Singapore Expats

Maid with Herpes type 1

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
yippie123

Maid with Herpes type 1

Post by yippie123 » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:22 am

Hi all. I wonder if everyone here screened their maid with this virus? I am in the process of selecting one domestic helper, 3 out of 3 carries this Virus...

Any suggestion pls?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Maid with Herpes type 1

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:38 am

HSV-1 is thoroughly common in the human species. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control over half of American adults test seropositive for HSV-1 antibodies, meaning they've been exposed to that virus at some point in their lives. Chances are excellent you have, too.

If you're concerned about that then you might be looking for a maid for a very, very long time -- just about as long as you would be looking for a maid who hasn't had the common cold. When you might be concerned (slightly) is if your prospective maid has an unresolved HSV-1 infection, i.e. a cold sore. They I wouldn't recommend kissing your maid, but I wouldn't recommend that anyway. :)

I'd say this is the medical equivalent of a test result saying that your prospective maids tested positive for dihydrogen monoxide.

yippie123

Post by yippie123 » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:46 am

Thanks for your suggestion. The thing with some comments around the internet that they dont suggest a domestic helper who carries this virus, especially there is toddler in the family.

There is a thread in this forum also suggesting not to risk it. I wonder if everyone send their maid for the test? Or am i over-reacted to this ?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:25 pm

yippie123 wrote:The thing with some comments around the internet that they dont suggest a domestic helper who carries this virus, especially there is toddler in the family.
The HSV-1 test is a test for the presence of HSV-1 antibodies. A true positive test result means that the person has been exposed to HSV-1 at least once, in the past. He/she may have been symptomatic or asymptomatic at that time. HSV-1 often lies dormant for long periods of time.

As I mentioned, you might have some minor concerns if your maid is presently or becomes symptomatic, meaning has a cold sore. Then the virus can spread. HSV-1 infections spread from cold sores through sharing of utensils, towels, and food (for example, sharing cups) and kissing, as notable examples. Most of these things she shouldn't be doing anyway with or without a symptomatic infection. If she has a cold sore, or gets one, it's best if she avoids kissing anybody, including the toddler.

But humans get cold sores -- almost every human. And they're not really issues except for people with seriously impaired immune systems. That's not the vast majority of toddlers.

One "fun" exercise would be for the whole household (except maybe the toddler) to get the same HSV-1 test. Chances are excellent there's somebody else who already would test positive.