Singapore Expats

Random thoughts thread

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Random thoughts thread

Post by maneo » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:25 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Found Erdinger dunkel dark wheat beer at a food court nr my house. Tastes nice. 500ml bottle costs $7.
V strange you found it in a food-court, dunkel wheat beer, plus quite cheap for that quality of brewer in SG. V good deal at that px, and quite obscure type of beer.... why do you think they stocked it?
you also get Paulaner, some fairprices esp one in Bukit timah also sell a large diverse bunch of beers.
What about the Cold Storage at Guthrie House on the corner with 6th Avenue?
It seems to have a bit of variety.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:39 am

My personal take is, whatever you like and doesn't ruin your health any more than the more expensive brands/years, it is fine. I developed some more sophisticated taste for some kinds, especially for Champagne and I can tell the difference and whether is spoilt or not, but most of the time, any cheap Merlot or even universally despised Carlo Rossi California Red is not a bad companion.

BTW, as you are where you are, still a bit far away, but much closer than most of us, go for a few days tour to Yarra Valley. I can not recommend any specific regular wine winery, but if you want to try some reasonably price but really good sparkling wine, visit the winery of Domaine Chandon. This is the same house as MC and Dom Pérignon for much lower price and only slightly worse taste.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:46 am

maneo wrote:
JR8 wrote:
V strange you found it in a food-court, dunkel wheat beer, plus quite cheap for that quality of brewer in SG. V good deal at that px, and quite obscure type of beer.... why do you think they stocked it?
you also get Paulaner, some fairprices esp one in Bukit timah also sell a large diverse bunch of beers.
Yes, they have, but it is pretty close to the CS average.
For the mentioned Paulaner, I strongly recommend to go for the Sunday brunch at Paulaner Brauhaus. Really good beer with Western, German style food. Ca $60+ per person with free flow of all the beers.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:06 pm

x9200 wrote: BTW, as you are where you are, still a bit far away, but much closer than most of us, go for a few days tour to Yarra Valley. I can not recommend any specific regular wine winery, but if you want to try some reasonably price but really good sparkling wine, visit the winery of Domaine Chandon. This is the same house as MC and Dom Pérignon for much lower price and only slightly worse taste.
I'll keep that in mind though I don't have out of state trips planned at the moment (pinot noir is appealing right now though). I mostly do day trips for now, only because I'm too lazy to arrange stuff that can't be done in a day.

It's kinda refreshing that I can travel 300 km--or even just 100 km--and not have to bring my passport.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:41 pm

It works better on a planned trip. We hired a car from the Melbourn airport, went to a small town/village in YV, the name I don't recall at the moment, and there were many day tours by minivans organized so you could visit a number of wineries. I reckon it's a popular attraction. I remember probably 10 girls doing something that looked like an extension of a hen party, pretty much all wasted already in the middle of the day and being driven around in a big white limo.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 2:45 pm

maneo wrote:
JR8 wrote:
next to the fairprice finest in bukit timah shopping center there's also a small little store selling some craft beers
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 2:48 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
The one in Bkt Timach Shopping Center, the Fairprice Finest is pretty poor in terms of beer choices but pretty good in general (very close to CS). It regularilly has wine deals, especially if you are looking for cheap, drinkable kinds but you don't need to prove to the world you are a sommelier.
are you suggesting i am a sommelier? cause i don't drink that much at all.. :-"

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 3:26 pm

No, not really. I am actually suggesting I am not, and what makes it worse, I don't feel embarrassed saying I like to drink cheap as long as I like what I drink.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 3:45 pm

x9200 wrote:No, not really. I am actually suggesting I am not, and what makes it worse, I don't feel embarrassed saying I like to drink cheap as long as I like what I drink.
oh don't worry, we are in the same boat. :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 5:46 pm

http://www.digitallook.com/news/general ... 15121.html
'Yen could be replaced by fingerprints for tourists in Japan'
Tourists in Japan might soon be able to forgo the rigmarole of changing their sterling to yen, with a new system being launched allowing fingerprints to be used to pay for items.
The system will be launched this summer, with Yomiuri reporting its stated goal is to make shopping and checking into hotels quicker and easier for foreign visitors.
Visitors will first register themselves at an airport or other public location, have their fingerprints taken and hand over their credit card details to link a payment method to the fingerprint.
They will then be able to make purchases from a number of stores by placing two fingers on a scanning device. The tax refund scheme for overseas visitors will be automatically tied in with the system.
It will also act as a faster way for overseas tourists to identify themselves at hotel check-in, compared with the current method of handing over passports.
In the first phase, 300 souvenir shops, restaurants and hotels will be part of the system in a number of popular tourist areas.Officials remained hopeful the system could be fully launched throughout the country by 2020, in time for the Olympic and Paralympic games.'

------------------------------------

Then take a 'proximity read' on a SIM card, and you're away. Monitor what tourists are doing,thinking and where, 24/7. I expect to see such things rolled out (cough) elsewhere...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 8:04 pm

nakatago wrote:
It's kinda refreshing that I can travel 300 km--or even just 100 km--and not have to bring my passport.
Shouldnt it is be "take my passport" ?

"I didnt have to bring my passport, to America"
"I wont take my passport, to America"

Both are correct, but note the difference, in circumstances ;)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 8:24 pm

to elaborate a bit further,

It's very refreshing to know that I can travel three hundred kilometers and not have to use my passport.

It's very refreshing to know that I can travel three hundred kilometers and not have to take a passport along.

It's very refreshing to know that I can travel three hundred kilometers and not have to use my passport.

It's very refreshing to know that I can travel three hundred kilometers and not have a passport on my person.

God! English is a difficult language.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 8:35 pm

long travel but me no passport lah

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 8:49 pm

There was a Filipino guy in my previous company, very nice guy and very techie. He used to mix up come and go all the time. He would pick up the phone and say "Can you go here?" to call someone to his desk.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 9:44 pm

Why talk about pinoys? The local always say "can I send you home" or "can I follow you to the store" What! they're going to stick a stamp on his forehead and shove him in a postbox? Or is the person to run behind the car or walk 20 paces behind me on the sidewalk????
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers