Singapore Expats

Buying computer equipment/parts from the US?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
yhelothar

Buying computer equipment/parts from the US?

Post by yhelothar » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 2:57 pm

I notice that the price difference from buying something from the US with the custom fees + shipping is oftentimes way cheaper than buying it locally. For example, I'm looking at this Dell P2715Q 4K monitor that goes for S$850 direct from Dell at Sim Lim Square and S$899 for the lowest price online. On ebay I could get the same monitor for S$500-600 with custom fees and shipping.

I've read on some places that packages often get stuck in customs with USPS Priority International. How have your experiences been getting things shipped over from the US? On the other hand, when I lived in the US, I sold many items to international people on ebay and I almost never had an issue getting the package to the buyer. There was only one specific instance where the item never made it and I had to eat it as a loss. I never sold to Singapore in specific though, so I'm wondering if it's particularly bad getting things shipped into Singapore from the US?
Last edited by yhelothar on Thu, 10 Mar 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Buying computer equipment/parts from the US?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 3:01 pm

I've made over 500 purchases from the US in the last 7 years. I've never had any problems using either USPS, DHL, UPS, or even the Global Shipping Program that eBay does in conjunction with Pitney-Bowes. But I don't like their charges. But problems? none.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yhelothar

Post by yhelothar » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 3:08 pm

Good to hear!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 3:17 pm

Also made many purchases from the US including Amazon and Ebay. Usually below the GST limit but never with any serious delays at least for trackable items.

On the other hand, I can acknowledge that from time to time purchases from Ebay seem like get stuck for up to a few weeks and then bunch of them arriving all together. This, not really specific to any country.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 5:28 pm

When making purchases from Amazon, be sure to use both the US and the UK amazon sites. If electrical the US site might not be of any usage as they use 110V there whereas here it's 240V. Using the UK site will be 240 and they also use the same 3 pin plug as Singapore. For other stuff I find the shipping sometimes cheaper than ordering from the US. I've even had stuff from Amazon.co.uk that originated in the US and received it cheaper than what it was by ordering from the US. Go figure! But it makes good sense to check out both sites. If order books, Try Book Depository in the UK. Free shipping worldwide.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 5:38 pm

Good example is I recently order a KREG benchtop router table from the US eBay site (eBay $189 Amazon $229 and the shipping was cheaper via eBay). An additional accessory but a necessary one was an intermediate switch box because of the need to clamp the router power trigger to ON. The emergency kill switch plugs into the power line and the router plugs into the kill switch. It has a red and green off and on buttons but also has a big mushroom red kill button that you can hit with just about any part of your body after you slice through one of your fingers in order to shut it off. I found 240v one in the UK that allowed it and rated for it. They arrived a couple of days ago.

Mytrix

Post by Mytrix » Tue, 28 Jun 2016 7:29 pm

I have no problems either shipping from the US. Rarely some packages get stuck for customs processing for a week, but that's ok.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jun 2016 9:06 pm

Mytrix wrote:I have no problems either shipping from the US. Rarely some packages get stuck for customs processing for a week, but that's ok.

Do you have any problem receiving shipping from the US? Seeing as how you are posting from the US. In fact, I think this will be your last post regarding all things connected with Amazon as you appear to be a shill for them. You can leave your passive link in your signature but you cannot refer to it nor directs readers to it. Any infractions will result in termination of your account.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jun 2016 9:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mytrix wrote:I have no problems either shipping from the US. Rarely some packages get stuck for customs processing for a week, but that's ok.

Would you be so kind as to explain why you are posting from a California ISP while claiming to be here in Singapore? Curosity....

Mytrix

Post by Mytrix » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Would you be so kind as to explain why you are posting from a California ISP while claiming to be here in Singapore? Curosity....

I fly back and forth to Singapore. Sorry if that bothers you, I only want to share some of my experience shopping. This will be my last post about the topic. :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 7:32 am

Sure. I only wonder if you have a permission to use parts from the Amazon's logo in the logo on your page and if you are allowed to use the phrase "amazon singapore" clearly suggesting your links with Amazon?