Singapore Expats

IT or accounting? Which is easier to break into?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
jomjom

IT or accounting? Which is easier to break into?

Post by jomjom » Sun, 17 Jan 2016 9:21 pm

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me which industry is easier for a foreigner to break into in Singapore? IT or accounting? I've noticed lots of IT professionals moving to Singapore- not so many accountants.

Thank you!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: IT or accounting? Which is easier to break into?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 17 Jan 2016 9:34 pm

both markets are saturated, Singapore is not an IT hub, though there are several IT companies here. if you want IT look at India or USA or some other developed IT markets.
As for finance i have no idea as it is not my field and there are more and more layoffs in the financial sector almost every other month. so i would say none of these sectors are doing well in Singapore ATM.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: IT or accounting? Which is easier to break into?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 17 Jan 2016 10:56 pm

jomjom wrote:Hi all,

Could anyone tell me which industry is easier for a foreigner to break into in Singapore? IT or accounting? I've noticed lots of IT professionals moving to Singapore- not so many accountants.

Thank you!
90+ % of SMEs here want a Chinese speaking Chinese accountant.

Where did you say you are from ? :)

In any case, unless you are a chameleon, how would you show past experience in your chosen field? Experience that's becoming more and more important for passes.

PS for IT, the likes of SAP with domain knowledge is always in high demand.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 17 Jan 2016 11:18 pm

jomjom wrote:Hi all,
Thank you!
I don't think value could be gained unless more is known about your background. Are you considering which career field to aim for, and are already qualified for both fields? :???:

And when you say 'accounting', is that statutory/'legal' accounting (example: filing annual accounts and regulatory returns with the government), or management/product accounting, i.e. non-statutory reports, sometimes produced daily, for internal use by management in running the business?

There's a big difference between legal and management accounting, and to qualify in either field is a totally separate course of study (full course, 3 years). For example, 'ACCA' is legal accounting, 'CIMA' is management accounting.

But not knowing whether you're 16 or 60... :-)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

premscma1

Post by premscma1 » Sun, 22 May 2016 8:27 pm

Dear Sir,

I am a CIMA qualified Management Accountant from India looking for job in Singapore.

pl guide me to get a job

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 23 May 2016 1:37 am

premscma1 wrote:Dear Sir,

I am a CIMA qualified Management Accountant from India looking for job in Singapore.

pl guide me to get a job
Find companies with job openings. Send in a cover letter and resume. Do well in the job interview.

vjtvjt

Post by vjtvjt » Mon, 23 May 2016 1:48 am

Based on my observations in my company, I see that all of our accountants are Singaporeans. There's only one foreigner (a Filipino) who is working as a tax accountant, which my colleagues have explained as a not-so-common type of accountant here in SG. Also, I observed that it is also a "trend" on locals as they tend to get banking and finance type of programs on college, which make them land this type of job. So in accountancy job role, good luck, competition would be really tough as there are Singaporeans who are qualified to do that job.

For IT though, while not so many Singaporeans in that field, competition is tough too because of the foreigners who are already in the job. If you are a foreigner and you don't have experience, then your chances of landing a job are very slim. Both are good career prospectives, it's just that the market is so tough these days and these job roles are were people tend to hold on to their jobs now.

vjtvjt

Post by vjtvjt » Mon, 23 May 2016 1:49 am

Based on my observations in my company, I see that all of our accountants are Singaporeans. There's only one foreigner (a Filipino) who is working as a tax accountant, which my colleagues have explained as a not-so-common type of accountant here in SG. Also, I observed that it is also a "trend" on locals as they tend to get banking and finance type of programs on college, which make them land this type of job. So in accountancy job role, good luck, competition would be really tough as there are Singaporeans who are qualified to do that job.

For IT though, while not so many Singaporeans in that field, competition is tough too because of the foreigners who are already in the job. If you are a foreigner and you don't have experience, then your chances of landing a job are very slim. Both are good career prospectives, it's just that the market is so tough these days and these job roles are were people tend to hold on to their jobs now.