Singapore Expats

Popular online shopping sites (eg like Amazon) in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 3:27 pm

x9200 wrote:The statement is wrong "vPost works great" unless we understand it differently. Before I switched to another provider I used them few good times and frankly, I don't remember a single case when everything went smoothly. Numerous problems matching the invoices with the parcels to start with and they are relaying on speedpost services to finish which not really deliver. I can tell you all the stories over a beer or seven next time we meet :)
Ok, I've never had a problem, but yes, they use Speedpost, but isn't that cause they are owned by Singpost?
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 4:36 pm

Yes, but it does not change the fact, does it? I would be more sympathetic if the invoice-parcel pairing part was done ok, but again, from my experience it is not. I switched to comgateway and so far no serious issues.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 5:27 pm

I may try comgateway then, thanks
nutnut

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 9:49 am

About vpost, what do I do if my order arrives at their US address in two separate boxes, but I only have one invoice and no clue as to how they split it up for packaging reasons (unfortunately each box has a separate tracking number - though both were sent simultaneously)?

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 7:32 pm

Can try gmarket and dealextreme. Dealextreme even give free shipping.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 19 May 2012 2:10 pm

zzm9980 wrote:There are a few random online stores that will ship to Singapore for cheap/free, and sell at discount US/Amazon prices.

One good one for shoes/accessories/some clothing is: http://www.endless.com/

I had a few more somewhere, I'll update later if I can find them. Otherwise I just shop from Amazon US and pay for shipping.
This one is mainly about shoes it seems, plus some accessories.

Any sites like www.6pm.com which ship to Singapore and have such great prices?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 19 May 2012 2:18 pm

x9200 wrote:I switched to comgateway and so far no serious issues.
What is the most convenient way to use them, via their direct site or one of the bank "skins" like the OCBC one?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 19 May 2012 2:54 pm

Bluefly.com ships here too, and now has a 10% discount for international orders.

Endless is indeed just shoes and accessories, but it has great prices and free shipping. Can't go wrong, especially considering how damn expensive shoes are here compared to the US. Plus the challenge of finding shoes in my size (44-45).

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 19 May 2012 7:53 pm

I checked them out but they have so little stuff compared to 6pm.com.

juansanchez

Online shopping in Singapore

Post by juansanchez » Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:21 am

This is one of the issues of Singapore, the high shipping costs you have to pay if you want products from US or Europe for example.

For Books, http://www.bookdepository.com/ as mentioned before is not a bad option.

http://www.Lazada.com is one of the Amazon clones which has been buzzing more lately. I've tried and it works pretty well

Regarding online shopping for clothing and apparel visit https://lasambucalifestyle.com You will find unique products like sandals, sneakers, beach dresses, etc around Europe, with a Mediterranean touch.

Anyway, I think things are getting better around here

Cheers,

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 3:32 am

QRM wrote:When a local describes an item as brand new in the box, to me that would mean unopened manufacture seals intact, when you push them it turns out they took it out to "test" which means it is not BNIB for all I know the guy could have used it everyday for months before cleaning it and sticking it back in the box.

You always see "PM me to discuss" in ads. for a country that markets itself on a concept of total transparency there seems to be a polar opposite mindset with the general population.
There is business and then there is better business. Many stores in the US actually sell opened returns at a discounted price. Bestbuy, bed bath and beyond etc.

I actually did not know that there was a 7 day return in Singapore, I thought there was NO return policy at all.

I have been struggling to get a couple of new lenses for my camera but was holding back as I wanted to be sure I want them before I spent like 1k per lens, now I can get them and see how they work for me and return them if I don't like em. I will check about returns with the store before buying though.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 8:34 am

vishalgupta2 wrote:I actually did not know that there was a 7 day return in Singapore, I thought there was NO return policy at all.

I have been struggling to get a couple of new lenses for my camera but was holding back as I wanted to be sure I want them before I spent like 1k per lens, now I can get them and see how they work for me and return them if I don't like em. I will check about returns with the store before buying though.
As you said, check with the individual stores. I am not aware of any local law justifying these 7 days and majority of so called reputable camera shops does not have such policy.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Popular online shopping sites (eg like Amazon) in Singap

Post by Brah » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 12:25 am

Timely thread revival - I'm looking at cameras, in the Canon G12 / Fuji X-10 / Nikon P7100 range.

With the new G1X and P7700 the others have already started coming down in price, but they're still something like $200 more expensive than in the States taking shipping and the currency exchange into consideration.

Problem is Amazon often doesn't ship cameras internationally (though BH and surely others do).

Not sure how Amazon Prime works internationally.
x9200 wrote:
jbsing wrote:I understand there's no Amazon in Singapore. I doubt it would be cost efficient paying Amazon's international postage.
If this is Amazon itself (and not some thrid parties under their umbrella) then it is very cost effective. The problem is Amazon does not ship too many things to Singapore but buying books or DVDs/CDs from them together with the shipment is very reasonable. It looks like Amazon has its own shipment channels to Singapore. I bought some time ago a few photo albums from them with the combined weight over 5kg, paid IIRC something between 10-20USD for the shipment and had them delivered to my door within a week by a nice lady wearing an Amazon t-shirt.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 9:09 am

For me this $200 difference of which probably $50-100 will be eaten out by the shipment costs and then there is this question whether what is left is good enough to live without an effective warranty. We had such discussion before.

Mytrix

Re: Popular online shopping sites (eg like Amazon) in Singapore?

Post by Mytrix » Tue, 28 Jun 2016 6:35 pm

jbsing wrote:Hi,

I understand there's no Amazon in Singapore. I doubt it would be cost efficient paying Amazon's international postage. So is there a shopping site in Singapore similar to Amazon (i.e. has everything and possibly reviews)?

Is ebay popular in Singapore? I've had a browse and got the feeling it wasnt that popular. Maybe I am wrong. What are the popular sites for people to sell unwanted items?

Can you please suggests some popular websites (ideally has everything like amazon) that people in Singapore use for online shopping.

thank you in advance.

Amazon now ships free to Singapore (just to let you know). Everyone probably knows this by now -Amazon free shipping to Singapore
Last edited by Mytrix on Sat, 10 Jun 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.