Singapore Expats

Renting a condo unit whose building has termite infestation in some other floor.

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
kotorin

Renting a condo unit whose building has termite infestation in some other floor.

Post by kotorin » Tue, 03 May 2016 11:53 am

Hi fellow expats,

I'm considering renting a condo unit near Dakota MRT station. It's a very good location as there is direct bus with short travel period to both my and my wife's working locations. However there is one problem. We learned that one unit in that building is having termite infestation and that unit is on the 4th floor. The unit we are renting is on the 2nd floor. Any suggestions if we should still rent it? How good is Singapore's pest control? Is there any chance that the whole building might be infected?

Thank you!

Search By

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Renting a condo unit whose building has termite infestation in some other floor.

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 03 May 2016 2:21 pm

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Re: Renting a condo unit whose building has termite infestation in some other floor.

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 May 2016 5:05 pm

kotorin wrote:Hi fellow expats,

I'm considering renting a condo unit near Dakota MRT station. It's a very good location as there is direct bus with short travel period to both my and my wife's working locations. However there is one problem. We learned that one unit in that building is having termite infestation and that unit is on the 4th floor. The unit we are renting is on the 2nd floor. Any suggestions if we should still rent it? How good is Singapore's pest control? Is there any chance that the whole building might be infected?

Thank you!
I would think most of termite edible goods in this country are impregnated against the termites. We had termites once in our first condo and without any control/treatment the poor things only managed to eat (a bit only):
1) a tv set of the LL
2) a central speaker of my audio set
3) a salt dough sheep
To be completely frank, my wife did a lot of more damage to various furniture and appliance within the same period.

kotorin

Post by kotorin » Thu, 05 May 2016 12:28 pm

x9200 wrote:
kotorin wrote:Hi fellow expats,

Thank you!
I would think most of termite edible goods in this country are impregnated against the termites. We had termites once in our first condo and without any control/treatment the poor things only managed to eat (a bit only):
1) a tv set of the LL
2) a central speaker of my audio set
3) a salt dough sheep
To be completely frank, my wife did a lot of more damage to various furniture and appliance within the same period.
Thank you for your input on this.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 05 May 2016 1:06 pm

I don't know how much they travel. I had an infestation which seemed to be limited to my apartment. Took quite a while to get rid of them and they are quietly destructive. Fortunately it was mainly coving and wood paneling, landlord's problem.

aki01

Post by aki01 » Fri, 06 May 2016 10:20 am

I live on a ground floor unit and had termites last year in the guest bedroom. as a result the bedroom was uninhabitable for over 2 months until the pests were deceased :) So, it was very inconvenient as I had a room-mate who had to sleep on the sofa until we got the all clear. Termites themselves are harmless to humans. My advice - I wouldnt rent a condo if I knew there were termites above or around me. There's a loads of condo's to choose from. Why rent one where you know there could be a problem.

kotorin

Post by kotorin » Fri, 06 May 2016 10:25 am

Thanks you all for your comments. I've decided not to rent it and found another place nearby that has an even better condition.