Singapore Expats

Vacation rentals on Craigslist

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Vacation rentals on Craigslist

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 25 May 2016 3:54 am

Captjohn wrote:Nah, of course I haven't sent any money. I just sent 4 different ones a message that I was flying into SG tomorrow morning at 0630 and that my accomodations had just been cancelled. I needed to rent something first thing in the morning because I have a business meeting in the afternoon.

Since your place is "available now", I would like to rent it for 3 weeks starting tomorrow. What price can you make me for 3 weeks? I will pay cash. What time can you meet me tomorrow morning for viewing?

Haha let's see what replies they come up with.
Are you looking at the flats in Berlin or Barcelona? :cool:

Search By

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 5:46 pm

@Eagle. Hehehe! The London one is out in suburbia, 'East End' fringes of London bordering on Essex. The Singapore one doesn't even seem to suggest what district it is in, just 'Singapore'. [For the US equiv. imagine the very fringes of NJ commuter-belt for NYC, where there's a blend of retirees staying put and youngsters starting out and enduring the unenviable commute into town].

There is nothing obvious that stands out in the picture. No brand names, no script. Wall to wall carpeting in the lounge is one give away. The view out the window in pic1 suggests there is a suburban type house opposite. You get some solid clues from which photos they exclude in the '''SG''' listing, external views etc.

'Valet Parking' :) I've don't think I've ever encountered valet parking in the UK in my life. Maybe it exists in an *ultra-posh* block or two in Knightsbridge, no idea.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Captjohn

Post by Captjohn » Wed, 25 May 2016 7:24 pm

I got a reply from KMS Management that they were unable to collect payment on site. Everything must go through the head office in KL. Surprise suprise. These guys have a lot of these listings. Advertised at $90 for example and knock it down to $50 no problem.

There are a few others which appear to be genuine. Some are for sharing of a flat. However probably not worth the hassle. I found a decent one on AirBnB and will probably go with that.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 May 2016 7:42 pm

JR8 wrote:'Valet Parking' :) I've don't think I've ever encountered valet parking in the UK in my life. Maybe it exists in an *ultra-posh* block or two in Knightsbridge, no idea.
Some of them had garages- now, wait, garage in Singapore for visiting tourists who most likely fly in ? Sounds about correct.

Anyway, OP has selected from AirBnB, seems my initial suggestion was about right.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 7:45 pm

Hmmm, that's interesting. So how does the likes of KMS Management propose you get access to the property; who give you the keys and collects them when you leave?
Also when we rented the AirBnB place in Budapest last year we were met at the unit. Given the keys, given a 'check-in pack', with useful info re: the flat, outline local info, contact numbers in case of emergency etc, and run through how the appliances worked etc. Same person returned when we left to collect keys and give the place a quick once-over.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 May 2016 8:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:'Valet Parking' :) I've don't think I've ever encountered valet parking in the UK in my life. Maybe it exists in an *ultra-posh* block or two in Knightsbridge, no idea.
Some of them had garages- now, wait, garage in Singapore for visiting tourists who most likely fly in ? Sounds about correct.

Anyway, OP has selected from AirBnB, seems my initial suggestion was about right.
Hoist by your own petard, methinks. Most who fly in, if like me, tend to rent a car at the airport so a garage would be desirable, don't you think? Especially with parking charges being what they are.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 May 2016 8:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hoist by your own petard, methinks. Most who fly in, if like me, tend to rent a car at the airport so a garage would be desirable, don't you think? Especially with parking charges being what they are.
I need to go out and smell the air more :D

Correct me if I am wrong, I haven't heard much about many tourists renting cars in Singapore, and I can't say the same about other destinations !

Even those who enquired about renting cars and after reading about the public transport, decided to give a miss to self-drive.

Of course, those who havent' been to Singapore would definitely fall for the free garage scam, part of the whole scam !

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 May 2016 9:14 pm

I wonder how Hertz, Avis and Budget survive then. Surely they don't survive off the plebes here do you think?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 9:35 pm

Come to think of it... are these ads from the real CL site, or is the site a spoof of CL?

[I've never even looked at CL before, so no idea what the real-deal looks like]

Captjohn

Post by Captjohn » Wed, 25 May 2016 9:55 pm

ecureilx wrote:Anyway, OP has selected from AirBnB, seems my initial suggestion was about right.
Haha do you think I just learned about AirBnB here? That's the reason for having a forum, do discuss such things. I'm sure there are still great deals to be had on CL, not all 700 listings are scams.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 May 2016 10:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wonder how Hertz, Avis and Budget survive then. Surely they don't survive off the plebes here do you think?
Yeah, I didn't think of them :( :( My bad ... I am gonna look for a shovel now :p :-k
JR8 wrote:Come to think of it... are these ads from the real CL site, or is the site a spoof of CL?

[I've never even looked at CL before, so no idea what the real-deal looks like]
Almost 90% of more of ads in CL are scam, including those offering jobs, services and what nots. And the apartment rentals.

Seems the advertisers are doing ok because of the victims who keep falling for it :p Somebody has got the maths right there.

of course, CL doesn't go about vetting the ads, and only when somebody reports the ad, they remove it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 10:12 pm

On the London site, things don't look right either... example:
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/vac/5563331122.html

'GBP60 / 2br - Glamorous Apartment In West London! (Ifield Rd, Kensington)
The apartment is a bright 40sqm, completely refurbished accommodation that is fully furnished to welcome up to 8 guests, making it the perfect choice for a holiday with family or a group of friends. '

The building clearly in view through the window in pic2 is 'The Gherkin' building in the City *6 miles away* lol!
The pictured unit appears materially more than 430ft (430 = a typical studio-flat perhaps a roughly 20*20' studio + a small bathroom, no separate kitchen never mind a 'dine-in kitchen'). The windows appear hotel-style, i.e. ALu framed and only partially openable. It's fitted out like a Serviced Apartment too.
The price is suspiciously cheap, considering short-lets (3-6 months) cost about double what a 12-24 month TA would cost. Holiday lets with even higher turn over of tenants, hassle, wear+tear, voids, etc etc would need to be priced even higher.

ps. noted Ecu, thanks, haven't used it before and obviously will avoid it like the plague in future.
pps @ Ecu - MrsJR8 just got home and I asked her Q. 'Is Craig's known for being dodgy? I thought it was considered reputable?' A. [grave voice] 'Oh no it's renowned for being dodgy!'
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 25 May 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 10:34 pm

Captjohn wrote: Haha do you think I just learned about AirBnB here? That's the reason for having a forum, do discuss such things. I'm sure there are still great deals to be had on CL, not all 700 listings are scams.
'Chill mahn' ;)
Ah, so you've set yourself up for a challenge now. Can you find an ad for say a legit unit in SG, for say a 7-day stay. Where you pay the owner or his agent when you collect the keys? Where you know the location and preferably name of the building, and it all checks out?

Captjohn

Post by Captjohn » Thu, 26 May 2016 12:33 am

Yeah maybe they are all bullshit, IDK. Actually my time will divided into two, I need to go to Phillippines for 4-5 days. I'll reserve the BnB for the first 10 days, but during that time will see if I can get something lined up for the other 10 days in August.

Then again I may not have the patience to wade through the bullshit. I'll report back with what I find, just for fun :)