Singapore Expats

what type of pass can apply for 3 years old toddlers

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Skymoon

what type of pass can apply for 3 years old toddlers

Post by Skymoon » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:26 am

Need some advice
I am Malaysian and holding EP.
My spouse is holding WP at this moment.
We are planing to bring our 3 years old daughter to Singapore for nursery 1.
Have try to apply for a student pass but was rejected.
I think I unable to apply DP for her as my salary is less than 5k.
Any other pass I can apply for her to study in Singapore?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: what type of pass can apply for 3 years old toddlers

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 4:31 am

A three year old is going to "study" in Singapore? A child ought to be playing.

Skymoon

Post by Skymoon » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 7:54 am

Not possible at all to get student pass?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 9:11 am

Strong Eagle wrote:A three year old is going to "study" in Singapore?
Especially in Singapore! I know a child half that age who has started playing with flash cards. :o
A child ought to be playing.
If done well, learning is playing and playing is learning. They're not separate concepts, unless you're only familiar with dreary rote teaching, which is also common in Asia.

Skymoon, the only semi-realistic pass I can think of is a Short-Term Visit Pass immediately followed by a short-term Student's Pass application (not guaranteed). But this path doesn't yield anything beyond 30 days. If your child is attending some sort of short learning program, OK, that might work, but otherwise I think you've been shut out quite forcefully, for now anyway. Which is awful, of course. :(

If you have a special needs child then a medical pass might be possible, but that too would be relatively short-term, not long-term.

Any chance you can get into the $5K+/month fixed monthly salary range? For example, would your employer be willing to increase your fixed monthly salary even if it meant reducing variable pay, 13th month bonus, etc? Or are you just too far off?

Skymoon

Post by Skymoon » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 9:38 am

Thanks for your advice.we are just thinking to bring her in while both parents is working in Singapore and no body help us to take care soon.
Really have no idea what can we do.

Many thanks.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:01 pm

If done well, learning is playing and playing is learning.
What have I done to deserve this, Jesus?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: what type of pass can apply for 3 years old toddlers

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
If done well, learning is playing and playing is learning.
What have I done to deserve this, Jesus?
Hypothetically speaking, if Jesus was in North Korea .....

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:59 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What have I done to deserve this, Jesus?
Skymoon asked a reasonable question, and you did not show her any measure of courtesy, kindness, or empathy as far as I can tell. I politely nudged you back in that direction. You didn't like being nudged. So be it.

Be nice to each other. It's not hard.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 4:07 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What have I done to deserve this, Jesus?
Skymoon asked a reasonable question, and you did not show her any measure of courtesy, kindness, or empathy as far as I can tell. I politely nudged you back in that direction. You didn't like being nudged. So be it.

Be nice to each other. It's not hard.
To be fair, you didnt' help either. And thinking aloud about medical pass ? :-k

And asking the employer to adjust 13th month into salary ? very few employers who pay salary about 5K or so like to do such stuff, for too many reasons. Yes, no harm in asking. But don't expect a miracle there.

And about increasing pay : Well, even if that happened, MOM and ICA has become wise to such stunts: they ask for 6 pay slips post increase, plus bank statement, to see there is no kick back scheme.

As for OP, well, you are just a casualty of the rules being tightened.

Additionally, do note, if you are drawing 4.7K, and ICA says you need to earn 5K, and you revise your pay to 5K, there is no guarantee that it will be reviewed favorably. 5K is a guideline, and not a sure way of getting the pass.

The only solution is to try and apply again, hoping ICA will have a change of heart in your case.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 4:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:To be fair, you didnt' help either.
I appreciate Skymoon's thanks.

Skymoon, I agree with Ecureilx that you're in a tough spot if you want to bring your child into Singapore for anything more than short stays, but I gather you already knew that given the DP and SP denials. I'm not sure if I agree with Ecureilx that a reapplication is the only solution, especially since we don't know all the details about your circumstances.

Conceivably you could move your child as close to Singapore as possible (i.e. Johor Bahru) and at least spend time off (such as weekends) together with your child, assuming that's in your child's best interests. Obviously that arrangement is not ideal.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for Skymoon?

Skymoon

Post by Skymoon » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 4:53 pm

Is there any problem if I reapply the student pass instead of appeal?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 5:19 pm

I can't think of any "problem" in the sense of your getting in trouble, assuming you tell the truth. There's a S$30 fee to apply for a Student's Pass, so that's one difference between an appeal and a new application.

Either way, your chances of getting a different decision greatly depend on having some material change in expressed circumstances, meaning some significant fact that ICA didn't see in the denied SP application because they weren't presented with that information. Here are some possible examples: a salary increase, a different school (perhaps also with a higher EduTrust grade), a different (lower) school fee, a significant reduction in household expenses, an unusual family hardship. Asking for a different decision, either with an appeal or with a new application, based on the same set of facts is not likely to produce a different outcome.

I agree with Ecureilx that "engineering" such a significant fact is also unlikely to work. It shouldn't be something artificial or contrived. Ecureilx's example is a good one: a salary increase has to be genuine, free of kickbacks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 6:01 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:I can't think of any "problem" in the sense of your getting in trouble, assuming you tell the truth. There's a S$30 fee to apply for a Student's Pass, so that's one difference between an appeal and a new application.
I am not so sure, but from what I recall, an appeal is considered a new application and the 30 $ payment is required.

Skymoon

Post by Skymoon » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 6:07 pm

Many thanks for the advices

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 8:24 pm

Skymoon wrote:Is there any problem if I reapply the student pass instead of appeal?
IMO you should not see the student pass as a workaround the DP. I think this is why your application was and will be rejected. The only case I could imagine that could grant your kid a pass would be a full time boarding kindergarten and I am not sure if such a thing in SG exist.

I am purely speculating but if you were not working in SG at all, your chances might be actually higher to get the pass (assuming you are a female).

Do you see my point?