Singapore Expats

FTS or PTS scheme?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
josephchan7

FTS or PTS scheme?

Post by josephchan7 » Fri, 08 Apr 2016 4:04 pm

hi,

i'm currently married to a singaporean woman. i know that i'm eligible to apply under the family ties scheme since i'm the spouse of a singaporean. however, is it compulsory for the wife to be working in order to be a sponsor? so in other words, the sponsor has to be earning a decent salary and of high qualification?

if my wife is a housewife or earning a low income, is it better to apply under PTS instead?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: FTS or PTS scheme?

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 08 Apr 2016 5:02 pm

Family Ties is better because you'll automatically be considered on your own merits (PTS) if necessary.

josephchan7

Post by josephchan7 » Fri, 08 Apr 2016 5:20 pm

hi bbc, the explanatory notes state the i require sponsor's cpf contribution, employment letter, income tax etc etc so if she's working do you think it's ok to apply?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 08 Apr 2016 7:46 pm

josephchan7 wrote:hi bbc, the explanatory notes state the i require sponsor's cpf contribution, employment letter, income tax etc etc so if she's working do you think it's ok to apply?
Yes; this is to only gather information - the call will be made on total family income - not hers or yours only.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 4:31 pm

....And perhaps that means she's not a "terrific" PR sponsor in that sense, but you still have a chance of approval as a foreign spouse of a Singaporean. It's best to let ICA give you that chance, however big or small. ICA will still give you your PTS chance if necessary.

Would you rather somebody give you two lottery tickets or just the second of those two lottery tickets? ;)

josephchan7

Post by josephchan7 » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 4:32 pm

PNGMK wrote:
josephchan7 wrote:hi bbc, the explanatory notes state the i require sponsor's cpf contribution, employment letter, income tax etc etc so if she's working do you think it's ok to apply?
Yes; this is to only gather information - the call will be made on total family income - not hers or yours only.
sorry i meant, if she's **not working** is it ok to apply? if she's not working i wont be able to have her current employment letter and all that etc so do I have to write an explanation letter to ICA officer or explain to them verbally on why I do not have such documents? Since I assume that all those documents are compulsory

josephchan7

Post by josephchan7 » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 4:34 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:....And perhaps that means she's not a "terrific" PR sponsor in that sense, but you still have a chance of approval as a foreign spouse of a Singaporean. It's best to let ICA give you that chance, however big or small. ICA will still give you your PTS chance if necessary.

Would you rather somebody give you two lottery tickets or just the second of those two lottery tickets? ;)
yes i love my wife but she doesnt sound like an "ideal" sponsor in terms on her career stability and income.. so i was just worried that it will affect my application. thks for the info bbc