Singapore Expats

Cable broadband extinct?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
nakatago

Re: Cable broadband extinct?

Post by nakatago » Fri, 08 Apr 2016 8:30 am

x9200 wrote:Directly related to this subject, I have problems to figure out if I am hooked to the fibre or not. The online checker says, yes, I am, but I don't see any related wiring/points neither in the apartment nor in the entire condo. The condo is over 10yo so I don't think there was somebody with a vision especially that this is the worst planned condo I have ever seen. Do they always install the fibre using surface trunking or they try to utilise some existing ducts if the can? Still, there is nothing visible inside the flat.
Maybe online checker just tells you there's fiber at least to the node to that address. The box may not even lead to inside the building. Or even if it does, the connection to individual units may just use what's there. So, fiber just to some box in the building but the building just uses copper/cable.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Apr 2016 10:29 am

You need to have this box inside your house:

http://www.techgoondu.com/wp-content/up ... G_0178.jpg

My house has this. It is wierd that the online checker tells that your house has it.

This link has more info:

https://support.myrepublic.com.sg/hc/en ... d-at-home-

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 7:06 am

This is a huge condo and many units are advertised to have the fibre.
At the corridors there is a false ceiling that may be used to hide the cables. I checked my 2 neighbours and one of them has something coming out form above the ceiling above the doorframe to the wall. The 2nd and myself, nothing.

On the other hand it seems reasonably common practice to implement the fibre just somewhere on the floor and have the rest done as requested - the basic fibre plan of stahub is for example inclusive of the end point:
http://www.starhub.com/personal/broadba ... html#1gbps

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 10:24 am

Yupp, But their $39.90 plans dont have it free, only their $49.90 and above plans.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/broadba ... s.html#200

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 10:08 pm

computer fairs run every 3 months (more or less) - they throw in free fibre points at those shows. at least, they did when i was shopping around the second half of 2015.

pretty sure it's the same for upcoming shows...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 8:49 pm

My StarHub Cable broadband subscription just got an "Automatic Upgrade" (there was no choice to remain on the earlier, cheaper plan which was perfectly sufficient for my needs).

It has now gone up to $49.90 (just say $50 already...).

There is an "offer" for $29.90 (just say $30 already...) 100Mbps Fibre broadband (which of course comes as a contract).

Not liking StarHub much these days.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: Cable broadband extinct?

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 8:53 pm

Brah wrote:My StarHub Cable broadband subscription just got an "Automatic Upgrade" (there was no choice to remain on the earlier, cheaper plan which was perfectly sufficient for my needs).

It has now gone up to $49.90 (just say $50 already...).

There is an "offer" for $29.90 (just say $30 already...) 100Mbps Fibre broadband (which of course comes as a contract).

Not liking StarHub much these days.
What was your broadband speed, before the upgrade? I guess it was lower than 100mbps. What price were you paying?

From my conversation with the customer service, I gathered that if your broadband is already 100mbps, then you can continue with the existing price of $40, because there is no case of upgrade.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 07 Jun 2016 10:43 pm

just got word... (as of june 2016) starhub plans to stop providing cable internet by 2020.

looks like netlink trust and nucleus will stand to profit.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Wed, 08 Jun 2016 3:38 pm

x9200 wrote:Directly related to this subject, I have problems to figure out if I am hooked to the fibre or not. The online checker says, yes, I am, but I don't see any related wiring/points neither in the apartment nor in the entire condo. The condo is over 10yo so I don't think there was somebody with a vision especially that this is the worst planned condo I have ever seen. Do they always install the fibre using surface trunking or they try to utilise some existing ducts if the can? Still, there is nothing visible inside the flat.
In my experience at my previous apartment, which I think was built in '70s, I checked to online (OpenNet now Netlink Trust) to see if my apartment was connected. I got my no contract service with ViewQwest and got a free installation.

They came out and had to run fiber optic wire from central place to my unit (drilling a hole in the wall to access the unit). They covered up this wiring outside the condo using that rectagular plastic wire covering they use in Singapore. Inside the unit, they just used existing plastic covering that already existed for cable wires). I think this installation, if not for free, might have been costly work.

I recently moved to a new condo and paid $100 relocation charge so that might be standard among all fiber optic ISPs. I think they share the money with Netlink Trust.