Singapore Expats

Deferment for spm / Gce o level studies

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Deferment for spm / Gce o level studies

Post by the lynx » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:37 am

Yeah you will have to try. This is the first we have a Singapore PR who lives and studies in Malaysia who gets caught up in this because of SPM age vs O-level age.

Side discussion for additional thought: If my assumptions below are true, what do you think your parents would feel right now, knowing that their strategy to avoid you from doing NS, a decision they made when you are young and incapable by...?:
1. Keeping your SG PR but keeping you in Malaysia
2. Keeping your sisters (SG PRs) in Singapore
3. Putting you through very inferior Malaysia education system, undermining your real potential in tertiary education, employment and immigration opportunities globally
4. While your sisters are in advantageous Singapore education system (not perfect but still better), giving them not only one-year headstart due to NS obligation on their male peers, but also an (probably) exponential opportunities compared to you specifically
5. Exposing you to a risk of burning bridges with Singapore for life (employment, education, family/friend interaction, even flight transit in Singapore) should you/your family choose to run away from NS and be listed as NS defaulter and put on immigration watch list. - honestly I think this part has very low risk because from your posting, you exhibited sincerity to obey the NS law despite of potential disruption to your current education level

I hope you're not taking these words wrongly. I am typing this with a hand over my heart (figuratively, I still need two hands to type) but I really feel a lot for poor children like you (and many others who sought help here), who are subjected to potentially permanent damage to their path in life because of their parents' poor thought and opportunistic intention. Even if this is true, I am sure your parents had parental loving intention for you when they decided to pull this stunt but if they really meant well for your future, they should have done their homework to avoid this problem in decades to come, or even better, to NEVER ever consider abetting you into skipping NS in the first thought.

danteXtribal

Post by danteXtribal » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:08 pm

the lynx wrote:Yeah you will have to try. This is the first we have a Singapore PR who lives and studies in Malaysia who gets caught up in this because of SPM age vs O-level age.

Side discussion for additional thought: If my assumptions below are true, what do you think your parents would feel right now, knowing that their strategy to avoid you from doing NS, a decision they made when you are young and incapable by...?:
1. Keeping your SG PR but keeping you in Malaysia
2. Keeping your sisters (SG PRs) in Singapore
3. Putting you through very inferior Malaysia education system, undermining your real potential in tertiary education, employment and immigration opportunities globally
4. While your sisters are in advantageous Singapore education system (not perfect but still better), giving them not only one-year headstart due to NS obligation on their male peers, but also an (probably) exponential opportunities compared to you specifically
5. Exposing you to a risk of burning bridges with Singapore for life (employment, education, family/friend interaction, even flight transit in Singapore) should you/your family choose to run away from NS and be listed as NS defaulter and put on immigration watch list. - honestly I think this part has very low risk because from your posting, you exhibited sincerity to obey the NS law despite of potential disruption to your current education level

I hope you're not taking these words wrongly. I am typing this with a hand over my heart (figuratively, I still need two hands to type) but I really feel a lot for poor children like you (and many others who sought help here), who are subjected to potentially permanent damage to their path in life because of their parents' poor thought and opportunistic intention. Even if this is true, I am sure your parents had parental loving intention for you when they decided to pull this stunt but if they really meant well for your future, they should have done their homework to avoid this problem in decades to come, or even better, to NEVER ever consider abetting you into skipping NS in the first thought.
Yeah, the problem existed because of spm age vs o level age which singaporean / PR residing there and studying there having no trouble at all for this.

1-4.Nope, my parent's strategy and intention was not to avoid me from doing my NS, my sister are educated in Malaysia and after SPM she get a very nice result thus continue her studies in poly then into university in Sg. She never encountered this obligation problems because girls dont have to NS mah.

4. No, she dont have one year headstart on other male peers because she went through SPM exam.

5.No, they doesnt want me to burn all bridges because they want the best for me. My elder brother went through this too but he choose to surrender his PR because this disrupted his studies and we simply dont have the financial means to establish a bond. I would say yes, because if all along i was in sg i wont have this kind of problem but i dont blame them because of limited financial means.

Now the thing is, i am 17 years 2month old by now, and the FRO has came, can i finish my studies and exam first at December this year and straightaway went into NS by next year January? because next year february only i would be officially 18 . i saw this yesterday

"All male Singaporeans and Permanent Residents will be enlisted for full-time National Service (NS) at the earliest opportunity upon turning 18. "

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 1:55 pm

danteXtribal wrote:Yeah, the problem existed because of spm age vs o level age which singaporean / PR residing there and studying there having no trouble at all for this.

1-4.Nope, my parent's strategy and intention was not to avoid me from doing my NS, my sister are educated in Malaysia and after SPM she get a very nice result thus continue her studies in poly then into university in Sg. She never encountered this obligation problems because girls dont have to NS mah.

4. No, she dont have one year headstart on other male peers because she went through SPM exam.

5.No, they doesnt want me to burn all bridges because they want the best for me. My elder brother went through this too but he choose to surrender his PR because this disrupted his studies and we simply dont have the financial means to establish a bond. I would say yes, because if all along i was in sg i wont have this kind of problem but i dont blame them because of limited financial means.

Now the thing is, i am 17 years 2month old by now, and the FRO has came, can i finish my studies and exam first at December this year and straightaway went into NS by next year January? because next year february only i would be officially 18 . i saw this yesterday

"All male Singaporeans and Permanent Residents will be enlisted for full-time National Service (NS) at the earliest opportunity upon turning 18. "
Ah great, thanks for proving more insight into your situation and clarifying my assumptions. Your situation now doesn't seem as bad as I initially feared, in fact better than many, many families we have seen here.

Regarding the exact procedures/timeline of enlistment, need the other posters to chime in, especially those who have personally walked through the path. If it works out great, you probably don't even need to initiate any enquiry after all.

danteXtribal

Post by danteXtribal » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 8:46 am

Reporting back for reference for future forumer info

Done my medical checkup and NS registration yesterday morning, saw alot of people there.
Anyway back to main topic, surprisingly the CMPB officer told me that as i am still in secondary school studies and under 18 with a support of verification letter from my school, the officer say no bond was needed, just need to check in at whichever SG checkpoint every 3 month, till i reach 18 years old. I was told the bond rules was loosen up because this rules definitely affected those who have limited financial means and who is study in foreign country for their high school studies and genuinely want to serve NS. By then if my result enable me to enroll in SG college or institution i can grant deferment like anyone else in SG completing my college studies only go for NS .

Finally now i can sleep soundly and no thinking of voiding my studies and exam :D :D
Also thanks to all the help and advice given here, that give me appropriate guidance on what to expect.