Singapore Expats

Visitor/guest charge not mentioned in rental agreement

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ajithisaac

Re: Visitor/guest charge not mentioned in rental agreement

Post by ajithisaac » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:01 am

x9200 wrote:Why your housemates insisted to inform the LL? Makes completely no sense to me. If you still want to negotiate with the LL instead of just going ahead and ignoring her baseless request, ask what is this money for? Ask, if she is aware that if this is like (de facto) renting part of the premises to your brother, what would actually be illegal and whether she is absolutely sure she wants to do the illegal thing.
Actually, I think that is a perfect solution. I will ignore her for now and if she insists, I will bring up the legality of de facto renting and see what she says.
Thank you for that suggestion.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:11 am

Just in case you don't know, the illegality comes from the URA regulations prohibiting any private property leases shorter than 6 months. Here is the link:
https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/buy-property ... ntial.aspx

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 12:32 pm

x9200 wrote:Just in case you don't know, the illegality comes from the URA regulations prohibiting any private property leases shorter than 6 months. Here is the link:
What does this have to do with someone coming to stay at your place as a guest for a week... or two... or three?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 12:41 pm

As I wrote earlier, it has to do with the the payment the LL demands. What is this payment for? It is de facto a payment for the lease to this extra guy. It is not a payment for the utilities as the agreement covers some fixed amount and the excess is paid by the tenants.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 2:28 pm

My 2 cents: and hoping not to ruffle any feathers.

Logically you should be allowed guest etc, etc.

But considering Singapore and how Kiasu the landlords can be, the landlord has every right to say "NO".

But then again, if he says he wants X $ for additional tenant, vs saying NO, I wonder what difference does it make.

I once had a landlord who told the same, like pay x $ extra, and when I asked him, he was like - so I don't start letting weekly visitors and then soon the neighbor will smell a illegal rental ..

If your landlord is so, you have a choice : move to another place. Throwing the book at the landlord won't get you anywhere. The Landlord maybe crazy, but they are not wrong.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 2:31 pm

ajithisaac wrote:Actually, I think that is a perfect solution. I will ignore her for now and if she insists, I will bring up the legality of de facto renting and see what she says.
Legally you are looking at a landlord who wants the cake and eat it.

For a smart guy like you, I don't get it.

Now if you had rented a whole apartment, preferably up market, with 3 or 4 rooms, this kind of behavior from landlords are rare.

ajithisaac

Post by ajithisaac » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 2:57 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ajithisaac wrote:Actually, I think that is a perfect solution. I will ignore her for now and if she insists, I will bring up the legality of de facto renting and see what she says.
Legally you are looking at a landlord who wants the cake and eat it.

For a smart guy like you, I don't get it.

Now if you had rented a whole apartment, preferably up market, with 3 or 4 rooms, this kind of behavior from landlords are rare.
^Clearly, I wasn't very smart when I got this room. I was desperate to get a place and this place was available immediately so I took it; I'm thankful for that. But I've learnt my lesson now.

ajithisaac

Post by ajithisaac » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 2:58 pm

x9200 wrote:Just in case you don't know, the illegality comes from the URA regulations prohibiting any private property leases shorter than 6 months. Here is the link:
Thanks for this! Really appreciate it!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 3:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:My 2 cents: and hoping not to ruffle any feathers.

Logically you should be allowed guest etc, etc.

But considering Singapore and how Kiasu the landlords can be, the landlord has every right to say "NO".
Or for example "abracadabra". Similar legal effects, but much higher magnitude of expression.

ecriyas4u

Post by ecriyas4u » Mon, 21 Oct 2019 9:38 pm

Your rental agreement states anything about you shitting in the toilet ? Later LL gonna demand you to pay for this ? LL can’t intrude to check your visitors and threaten your privacy. Tell him to suck thumb and move on. If this incur charges to sub tenants , you must bear those charges ( like shared utilities).