Singapore Expats

Open a bank account without proof of residence

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
aki01

Re: Open a bank account without proof of residence

Post by aki01 » Tue, 31 May 2016 9:13 am

I ran into several issues when I first came over. I ended up opening an account with ANZ as they were the only bank I talked to that would open an account using my office address and the IPA letter. (DBS insisted on only allowing me to open an account if i had my physical EP). You can just use ANZ to have an initial account, then switch once you get settled.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Open a bank account without proof of residence

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 31 May 2016 10:22 pm

aki01 wrote:I ran into several issues when I first came over. I ended up opening an account with ANZ as they were the only bank I talked to that would open an account using my office address and the IPA letter. (DBS insisted on only allowing me to open an account if i had my physical EP). You can just use ANZ to have an initial account, then switch once you get settled.
I never had such problem with DBS or POSB or OCBC, and as I did mention (maybe I did) I had new arrivals opening accounts with amounts below the minimum required sum.

As for DBS, I suspect you went to those Corporate branches, who's staff, instead of saying they have no clue, will send you out with some excuse. If I was there, I would have asked while I have an IPA, if you want me to wait for the card per-se, which will take a couple of weeks, then where will I get my employer to bank in my relocation allowance ? Well, I did that once in the DBS corporate branch in Tampines, and still the message didn't compute.

Just took the guy over to the POSB across the road at Bus terminal, all was fine. Account opened with 500 $ I think.