Singapore Expats

T-plates for Singaporean drivers in Malatisa? NZ did it!

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

T-plates for Singaporean drivers in Malatisa? NZ did it!

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 May 2016 9:12 pm

NZ is considering T-plates and a test for tourists landing and driving. They've had some nasty accidents involving Singapore and others (Aussies too). I think it's a great idea for Malaysia to force Sinkies to carry a T plate!

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-tra ... 3861a50019
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle

Re: T-plates for Singaporean drivers in Malatisa? NZ did it!

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 16 May 2016 10:33 pm

Kind of amazing when you consider they all drive on the same side of the road. When I was in NZ, the guy at the car rental company said, "Well, you're an American but at least you've been driving on the correct side of the road for years in Singapore. Americans have a lot of wrecks here."

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 17 May 2016 11:57 am

And what difference will it make? Different plates won't stop someone driving like a muppet. And it's still Kiwis who cause most of the accidents.

I guess if you're a local thug wanting to rob a tourist it will make them easier to identify.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 17 May 2016 12:01 pm

bgd wrote:And what difference will it make? Different plates won't stop someone driving like a muppet. And it's still Kiwis who cause most of the accidents.

I guess if you're a local thug wanting to rob a tourist it will make them easier to identify.
Indeed. I doubt it will happen.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 May 2016 12:22 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Kind of amazing when you consider they all drive on the same side of the road. When I was in NZ, the guy at the car rental company said, "Well, you're an American but at least you've been driving on the correct side of the road for years in Singapore. Americans have a lot of wrecks here."
This was the worst part:
But in fairness to tourist drivers, New Zealand’s road rules have been known for being a bit tricky.
Until recently, the country had a “ridiculous” road rule that constantly tripped up tourists on New Zealand roads — as well as New Zealand drivers in other countries.
Under the rule, which was only observed in New Zealand, drivers turning left had to give way to oncoming vehicles turning right into the same road.
The obscure rule was at least partially blamed for more than 2000 crashes, including about one or two fatalities, in New Zealand every year, Stuff.co.nz reported.
The New Zealand government reversed the rule by giving left-turners right of way in 2012.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 17 May 2016 1:34 pm

That left hand rule was actually quite sensible, allowed traffic to flow better. But once tourism took off, being out of step with the rest of the world wasn't so sensible.

The current rules are pretty much in line internationally now. The main issues just seem to be bad driving or not adjusting to local driving conditions. And of course drivers not being used to driving on the left.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 17 May 2016 2:59 pm

bgd wrote:That left hand rule was actually quite sensible, allowed traffic to flow better. But once tourism took off, being out of step with the rest of the world wasn't so sensible.

The current rules are pretty much in line internationally now. The main issues just seem to be bad driving or not adjusting to local driving conditions. And of course drivers not being used to driving on the left.
The Singapore driving test should include braking for Kangaroos and driving with the left hand wheels in gravel and the right hand ones on the bitumen. Those two skills (or lack of) probably kill half a dozen sinkies in Australia every year.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 19 May 2016 1:35 pm

if all tourists just drove in a "laid back," on-vacation-like manner, this stupid T sign idea would not come up in the first place.

i suspect most tourists are just impatient to get from one point to another. speed, i suspect, contributes to the severity of accidents there.

having lived there for a number of years, i dare say the majority of the locals drive within limits and do so very patiently.

FWIW, insurance is not mandatory on the roads... whether this has anything to do with them being more careful drivers i cannot be sure. i know i did so for that reason in my last 2 year when i had no insurance on my car/motorcycles.

eagle: thanks for the article. i had no idea "give way to right" rule has been scrapped!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam