ship?) and go, whenever you want. You are not required to return to Singapore. It's an option, not an obligation. If you don't return, you just lose PR status, that's all. Whatever other alternatives you have to Singapore would still be available.

If you had not applied for and acquired PR status, and if you now want to move to Singapore, you would be trying to find an employer who can and will sponsor you for an Employment Pass (or other, suitable work permission, if available). That's much more difficult.

giganto

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: REP extended for a year and what next

Post by giganto » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 1:38 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
giganto wrote:1. I was a naive young men.
I assume you meant "man."

....But why write that? It seems like you were very smart. In your case, you have the option to return to Singapore before you attempt to renew your REP. You're a PR, still, and you don't need any visa or work pass. You just get on a plane (or ship?) and go, whenever you want. You are not required to return to Singapore. It's an option, not an obligation. If you don't return, you just lose PR status, that's all. Whatever other alternatives you have to Singapore would still be available.

If you had not applied for and acquired PR status, and if you now want to move to Singapore, you would be trying to find an employer who can and will sponsor you for an Employment Pass (or other, suitable work permission, if available). That's much more difficult.
I am sorry for the spelling mistake, but 'a' is 'e' here. My English deteoriates from learning the language.

I have a local GF here which makes thing complicated but she supports any decision I make. If she's out of the equation, I have already fled to Singapore.

I know Singapore is a very expensive city, but anywhere is expensive nowadays in western Europe.
Last edited by giganto on Thu, 07 Jul 2016 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 2:12 pm

Come home young man.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!