Singapore Expats

EP or dependent pass

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Jessica.teng

EP or dependent pass

Post by Jessica.teng » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:04 am

Need some advice - Both me and my husband will be moving to Singapore and will have a job of our own in different company. Both company can offer EP, my questions are:

1) are there any advantage of getting EP versus dependent pass as both allow to work?

2)If I get EP do I need to leave Singapore if I don't work with the company anymore and would I need to apply for dependent pass then?

3) should I just get dependent pass to prevent the above scenario?

4) in terms of salary pay, is there any difference between EP and DP?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: EP or dependent pass

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:36 am

EP is usually the better of the two as if you are a DP then your employment is contingent on your spouse who hold the EP continuing to have a job. (A DP holder actually works on a Letter of Consent which expires when the DP does - the DP expires when the EP holder's pass is cancelled. Therefore, it's much better if both have EP's that way if one loses their job the other doesn't and can still help in the interim until the other finds a new position. Otherwise you could find both out of jobs at the same time.

IF the EP is lost by one, they can always go on a DP under the other EP holder until they manage to find another position (either as a DP on a Loc or on their own EP.

Working on a DP (LoC) will generally see you being taken advantage of as the employer will know that you are a dependent and therefore there is another working as the main supporter of the family unit so they will try to short change you. You will likely not receive any expat perks as well. However, the labour market is tight here and finding a position, even on an LoC is difficult so it's hard to be choosy here.

Take the EP if you can get it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jessica.teng

Post by Jessica.teng » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 3:23 pm

Thank you as this is very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 5:08 pm

EP.... for sure. That's all my wife has ever used (apart from a very short period when she was unemployed looking after our kid). EP guarantee's a minimum salary level (floor) as well due to govt regulations. DP = slavery.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 5:33 pm

^^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers