Singapore Expats

Fresh PR Application - your opinion

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Fresh PR Application - your opinion

Post by bcheng74 » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 5:25 pm

Dear all,

I'm an EP holder, and am planning for PR application and have secured a slot for submission in end Aug this year.

Here is my credentials. Do advise what chance do you think my profile will have for a successful PR application.

Nationality: HK
Race: Chinese
Annual salary: 220K + 48K bonus in 2015
Educational Background: Post-graduate degree from reputable HK university, plus a professional qualification in Internal Auditing
Industry: Foreign Bank
Family: Housewife + 2 kids (6 years-old girl and 3 years old boy)
Been in Singapore since Jun 2015

Cheers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Fresh PR Application - your opinion

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 5:51 pm

Personal opinions follow, as of course all such posts here are.
bcheng74 wrote:Nationality: HK
Race: Chinese
Annual salary: 220K + 48K bonus in 2015
Educational Background: Post-graduate degree from reputable HK university, plus a professional qualification in Internal Auditing
Fairly positive so far.
Industry: Foreign Bank
A bit of a negative perhaps, but other than switching to a different employer/sector (which has its own potential negatives), what can you do?
Family: Housewife + 2 kids (6 years-old girl and 3 years old boy)
Positive if the whole family is applying, negative otherwise (and very negative if the son doesn't apply).
Been in Singapore since Jun 2015
ICA's instructions clearly request 3 years of tax assessments. ICA doesn't prohibit you from applying without those assessments, but failure to provide what they request should be viewed as a negative.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks for comment. My plan is to apply for whole families including kids. They are all now living in SG with me on dependent pass. We are prepared to stay here for long term for kids to study and grow up here. Of course, NS will be part of his growth story.

And while I know my 1-year stay here would be a negative, I am not sure why working in a foreign bank would be considered a bit of negative. Anyway, I've worked for four years in the largest local singaporean bank (DXX) overseas business before.

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 8:43 pm

I dont think you have spent enough time in Singapore to prove that you are serious about making Singapore your home..

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 9:10 pm

bcheng74 wrote:And while I know my 1-year stay here would be a negative, I am not sure why working in a foreign bank would be considered a bit of negative.
There's some circumstantial evidence that banking isn't ICA's favorite industry of late.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 4:40 am

I don't think you will get PR.

a) You haven't even been here a year when you applied.
b) You are working for a large bank.
c) You are making a lot of money.
d) You're the right age to be a mid to high level executive to be on a fast track.

This means:

1) You were transferred in by the bank less than a year ago to fill some role.
2) You can just as easily be transferred out again to fill some other role elsewhere (and probably will be).
3) Such transfers are more likely in your salary range than the average earning schmo.

Therefore, unless you can demonstrate that the bank intends to make you a long term employee in Singapore, I predict you will get a letter saying that you are "welcome to continue working on your existing employment pass".

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Apr 2016 9:04 am

I concur ^^^

But I could be wrong, it's happened before. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

josephchan7

Post by josephchan7 » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 2:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I concur ^^^

But I could be wrong, it's happened before. ;-)
hi sundaymorningstaple, may i have your input regarding sponsorship by SG spouse. i was told that it is better for my SG wife to work in order to sponsor me for the application, but is there a minimum salary she has to earn in order to sponsor me? if yes, do you have any idea whats the minimum salary? or rather, the total family income recommended to apply for PR under family ties

but right now my wife is a housewife, not looking to find a job yet. do you think she can apply as a sponsor for my PR application without producing her employment letter, payslips etc according to the explanatory notes? do i need to explain the ICA officer for not being able to produce such documents since she's not working?

If you have better suggestions, please do share. thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 3:09 pm

Getting PR via the Family Ties is a bit of a puzzlement at times. The normal figure bandied about is around 4.5K/mo by the sponsor, however, we've had one former regular, Saint, whose wife is a Singaporean, applied for PR from the UK where they had been living for some time (married, no children). He applied and got the IPA while still working in the UK. So it can be done. But at the other end of the scale we've seen guys from the banking industry get bounced with 400K salaries as well for regular PR, like this unfortunate fellow from 8 months ago....
Sector: Banking
Wife: Singapore citizen
Kids: Singapore citizen ( 2 daughters )
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 37#p730637

Total family income? Let's see, you get retrenched, she's a local and hasn't worked for a while. If you lose your job (not unheard of for high level financial people when banks start dropping 15~20% of their staff) then her abilities to support you and the family might be difficult.

So my advice is to go ahead and apply, with your eyes wide open. You buys yer ticket and you takes yer chances. Expect the worst, anything better is great. The way I see it, currently it's a crapshoot. One thing is for certain, if you do apply, it's also likely you won't get it, but you could. If you don't apply, you won't get it - 100% guaranteed.

Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sun, 16 Apr 2017 9:15 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I don't think you will get PR.

a) You haven't even been here a year when you applied.
b) You are working for a large bank.
c) You are making a lot of money.
d) You're the right age to be a mid to high level executive to be on a fast track.

This means:

1) You were transferred in by the bank less than a year ago to fill some role.
2) You can just as easily be transferred out again to fill some other role elsewhere (and probably will be).
3) Such transfers are more likely in your salary range than the average earning schmo.

Therefore, unless you can demonstrate that the bank intends to make you a long term employee in Singapore, I predict you will get a letter saying that you are "welcome to continue working on your existing employment pass".
Just want to share that I received the approval from ICA, just before the Good Friday.

Thank you very much for the support from this forum!

Cheers
Last edited by bcheng74 on Sun, 16 Apr 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sun, 16 Apr 2017 9:17 am

deleted