Singapore Expats

Reddit thread shows how to search for properties Indians are not allowed to rent

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Reddit thread shows how to search for properties Indians are not allowed to rent

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 04 Jun 2016 4:30 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comm ... d_to_rent/

Very intriguing. The search can be tweaked.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Reddit thread shows how to search for properties Indians are not allowed to rent

Post by taxico » Tue, 07 Jun 2016 11:33 pm

i typed a really long reply out. deleted it. replaced with:

i gave a few indian families (between 1-3 kids each) a chance with my rental property. all of them trashed the place beyond belief. i treated them with too much respect and concern, i suspect.

we're talking about soiled diapers left behind in weird places and broken toilets. the place was newly renovated before the first indian family moved in. all the furniture was new (including the commodes, sinks, kitchen, etc) - having been used by myself for about a few months before i moved out. they eventually became burnt (how???) or heavily damaged from abuse.

one family even took the batteries out of my smoke detectors and remote controls when they left! it was not as if i withheld their deposit or treated them unfairly. ALL 3 tenants wanted to move out earlier than the contracted period. only 1 was due to a post out of Singapore. the other 2 found cheaper places to rent.

agents could tell immediately walking through the door that "indians lived (t)here before" - the smell of their spices was so strong and permeated everywhere. no amount of hours by mrs sparkles could make it better - i had to repaint the whole place within 3 years of the first full renovation. why won't they close the kitchen door???

a second property, rented to expats also, but all non-indians, was fine. minimal wear - my expectations were low, especially in comparison. most importantly, rent always paid on time at the second place.

my wife and i started out by wanting to be "equal opportunity landlords" but this was not possible. doesn't make the discrimination right, but i now, with hindsight, thoroughly understand why landlords say "no cooking, no indians."

all i can say was, it was almost as-if the offending families lived like squatters. they were not, but to me, they behaved that way.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Reddit thread shows how to search for properties Indians are not allowed to rent

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 08 Jun 2016 9:06 am

Well my post wasn't to disparage Indians but to show a rather curious way of searching for properties based on race... you could do the same thing with "no PRC".
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 08 Jun 2016 3:07 pm

i think i got a bit too involve with reading the posts on reddit...! : )
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam