Singapore Expats

Chance of getting a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
DaveS

Chance of getting a job?

Post by DaveS » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 8:26 pm

Hi all,
I was searching for answers and stumbled across this forum. I'll start with a bit of background. I am a 28 year old UK citizen (male), my girlfriend is a 24 year old Singapore citizen. We met while she was over here in the UK completing her degree and have been together just over a year. Plan was that she was going to remain in the UK with me, however circumstances have changed and she is now needing to go back to Singapore to look after her parents and wants me to return with her. I have been to Singapore with her once for 3 weeks last year, not worked there or been there previously.

I'm happy to go with her but I fear it would be problematic for me to be able to get a job. I have no formally recognised qualifications and work an entry level job in the UK. From what I've read so far it seems highly unlikely I would be offered entry level jobs in Singapore, is this the case?

Would applying for LTVP make any difference to this? I'm aware we have to be married first and would be happy to wait and not go over straight away if this route would prove a better option. I've looked at the online application form and noticed you have to state education and employment details. Would I be declined approval due to lack of education/limited earning potential?

If anyone could give me any indication if I'd have any chance or if it'd be impossible I'd be very grateful.

x9200

Re: Chance of getting a job?

Post by x9200 » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 10:12 pm

What is your area and how much of experience (years) do you have in this area?

DaveS

Post by DaveS » Thu, 16 Jun 2016 6:17 pm

Service sector jobs - worked in retail last 2 years, waited tables for a couple of years before that, drove taxis for 6 months, no work experience that would really be of any value. From what I've read these kind of jobs are only available for foreigners of source countries?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jun 2016 8:32 pm

Sadly, your reading and interpretation is accurate. It's very unlikely and I would say virtually nil chances of finding work here. WHP is the only thing and you are not eligible for that as you would need to be in Uni or just out of Uni so that won't fly and even if it did, it only good for a couple of months. I afraid I don't really have any truely viable suggestions.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Chance of getting a job?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:35 pm

DaveS wrote:Service sector jobs - worked in retail last 2 years, waited tables for a couple of years before that, drove taxis for 6 months, no work experience that would really be of any value. From what I've read these kind of jobs are only available for foreigners of source countries?
Taxis are reserved for Singaporeans ...

Others, you have a chance if you get yourself a long term pass or something like that ..

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:23 pm

Some bus drivers ("bus captains") are foreign workers. Of those that are, most are Chinese and Malaysian. The starting salary is about S$2000/month, for reference.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 1:15 pm

According to this document:
http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/ ... 62308.html
they are or were on WP, meaning no option for the OP, besides, I don't really think it would be that straight forward to convert a foreign track or bus DL even if the OP had one.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:34 pm

If you could get LTVP+ driving for Uber might get you going. They have no restrictions on foreigners driving. Another option is to study and upgrade your skills. What race is your gf? This will have a HUGE impact on how her family sees their daughter dating an unqualified westerner...
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:52 pm

PNGMK wrote:This will have a HUGE impact on how her family sees their daughter dating an unqualified westerner...
And .. a Taxi driving foreigner !!

Of course, marriage will speed up stuff ;)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 9:05 pm

PNGMK wrote:If you could get LTVP+ driving for Uber might get you going.
A LTVP is sufficient for these purposes, but what would be the basis for a LTVP of any sort? A Letter of Consent would still be required, but has Uber ever sponsored one?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:07 pm

He could create a company... that's actually the early form Uber neeeded for drivers... they had to create a company and then contract to Uber.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:29 pm

I reckon talking about Uber will be a nul game as I'm sure the first time somebody tries it, it will be placed off limits like massage parlours, hair stylists, etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I reckon talking about Uber will be a nul game as I'm sure the first time somebody tries it, it will be placed off limits like massage parlours, hair stylists, etc.
The revised rules for Uber and Grab are going in that direction :) Sort of placing them off limits ..

kathylien

Post by kathylien » Wed, 22 Jun 2016 2:51 pm

Times are tough at the moment in Singapore. It will be pretty hard to get a job here

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 1:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I reckon talking about Uber will be a nul game as I'm sure the first time somebody tries it, it will be placed off limits like massage parlours, hair stylists, etc.
Who is allowed to be Hair Stylist/Barber in Singapore?

I have been here 8 years and at a push , maybe the Malay Uncle is a Singapore Citizen , the rest have been from all over the place.
Life is short, paddle harder!!