Singapore Expats

Question About Child on LTVP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pinkelle

Question About Child on LTVP

Post by pinkelle » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 10:59 am

Hi, we are PRs and my 4 year old son is on LTVP (born outside Singapore) as we may likely not remain here for the long term.

I was just wondering if there were situations where LTVP holders who have left Singapore at an early age were subsequently denied EP or PR when they are adults. I'm not sure how the Govt deems "benefits" as we currently don't have any as we are paying full price for everything including childcare. Thank you.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Question About Child on LTVP

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:10 am

pinkelle wrote:I was just wondering if there were situations where LTVP holders who have left Singapore at an early age were subsequently denied EP or PR when they are adults.
I'm sure there have been (past tense) since the Ministry of Manpower and ICA can decide individual cases however they wish. However, it's impossible to forecast this particular future even in a general sense. The government can change its immigration and national service policies whenever and however it wishes. If you want a reliable, future option for your son to live and work in Singapore then there are only two paths for him: PR (and maintenance of that status) or citizenship. Both require national service when the time comes and if he's fit to serve.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:37 am

pinkelle wrote:Hi, we are PRs and my 4 year old son is on LTVP (born outside Singapore) as we may likely not remain here for the long term.

I was just wondering if there were situations where LTVP holders who have left Singapore at an early age were subsequently denied EP or PR when they are adults. I'm not sure how the Govt deems "benefits" as we currently don't have any as we are paying full price for everything including childcare. Thank you.
I believe there were such cases including problems with REP renewal for the parents if it appeared the male child was not applied PR for, for the reason of avoiding NS.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 10:43 pm

Yes it can be a problem. I personally know of one such case which is still ongoing. We've tried and tried to get him an employment pass to no avail. His father owns the company, but thought he knew everything. I told him 9 years ago what was going to happen and now the kid has finished his M.Sc in the UK and Father wants him to come back and join the company. We've been trying for well over a year. Burned!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers