Singapore Expats

LOC expiring during my maternity leaves

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
krt

LOC expiring during my maternity leaves

Post by krt » Thu, 05 May 2016 10:58 am

Hi,

My DP-LOC is expiring while I will be away on maternity leave outside of Singapore. I sill have 2 and a half month before expiration but I am leaving Singapore after 2 weeks and will be back only after 5 months.

Can I put an application to extend my DP now itself. And If I apply now, is there any chance that it will be approved before I leave.

What is it does not get approved before I leave.

What necessary actions I should take before leaving.

Experts please help.

Thanks in advance
KRT

x9200

Re: LOC expiring during my maternity leaves

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 May 2016 12:05 pm

You can not renew LoC by yourself. It has to be your employer.

LoC is needed for work only so it doesn't matter if you are in Singapore or somewhere else when it expires. DP is your basic pass that should be valid when you cross the border (to avoid some questions in case of any doubts).

krt

Post by krt » Thu, 05 May 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks x9200 for you response.
I am aware that LOC is applied/renewed by employer. I want to know whether I can apply for renewal for my DP now itself since it is still valid for 2 and half months. But I will be out of Singapore for next 5 months after 2 weeks.

what shall I do in this case.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 May 2016 12:23 pm

krt wrote:Thanks x9200 for you response.
I am aware that LOC is applied/renewed by employer. I want to know whether I can apply for renewal for my DP now itself since it is still valid for 2 and half months. But I will be out of Singapore for next 5 months after 2 weeks.

what shall I do in this case.
Your DP is entirely dependent upon the underlying EP for which it was issued. EP needs to be renewed, DP at same time.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 May 2016 12:43 pm

With DP you also can NOT do it by yourself, it has to be your husband's employer.

If the employer applies for the renewal on-line it should take (according to MOM) up to 7 days only if everything is ok. If it gets renewed only after you leave, your husband should receive some confirmation letter which I reckon should be more than enough to cross the border. Besides, if it gets renewed I would expect ICA should have it in their system linked to your FIN.