Singapore Expats

Lift Ettiquette ...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Lift Ettiquette ...

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:39 pm

[-X I used to do a similar maneuver a dozen years ago when i was working at IP. I used to carry a 12 kg Samsonite hardside briefcase on the MRT. in those days queuing was a joke - they'd stand to the sides until the doors just started to open and then just rush the doors. They soon learned not to do that if I was standing on the inside in front of the door because as soon as it opened I'd step out smartly. Of course the briefcase had to follow usually in a rapidly descending arc assisted a bit on it's journey. Woe be it to the poor ignorant arse who rushed the door as usually the case would connect with the front of their thigh. I'd not slow down but would apologize, saying [-X "sorry, but that would not have happened if you had some courtesy and let us out first." and continue on my way.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:58 pm

Yeah, I remember you and your Samsonite [vicarious pleasure] :cool:

Do you remember my anecdote of a blur like sotong young women on her hand-phone* expecting to walk through me. I accidentally almost wiped her out and she followed me for 50M through a crowded town-centre in a ... well, basically, in a complete and veery loud hysteria.

Years later I still remember that vividly, and it still seems weird. I mean what do you expect walking square-on into a 'beached Beluga'...lol?

* How I hate, hate that name for a mobile lol...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 12:19 am

Yep. Sure do. In fact I was thinking about that when I was typing before but it was quicker to type than doing the search for the thread.

When I go back to the US you should see me acting like sotong when people talk about cellphones. lol
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 9:58 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Far more important "lift etiquette" is the ability to correctly steer a heavily laden rollerbag over shins and insteps of those mouth breathers who insist on getting into the lift before anyone else can get off.
Reach over the shoulders of the guy in front of you inside and shove the idiot Shanghainese back on his arse as he tries to barge in. Then blame the guy in front of you (who works it out and backs you up as you both step over the bargers body prone on the floor). Not that I've done that....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 02 Apr 2016 11:52 am

JR8 wrote:Do you remember my anecdote of a blur like sotong young women on her hand-phone* expecting to walk through me. I accidentally almost wiped her out a
I am surprised it hasn't happened yet where I fail to yield to a text-rapt zombie walker and as a result of our their-fault collision, their phone drops and shatters.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.