Singapore Expats

Should I report this?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Tinker

Should I report this?

Post by Tinker » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:24 pm

My neighbour, my back garden is next to her back patio, shouts and screams at her maids. She has had about nine different women and she treats them horribly. I have not seen her hit any of them but she screams in their face and is just a nasty, shouting woman.

I have shouted, from my window, to her to not talk to another person like that, she shouted back at me. I told her to treat her helper as a human being she swore at me in Chinese. A few weeks ago she was going at it again and screaming at her helper, I again told her to stop being nasty and talk to her maid properly. I have seen her throw things but not really at the maid.

She is now onto another maid and she was screaming at her tonight. I called out of my window to stop shouting, it is really loud, and she moved so I could not see her from my window. She is a horrible, nasty person and she treats maids terribly.

Should I report her to the MoM or the police? It is doing my head in hearing her treating others like this.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Should I report this?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:30 pm

Tinker wrote:My neighbour, my back garden is next to her back patio, shouts and screams at her maids. She has had about nine different women and she treats them horribly. I have not seen her hit any of them but she screams in their face and is just a nasty, shouting woman.

I have shouted, from my window, to her to not talk to another person like that, she shouted back at me. I told her to treat her helper as a human being she swore at me in Chinese. A few weeks ago she was going at it again and screaming at her helper, I again told her to stop being nasty and talk to her maid properly. I have seen her throw things but not really at the maid.

She is now onto another maid and she was screaming at her tonight. I called out of my window to stop shouting, it is really loud, and she moved so I could not see her from my window. She is a horrible, nasty person and she treats maids terribly.

Should I report her to the MoM or the police? It is doing my head in hearing her treating others like this.
Report to HOME, if the maid is affected they may do more than SPF or MOM.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Should I report this?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 14 Apr 2016 6:32 am

She needs to be taken out the back, knelt down and have a bullet put in the back of her head. Seriously I hate people like her.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 6:01 pm

I am aware of a helper whose employer is refusing to let her outside, has refused to provide her contractual rest day (s) and won't let her use a phone. I am not aware of any physical abuse. Back home I'm pretty sure this would fall under 'forcible confinement' which is a criminal offense, but not really well versed in how this is viewed in Singapore.

Is this something better reported to HOME? Or the police and MOM?

I did try the Phillipines embassy but they won't get involved unless they receive a complaint directly from the individial or her family.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Should I report this?

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 9:13 pm

brian_singapore wrote:
Is this something better reported to HOME? Or the police and MOM?

I did try the Phillipines embassy but they won't get involved unless they receive a complaint directly from the individial or her family.
Get get agency name and inform HOME. Home should educate the employer before doing the needful on behalf of the maid.

They will do something!!

MOM and / or cops may see her sent packing with no recourse.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 01 Dec 2016 12:50 pm

If a maid resigns from her employer and her work permit is cancelled, does she receive the same 30 day social pass afforded other pass holders?

If not, how long is she allowed to remain in Singapore and is she required to stay at the agency that brought her over until she leaves?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 01 Dec 2016 1:48 pm

brian_singapore wrote:If a maid resigns from her employer and her work permit is cancelled, does she receive the same 30 day social pass afforded other pass holders?

If not, how long is she allowed to remain in Singapore and is she required to stay at the agency that brought her over until she leaves?
Maids are governed by different rules.

They get a 7 day SVP.

By law, the employer has the right to repatriate her, and until she is repatriated, the Bond hangs over the employer's head. So they will insist on sending her back.

As for leaving in agency et al. take note, until she left, it's still the employer's responsibility regardless where she stays.

I can guess where this is heading to...

So what's the story here ?

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 01 Dec 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks.

I followed up with HOME on the above mentioned FDW but they weren't willing to get involved in any meaningful way and just asked me to pass their helpline to the FDW and have her call them. They didn't have an answer when I pointed out she wasn't allowed to use the phone.

We managed to get a number for her family in the Philippines and we contacted the FDW's aunt who has been talking with both the employer and the agency for the past week and a half. She has negotiated her resignation from the employer.

The Aunt is well educated, appears to be reasonably affluent by PH standards and works for an MNC in Manila. The employer has agreed to the FDW's resignation. The Aunt has asked me to pick the FDW from the agency once all of the release papers have been signed and matters settled and bring her to see someone at FAST. The Aunt doesn't know if the FDW wants to stay in SG and look for a new employer or return home. I haven't spoken with the FDW so I am not sure either. The Aunt will pay for a ticket for her niece to return home to the Philippines on Tuesday if that's what the niece wants. The employer and agency claim they are not required to buy her a ticket as she resigned without completing her 2 year contact. (I was always under the impression the employer was on the hook regardless).

I did speak to the agency directly earlier this week and the agency said the FDW would be returned by the employer today. They were a little less clear on whether they were able to let her leave the agency but did say she was 'free to go' once she had been returned.

I told her Aunt I was willing to take her to FAST if the agency was willing to let her leave with me and didn't require me to sign anything taking responsibility for her but I wasn't willing to get involved without the Agencies consent. I don't want to end up a bad situation with the Agency, MOM or the law.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 01 Dec 2016 10:56 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Thanks.

I followed up with HOME on the above mentioned FDW but they weren't willing to get involved in any meaningful way and just asked me to pass their helpline to the FDW and have her call them. They didn't have an answer when I pointed out she wasn't allowed to use the phone.

We managed to get a number for her family in the Philippines and we contacted the FDW's aunt who has been talking with both the employer and the agency for the past week and a half. She has negotiated her resignation from the employer.

The Aunt is well educated, appears to be reasonably affluent by PH standards and works for an MNC in Manila. The employer has agreed to the FDW's resignation. The Aunt has asked me to pick the FDW from the agency once all of the release papers have been signed and matters settled and bring her to see someone at FAST. The Aunt doesn't know if the FDW wants to stay in SG and look for a new employer or return home. I haven't spoken with the FDW so I am not sure either. The Aunt will pay for a ticket for her niece to return home to the Philippines on Tuesday if that's what the niece wants. The employer and agency claim they are not required to buy her a ticket as she resigned without completing her 2 year contact. (I was always under the impression the employer was on the hook regardless).

I did speak to the agency directly earlier this week and the agency said the FDW would be returned by the employer today. They were a little less clear on whether they were able to let her leave the agency but did say she was 'free to go' once she had been returned.

I told her Aunt I was willing to take her to FAST if the agency was willing to let her leave with me and didn't require me to sign anything taking responsibility for her but I wasn't willing to get involved without the Agencies consent. I don't want to end up a bad situation with the Agency, MOM or the law.
Too tired to process the info.

Let me reply tomorrow.

Did she register the contract with the embassy ?

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 02 Dec 2016 8:28 am

I don't know if the contract was registered, but I assume it was if its part of the usual process. (I don't remember doing this with my helper)

What's the impact of registering with the embassy?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Dec 2016 1:34 pm

brian_singapore wrote:I don't know if the contract was registered, but I assume it was if its part of the usual process. (I don't remember doing this with my helper)

What's the impact of registering with the embassy?
By registering with the Embassy, the POLO/POEA folks can get involved if there is any pay dispute etc. All Filipino FDWs are required to register with the Embassy (pay the fee ;) ) and failure to do so may see them being denied permission to depart Ph on their next flight out. (Yes, they take loss of earning of govt officials seriously .. )

In this case, since there is no dispute per se, I can see why HOME didn't want to get involved (if I understand correctly, the FDW doesn't want to work and wants to go home, right ?)

As for ticket, I haven't check with friends who are running agency, as, despite being told otherwise, bringing in a maid into Singapore, especially from Philippines, involves costs, like compulsory (though often meaningless) orientation, rudimentary training, costs which are not always passed to the employer (example, why will a English speaking employer pay for Mandarin training, as Mandarin training is compulsory for maids going to SG, per PH law .. ) ..

These are covered as loans.

That's a different subject anyway.

Back to the case here, if the maid hasn't completed her 2 year, and the contract is vague enough, the employer can refuse to pay the flight ticket, in which case, the agency has to enforce this, though this can turn into another dispute.

Unless there is any reason for her to stay, best is to send her to PH and get another employer.

Attempting to let her stay here can complicate things. And yes, a transfer maid finds jobs easier, but with complications, the agency can drag their feet, employer can refuse the transfer agreement.

So back to the question: If somebody is willing to foot the bill, earliest flight home is best.

Does that answer your question ?

PS, leaving in the agency's care is a double edged sword. There are a lot of good agencies, but a few agencies park the maids in ad-hoc maid hostels. Not conducive, if you ask me.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 02 Dec 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks Ecruelix. I had lunch with the FDW today and her family have booked a flight home for her tonight. I confirmed with the Agency that everything is in order and she will be sent to the Airport this afternoon.

I suspect the agency is on 'best behavior' after realizing her extended family aren't a bunch of farmers from the province. They are also being vey careful and had her retroactively sign a lot of forms. (Before I showed up).

They let me take her out to lunch. She clearly just wants to go home amd never work in SG as a maid again. After her first unmonitored conversation with her family, they collectively decided that was best.

Her employer dehumanized her (her salary was withheld to pay for placement fees) and forced her to work 5am to 9pm, 7 days a week. They were verbally abusive but fortunately not physically abusive. They completely cut her off from the outside world and she hasn't been able to speak with her 4 year old daughter in 3 months.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 02 Dec 2016 2:15 pm

Oh, on the contract registration question, I asked her but she had no idea. But given she came straight over from PH, I would assume it was as from your explanation it sounds like she would not have been allowed to leave the country otherwise.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Dec 2016 9:56 pm

brian_singapore wrote:
Her employer dehumanized her (her salary was withheld to pay for placement fees) and forced her to work 5am to 9pm, 7 days a week. They were verbally abusive but fortunately not physically abusive. They completely cut her off from the outside world and she hasn't been able to speak with her 4 year old daughter in 3 months.
probably notifying MOM is best, with details.

After her departure is still possible, as, if you talk to my agency friends, they will clearly refuse to place a FDW if the employer doesn't 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep and total 10 hours of rest at night including the 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

And strongly discourage new maids from agreeing to work 7 days a week.

And employers refusing phones are strictly no-no. Yes, there are honest agents around.

I still suggest notifying MOM so MOM monitors the future FDWs of the employer.
Last edited by ecureilx on Fri, 02 Dec 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Should I report this?

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Dec 2016 9:58 pm

MOM enforcement team do interview FDWs based on tips.