Singapore Expats

Should register marriage first or apply for LTVP first

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Kelly Pham

Should register marriage first or apply for LTVP first

Post by Kelly Pham » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 8:15 pm

Dear Everybody,

I have a question, my boyfriend is Singaporean and me (Vietnamese) We would like to register for marriage But we dont know should us apply for pre long term visit pass before register for marriage or after.

We are afraid if we register for marriage now it will be difficult for LTVP later If anyone has experience pls give us some advices

Thanks in advance and have a nice day everybody.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Should register marriage first or apply for LTVP first

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 8:43 pm

Let's get all the facts in order first. Are you resident here in Singapore? If so, what kind of residency are you holding? EP, S Pass, Work Permit, Student Visa? Or are you still in VN and here on a SVP? Once we know that bit of info we can better address the problem and hopefully give you a reasonable solution.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Kelly Pham

Post by Kelly Pham » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 8:50 pm

Thanks for replying
i am currently in Vietnam and sometimes i come to Sg with tourist visa.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 8:54 pm

Have you ever worked in Singapore in the past? If so, what kind of work pass were you on?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Kelly Pham

Post by Kelly Pham » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 8:57 pm

i havent ever worked in Sg

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 9:14 pm

It would be a good idea then, to do the Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment:

https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=541

The reason for this is because a lot of Vietnamese as well as other women in the region have been known to marry local men, drain their CPF, Bank Accounts and obtain PR and then leave them. The government, trying to play nanny and protect their male citizens from themselves, have almost routinely rejected local brides applications for LTVPs if they are from certain Asian Countries (of which VN is one) because in the past a fairly large number of women from those countries have abused local men financially and emotionally. Therefore it's hard to get an LTVP after marriage so the best thing is to apply BEFORE you get married. That way, if rejected, then if the two of you want to still marry, the Singaporean spouse will need to decide if he is willing to immigrate to your country. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

At least do the Assessment. Only then will you know where you two stand in Singapore.

Good Luck to you both.

Kelly Pham

Post by Kelly Pham » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 9:22 pm

As some information we read before
They told may be we apply for ROM first then few years later apply for LTVP
it may can get LTVP easier

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 9:58 pm

Wouldn't it be useful to know whether you can obtain a LTVP just after marriage? There's no fee for a Pre-Marriage LTVP Assessment.

Vickyng

Post by Vickyng » Sat, 04 Jun 2016 7:11 pm

Kelly Pham wrote:Dear Everybody,

I have a question, my boyfriend is Singaporean and me (Vietnamese) We would like to register for marriage But we dont know should us apply for pre long term visit pass before register for marriage or after.

We are afraid if we register for marriage now it will be difficult for LTVP later If anyone has experience pls give us some advices

Thanks in advance and have a nice day everybody.
Hi, sis. Can you give me your contact so we can share about the information.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Should register marriage first or apply for LTVP first

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 04 Jun 2016 10:30 pm

Vickyng wrote: Hi, sis. Can you give me your contact so we can share about the information.

???? Image

Vickyng

Post by Vickyng » Sat, 04 Jun 2016 11:37 pm

Hi everyone, let me tell you all about my case
-2013 i went to Singapore as training pass 3months.But I had cheated by Vietnam agent ( fake my documents ). After that i had a lawyer then i got a fine at course then went back Vietnam in 2014. Before i went back, ICA asked me whenever i want to go Singapore i need to apply.
-10/2015 i applied my student pass but Ica rejected 1week later. ( I applied at Kaplan. They helped me to submit my document to Ica). After that my boyfriend ( Singaporean) asked his MP for helping and 1month later, ICA allow me to go Singapore as visitor only, never talk about my student pass.
03/2016 me and my boyfriend went to ICA and we asked my school submit for my student pass again then rejected 1week later.
05/2016 me and my boyfriend submit for pre-marriage assessment then i got a rejected email today. Its too bad for me.
Are there have any advise for me ? What should i do continue? Appeal or ask his MP to help again or wait for another time? Thanks for your guy helping.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Sun, 05 Jun 2016 8:48 am

Your original fake papers are obviously the problem and that may prevent you from ever getting anything other than a SVP. In fact I'm surprised you even get that. Based on experiences in this forum, MPs seem to have little or no influence.

I reckon you need forget about studying in Sg, go somewhere else, build a career and then maybe one day Sg might see you in a different light.

Vickyng

Post by Vickyng » Sun, 05 Jun 2016 1:29 pm

bgd wrote:Your original fake papers are obviously the problem and that may prevent you from ever getting anything other than a SVP. In fact I'm surprised you even get that. Based on experiences in this forum, MPs seem to have little or no influence.

I reckon you need forget about studying in Sg, go somewhere else, build a career and then maybe one day Sg might see you in a different light.
Thanks for your advise. As you said, i may forget about student pass but how about marry with my boyfriend? Pre-marriage rejected. May i go to register directly?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 05 Jun 2016 1:50 pm

You can still get married to each other in any country where you can legally get married. Singapore's government can't stop that and doesn't try. However, Singapore's government has informed you that you'll have to find another country that'll take you both in if you want to live together in the same household.

Vickyng

Post by Vickyng » Sun, 05 Jun 2016 2:15 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:You can still get married to each other in any country where you can legally get married. Singapore's government can't stop that and doesn't try. However, Singapore's government has informed you that you'll have to find another country that'll take you both in if you want to live together in the same household.
Actually, me and my boyfriend want to get marry in his country Singapore. And he wanted we stay together as soon as possible. So we can marry in Singapore ? But pre-marriage had been rejected and Now we want to register in Rom directly, isst fine?