Singapore Expats

Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
angel0205

Re: Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Post by angel0205 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:55 pm

After getting citizenship, all property and car in overseas must be disposed?

Sent from my Panasonic P51 using Tapatalk

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:57 pm

DONT THINK SO

angel0205

Post by angel0205 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 1:01 pm

need to transfer to new IC? or transfer to family?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 3:03 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. Citizens of Singapore can and often do own property outside Singapore. Are you perhaps thinking of HDB's limits on private property ownership?

angel0205

Post by angel0205 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 4:04 pm

I owned property in Malaysia. Do I need to sale the property and car before renunciation of Malaysia citizenship?

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Post by dynoto » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 8:33 pm

angel0205 wrote:I owned property in Malaysia. Do I need to sale the property and car before renunciation of Malaysia citizenship?

IIRC it applies when you bought a HDB house, not when getting a citizenship.

angel0205

Post by angel0205 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 9:10 pm

dynoto, thanks for your reply. Sorry, what is IIRC? You mean do nothing unless I plan to buy hdb?

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 9:12 pm

I have not heard of anyone who has had success after they appealed. However i know of cases where reapplication due to change in circumstances, have been successful. And in the past 1 year or so, rejection rates have been high among my expat friends (from Non-Asian countries). Those who got it, all got it via the first attempt. The rest are still trying. Good luck

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 7:48 am

One question I have always had is whether ICA take into account the time spent here under EP and not just as PR, assuming it was an uninterrupted transition from EP to PR. For example, if one had lived here for 10 years under EP but just 2 as a PR, would the ICA think "oooh this person's been here for 12 years contributing to society"

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 9:39 am

But they hasn't been here for 12 years contributing to society, maybe two years, but even then doubtful. If they think that paying income taxes is contributing to society they are barking up the wrong tree. They are working for themselves, nothing more. The income tax is to cover your infrastructure cost. For the record, almost all transitions from EP to PR a uninterrupted, unless the PR came about as a result of the Family Ties scheme. If it was PTS almost assuredly it was uninterrupted. So no, put that out of your mind. Heck, because of the rampant abuse by a certain demographic trying to obtain PR here, ICA doesn't even look at Volunteering as a brownie point any more. In fact when they see it, they know why and normally once PR has been obtain then contributions to charity cease and it becomes contribution to self once again. ICA isn't stupid and woe to the person who thinks they are.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kellevine

Post by kellevine » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:40 am

Children below 21 will keep dual citizenship and must decide after that.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 1:33 pm

angel0205 wrote:dynoto, thanks for your reply. Sorry, what is IIRC? You mean do nothing unless I plan to buy hdb?

IIRC - If i Remember Correctly

Final answer, yes you must dispose your own property overseas if you wanna own HDB in Singapore

angel0205

Post by angel0205 » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks lynx

synkronize

Post by synkronize » Mon, 09 May 2016 2:57 pm

Hi, just to tap on the earlier discussion on disposal of overseas properties. Would this apply in the event I currently already own a HDB and I intend to apply for citizenship? I'm assuming it wouldn't since when i bought the HDB there was no rule then about us not being allowed to own overseas properties.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 09 May 2016 3:45 pm

synkronize wrote:Hi, just to tap on the earlier discussion on disposal of overseas properties. Would this apply in the event I currently already own a HDB and I intend to apply for citizenship? I'm assuming it wouldn't since when i bought the HDB there was no rule then about us not being allowed to own overseas properties.
When did you buy the HDB? Or rather when did you start having BOTH overseas properties and HDB at the same time?