Singapore Expats

I think i have a flip-flopping manager with spinning tires

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

I think i have a flip-flopping manager with spinning tires

Post by Sporkin » Sat, 25 Jun 2016 6:24 pm

Well the title pretty much sums up what I think about his leadership, and consequently most of us on the team are being pushed doing things urgently that subsequently gets reversed(also urgently). I don't think he lacks 'management' skills per se as much as it is the fear of putting his neck on the line by going with whatever direction he thinks its right. The feel is that of a car with spinning tires failing to gain traction and just moving around in a circle.

Have any of you experience that in your department? And what ultimately came of it?
Is it ever good to have spinning tires? I can understand down time, but this is not, this seems a useless expenditure of the team's focus.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: I think i have a flip-flopping manager with spinning tires

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 26 Jun 2016 6:53 pm

i've had a guy very similar to yours, would sit on the fence when it came to decision making and it could go either way depending on what was favourable at that time.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Re: I think i have a flip-flopping manager with spinning tires

Post by Sporkin » Mon, 27 Jun 2016 5:07 pm

So how did it go for him and his team?

I do understand when you are assailed on all fronts by KPI, cost cutting, falling sales, and when the lay of the land is unbeknownst to you, that you proceed cautiously and perhaps retreat when you scout an insurmountable foe. Is in-action the best action? Perhaps hunkering down and fortifying while waiting for another (friendly) team to be axed is the strategy in play.

Would this be the norm? This is the first time I've encountered this.
rajagainstthemachine wrote:i've had a guy very similar to yours, would sit on the fence when it came to decision making and it could go either way depending on what was favourable at that time.