Singapore Expats

Can an LTVP register a sole-proprietorship?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
preppie

Can an LTVP register a sole-proprietorship?

Post by preppie » Fri, 08 Apr 2016 11:24 pm

Hello, I am on LTVP, my husband is a PR. Unlike a DP or an LTVP+ holder, I cannot register a sole-proprietorship on my own since LTVPs cannot apply for a SingPass (SingPass is mandatory for registering a sole-proprietorship). The ACRA website says that someone who doesn't have a SingPass can apply for registration through a law firm/secretarial services firm.

My question is can a LTVP holder register a sole-proprietorship through a law firm/secretarial services firm? Do I have to seek permission from the MoM? Any feedback on this will be great.

Thanks.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Can an LTVP register a sole-proprietorship?

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 12:53 am

This is a rather murky area. As a LTVP holder you cannot work. If you were to register a SP, you would be its manager and would be "working", therefore you cannot register the SP.

Let's say however, that you purchased a SP from someone else and that SP has an active manager. You will not be actively involved in the business at all. Now, you would be making a passive investment and could probably own the SP.

In general, though, it is highly likely that someone who registers a SP is going to be working in it... thus, you need a permit to work, LTVP+, DP, etc, with a LOC.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Can an LTVP register a sole-proprietorship?

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 4:44 pm

Isn't the typical solution in this case:

(a) The PR spouse starts the business;
(b) The spouse applies for a Letter of Consent to hire his/her spouse as an employee of the business;
(c) If the LoC is approved, the spouse then works for the business;

with the PR spouse being the titular head/owner of the company, but the non-PR spouse actually does all (or practically all) of the work?