Singapore Expats

Singapore PR renewal

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sharmila77

Singapore PR renewal

Post by Sharmila77 » Wed, 06 Jul 2016 5:51 pm

I was retrenched Oct'2015 from MNC Singapore, I tried job hardly, can't get any good job in Singapore until now. I drastically taken a decision to move to India, I shifted my family (Dec'15) to Chennai and got schooling. I am working in Chennai at one Singapore company (back office in Chennai), getting SGD 1,800 per month and paying CPF every month in Singapore.

My PR renewal due on Nov'16. Since I can't get good job in Singapore, as my both son's got good schooling in Chennai, I don't think I would shift back to Singapore again with my family again. My question is, can I renew my PR only myself and my wife, excluded my sons?

Where should I get a correct answer my question. If any one of you have this same scenario, kindly help me.

Tks
Sar

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Singapore PR renewal

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 06 Jul 2016 10:23 pm

firstly can you explain why or how you would be paying CPF in Singapore if you're being paid in India? I assume the Singapore company is paying you into your Singapore bank account and you're still paying CPF?

I would expect you might have a chance (1) of PR renewal - maybe with only 1 year but perhaps 5 as you have 3 years within the last 5 of earning an income in Singapore.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 06 Jul 2016 11:26 pm

Are you working for a Singapore registered company or an Indian registered company?

And of course, he wants to exclude his sons so they don't have to do NS.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 7:51 am

Strong Eagle wrote:And of course, he wants to exclude his sons so they don't have to do NS.
The sons may already be legally required to perform National Service when they reach NS age regardless of whether their Re-Entry Permits are renewed at this point in time. It depends on their ages and circumstances. Hopefully it's obvious that it's a supremely dumb idea to avoid trying to renew their REPs if they are already legally required to serve NS in Singapore. They'd then end up with the biggest obligation to Singapore without any ability to enjoy rights and privileges afforded to PRs -- not a happy combination.

Moreover, ICA is certainly free to take into consideration your failure to renew their REPs at the same time you attempt to renew yours. Most genuine residents of Singapore want to live with their children in Singapore, at least at some point. Also, ICA might consider what you're attempting to do to be a form of fraud, in the civil sense. Presumably ICA approved your PR status (and previous REP renewals, if any) as a family unit, or at least with the expectation of future children. Now you want to deprive Singapore of their (male) children. "Not cool," ICA might decide.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:26 pm

Sharmila77 wrote:I was retrenched Oct'2015 from MNC Singapore, I tried job hardly, can't get any good job in Singapore until now. I drastically taken a decision to move to India, I shifted my family (Dec'15) to Chennai and got schooling. I am working in Chennai at one Singapore company (back office in Chennai), getting SGD 1,800 per month and paying CPF every month in Singapore.

My PR renewal due on Nov'16. Since I can't get good job in Singapore, as my both son's got good schooling in Chennai, I don't think I would shift back to Singapore again with my family again. My question is, can I renew my PR only myself and my wife, excluded my sons?

Where should I get a correct answer my question. If any one of you have this same scenario, kindly help me.

Tks
Sar
To get a correct answer to your question, you should ask ICA directly. You will not be happy with advice that the regulars will give here anyway, so best to ask straight from the horse's mouth - if you can saddle up that horse yourself.

But if you want preliminary answers before you check with ICA, here are the basic answers:

1. You can try to renew PR for yourself and your wife and exclude your sons.

2. But very likely it will be rejected and your PR for whole family will be terminated when REP expires if you are still in India.

3. Because if you are in Singapore when your REP expires, your PR will still be intact as long as you don't step out of Singapore.

4. If, and only if you apply for whole family, and your REP gets approved, in your situation, you will probably get one-year REP. This is to make sure you have enough time to (a) move back to Singapore, (b) get a job in Singapore, (c) get your kids to study in Singapore.

You may not like this, but this is a truthful as it can get. For clarification, best to ask ICA directly.

And oh, your sons are still liable for NS regardless whether you have REP or not. Best to renounce their PR before the required age (I think 13? That's a different topic for you to check separately) if you really want to burn bridges for them in Singapore.