Singapore Expats

Third Tower at MBS

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Third Tower at MBS

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 21 Jun 2016 5:34 pm

Coming Soon ....
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) says it would like to build a new hotel tower of approximately 1,000 rooms at its Marina Bay Sands resort (pictured) in Singapore, along with an entertainment arena. No budget was mentioned for the possible project, nor was there discussion of the number of seats the arena might have.

The firm’s chairman and chief executive Sheldon Adelson gave the news on Wednesday in New York during ‘Bernstein’s 32nd Annual Strategic Decisions Conference 2016’, held under the AllianceBernstein LP branding.

“They [the Singapore authorities] want an arena,” to bring a greater range of events to the local market, said the Las Vegas Sands founder.

“So we’ve designed an arena, we presented it to the government, and it looks like they will sell us the land to do it. We’ve got to pencil out the numbers, to see if the arena can pay [for itself]. But we are also looking at another 1,000 maybe 1,200 rooms in an extra room tower,” Mr Adelson said at a question and answer session during the investor conference. He added that the property currently had 2,563 room keys.

“I was there [in Singapore] two weeks ago… and the government is really anxious to get it done. So as soon as they tell us what the [land] price is, and we can pencil that out… then I think we could design and plan it before the end of this year. We’ve already got designs,” stated the Las Vegas Sands chairman.

“We retained the same architect we used to build the Marina Bay Sands,” he added.

Moshe Safdie was the architect used for the existing Marina Bays Sands site, which had its official opening in June 2010.

Mr Adelson said at the investor briefing: “To make it [the new tower] similar, we’ve got a rooftop pool, but it [the pool] won’t connect with the existing [Sands] SkyPark pool… It’ll be something new and good and beautiful.”

He added: “The variable profit from these 1,000 additional rooms… will be a big help to us.”
http://www.ggrasia.com/lvs-hopes-to-bui ... a-chairman
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Third Tower at MBS

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:56 pm

^^^^^^
Sheldon Adelson - now there's a real snake.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 22 Jun 2016 1:10 am

After having visited MBS, I just don't see the necessity of another tower. I don't know how it would add to the vibrancy. Why is SG govt so eager? To bring in more high rollers? Run out of ideas to grow the economy of the country?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Jun 2016 7:36 am

earthfriendly wrote:After having visited MBS, I just don't see the necessity of another tower. I don't know how it would add to the vibrancy. Why is SG govt so eager? To bring in more high rollers? Run out of ideas to grow the economy of the country?

Singaproe equates growth with progress. They measure growth via GDP. GDP is driven in a large part by construction here. I think you can safely assume a lot of MP's have equity in construction firms. The whole is sickening.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 22 Jun 2016 10:05 am

As far as I know, National Stadium is Singapore's only large, air conditioned arena. (Air conditioned for spectators at least. It has a "seat side" cooling system, and the roof can be closed.) It seats up to 55,000. However, Singapore probably could use a true indoor arena that's larger than the adjacent Singapore Indoor Stadium (~10,000) but smaller (perhaps only slightly smaller) than the National Stadium. Maybe after getting a new, mid-sized arena the Marina Bay Floating Platform survives, or maybe not. My recollection is that the Floating Platform was advertised as temporary, but it has lasted longer than originally forecast.

Singapore has a reasonable amount of indoor exposition space (including some at Marina Bay), but there could be a genuine arena gap. Perhaps this isn't such a crazy idea. A new arena won't solve Singapore's cultural deficit (and the Les Mis kiss censorship hasn't helped), but it's a start.

The MGM in Las Vegas has lots of exhibition space and a ~17,000 arena, and the combination has proven quite useful. I expect that if the government and Adelson can reach an agreement you'll see the new arena built adjacent to the existing exhibition/convention space and with some expansion of that convention space, too. I think they'll aim for a ~25,000 seat arena (about 50% larger than the MGM's arena and also larger than the new T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas). They might even try to give some of the hotel rooms arena views, much like the 70 stadium view rooms in Toronto's Renaissance Hotel. (Although, if they do that, the government will insist on one-way window glass. From time to time amorous couples staying at the Renaissance have given Toronto's baseball fans an extra show.)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 22 Jun 2016 3:18 pm

And where would they build this? Behind MBS on the Gardens by the Bay side?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 22 Jun 2016 4:36 pm

bgd wrote:And where would they build this? Behind MBS on the Gardens by the Bay side?
Next to Tower 1 I suppose, where Cirque du Soleil had a tent for Totem. There is an empty land at the moment. I can see where Adelson says that the rooftop pool will be equal but not joining to the existing one.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 22 Jun 2016 6:18 pm

There's quite a bit of space available, it appears, although there might be some roadway work required (an underpass or bypass) since an arena is rather "chunky." I would be surprised if the developers and the government hadn't penciled in this idea years ago and left themselves the option.

Now it's starting to make sense why Marina Bay Sands is currently located at Bayfront MRT, not at Marina Bay MRT. Soon enough, perhaps, Marina Bay MRT will also be within the same development. ;)