Singapore Expats

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Average salaries in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 6:19 pm

garry2361323 wrote:I have 9+ years of experience in Oracle CRM (IT) and have been offered 7800 SGD per month. I am relocating with my wife. The salary is sufficient to survive in Singapore and have some saving at the end ?
that number is very much above my current pay grade, but for 9+ years, I was thinking you should be 12k +

And that's affirmed by the few placement guys I know.

And to answer your question, yes, you can make do, but if a child comes along, you won't have much left (unless you are from Sub Con and know how to live on a shoe string..)

garry2361323

Post by garry2361323 » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 8:23 pm

Thank you ecureilx for the reply,

Initially when I got the offer, I accepted it after doing bit google about salary range and asking few of my known working in Singapore.

Now, as days are passing I am getting this feeling that the figure offered to me is not that good. Issue is that in the offer letter they have a clause which says " If you don't join the company on the said date, you have to pay 1 month of your offered salary and the expenditures occurred for your visa, interview etc etc" which in my case may go upto 8000-9000 SGD

Can I deny their offer now without getting into legal issues ? or I am bound to pay them if i don't join ?

I have given them signed copy of the offer as my acceptance.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 8:26 pm

garry2361323 wrote:Thank you ecureilx for the reply,

Initially when I got the offer, I accepted it after doing bit google about salary range and asking few of my known working in Singapore.

Now, as days are passing I am getting this feeling that the figure offered to me is not that good. Issue is that in the offer letter they have a clause which says " If you don't join the company on the said date, you have to pay 1 month of your offered salary and the expenditures occurred for your visa, interview etc etc" which in my case may go upto 8000-9000 SGD

Can I deny their offer now without getting into legal issues ? or I am bound to pay them if i don't join ?

I have given them signed copy of the offer as my acceptance.
No comments, maybe somebody more wiser than me can reply !

As you said - you did ask your friends, so possibly that the rate for your nationality ;) Where do you hail from, btw ?

garry2361323

Post by garry2361323 » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 8:41 pm

Aha nationality wise rates ! :P I am not sure about that, btw I am from India. I have asked about the salary range from many and getting mixed response, so I am totally confused whether to put this salary in "good" or "bad" category.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 9:01 pm

The company may not get the EP for you... 9+ years of experience should pay more in a specialty fields like Oracle. And unless you have already signed a contract agreeing to it, I would not pay anyone any money if I don't take the job.

garry2361323

Post by garry2361323 » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 9:16 pm

Thank you String Eagle for your reply,

You mean to say that If I haven't joined the company I am not legally bound to pay them any money as fine. But I have sent them signed copy of offer agreeing on the terms and conditions mentioned in it, will that make my case worse ?

I am not sure how employment rights and policies in Singapore work. Right now I am in India and serving notice period in my current company.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 9:19 pm

garry2361323 wrote:Aha nationality wise rates ! :P I am not sure about that, btw I am from India. I have asked about the salary range from many and getting mixed response, so I am totally confused whether to put this salary in "good" or "bad" category.
It's not a bad salary, but you could have asked and obtained more. It's not a good pay, never a great pay, it's a "OK" pay.

Most consultants work on client budgets, so if you had pushed, you may have been dropped ;) Or not.

Life is like that.

See Strong Eagle's thoughts too.

garry2361323

Post by garry2361323 » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 9:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:Most consultants work on client budgets, so if you had pushed, you may have been dropped ;) Or not.
Yes that was my thought while accepting the offer, you are correct I may pushed them for couple of bucks more.

My current salary in India doesn't match the Singapore offer in terms of cost of living.

maths_supporter

Re: salary

Post by maths_supporter » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 8:14 pm

Jeffery Duncan wrote:Is 5100 dollars Sing a good monthly salary for a manufactureing manager job? Keep in mind I have 2 school age kids. Any advice is appriciated.

It actually depends on your lifestyle. If both of your kids are going to International School, then my take is that you would be hard to feed the family. Just my opinion.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 8:32 pm

maths_supporter wrote:
Jeffery Duncan wrote:Is 5100 dollars Sing a good monthly salary for a manufactureing manager job? Keep in mind I have 2 school age kids. Any advice is appriciated.

It actually depends on your lifestyle. If both of your kids are going to International School, then my take is that you would be hard to feed the family. Just my opinion.
I am very sure Jeffery Duncan will be deeply touched receiving your advice for his 11 years old question.

runfasterrun

Post by runfasterrun » Wed, 21 Dec 2016 3:00 pm

here's the latest report for 2017 salary

http://www.nextsingapo.com/archives/11058

(more for IT industry)

duluoz1

Post by duluoz1 » Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:35 am

x9200 wrote: I am very sure Jeffery Duncan will be deeply touched receiving your advice for his 11 years old question.
Poor Jeffery has been waiting 11 years to know whether to move to Singapore or not. The waiting is finally over for him.

andyboi001

Post by andyboi001 » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:25 am

Let's say a local gets $5k as a base, that would translate to $5,850 (after 17% contribution from the employer). If a EP holder is offered the exact same role, would the base be revised to $5,850 to account for the lack of CPF?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:45 am

Not necessarily. In most cases, no. Depends on what you are able to negotiate, nothing more, nothing less. However, some employers will tell you, if you subsequently apply for PR, that your salary will be adjusted downwards as the company will incur more costs for you (employers' CPF) if you become a PR which only benefits you, not the company.

So, if PR is ultimately on your horizon, then I'd try to negotiate for the additional to cover that which you 'might' lose if you apply for, and somehow manager to get, PR.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SnowyFlameZ

Post by SnowyFlameZ » Sun, 02 Apr 2017 1:02 am

Here is one website that the local graduates use to get an idea on graduate pay.

http://freshbread.me

It is informative as it gives idea on the pay scale in Singapore given that graduates get that much. It may be also also for your kids if they are of that age. It is crowdsourced, so it may be a bit inaccurate. But it definitely gave me a good idea of the range and helped my son a lot in picking a firm when we moved over from Toronto.