Singapore Expats

Offered Citizenship via mail but did not respond

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Offered Citizenship via mail but did not respond

Post by lot286 » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 10:19 am

Hi guys
any one of you have a similar situation like mine?

i remember seeing a letter from ICA inviting me to be a Singaporean Citizen 10 years ago but i did not reply (as i was overseas) and neither, like some of my friends who wrote back to reject the invitation.

I will be applying for Singapore Citizenship soon (being 10years wiser etc). I am wondering if by not replying to the invitation, will this affect my application?

I have heard of people who have rejected the invitation and applied later, only to be rejected. but in my case, the invitation was never replied.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Offered Citizenship via mail but did not respond

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:27 pm

lot286 wrote:Hi guys
any one of you have a similar situation like mine?

i remember seeing a letter from ICA inviting me to be a Singaporean Citizen 10 years ago but i did not reply (as i was overseas) and neither, like some of my friends who wrote back to reject the invitation.

I will be applying for Singapore Citizenship soon (being 10years wiser etc). I am wondering if by not replying to the invitation, will this affect my application?

I have heard of people who have rejected the invitation and applied later, only to be rejected. but in my case, the invitation was never replied.
Depending upon your country of origin and race, you may get it rejected like your friends, or not.

Just try, and if you are not from the flavor of the month / year, you may have very high rejection, vs those of your background but not invited in the past for SC.

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:30 pm

ok. wondering if ICA blacklist all the ex-invitees...!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:41 pm

lot286 wrote:ok. wondering if ICA blacklist all the ex-invitees...!!
Then I recalled, 10 +++ years ago, those who didn't take up SC were refused REP renewal.

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:53 pm

wow. Refused REP due to turning down SCs? thats serious.
i managed to renew mine (ERP) for an additional 10 years, but i didnt refuse (i just didnt reply the mail)...maybe that's why

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 2:00 pm

lot286 wrote:wow. Refused REP due to turning down SCs? thats serious.
i managed to renew mine (ERP) for an additional 10 years, but i didnt refuse (i just didnt reply the mail)...maybe that's why
Yes, and the folks who got done in were working for a large MNC IT Company here, and all migrated out of here, when the privileges that come with PR also was gone.

10 years REP ? oh, that was 'those days' ..

Your not responding is the same as saying NO to ICA, when they asked you nicely :)

Good luck, if your REP gets renewed for another 5 years. you will need all the luck.

PS, I see you are a Malaysian Chinese, so, well, the stars may still be aligned in your favor ;)

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 2:23 pm

thanks man. I think they sent me the mail invite 2 years after my first PR approval (5yrs) which was in 2004 (the good old days). After that i renewed once in 2007 and they gave me 10 years, which is gonna end in 2017!.

But i think the folks who lost their REP has more to do with the large MNC relocating elsewhere no? rather than not taking up the SC .

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 2:29 pm

lot286 wrote:But i think the folks who lost their REP has more to do with the large MNC relocating elsewhere no? rather than not taking up the SC .
Nope, not that way.

They lost their REP - possibly since the only thing they did wrong was to ignore the invite, and then left the Large MNC.

That large MNC is still here ...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 2:45 pm

lot286 wrote:thanks man. I think they sent me the mail invite 2 years after my first PR approval (5yrs) which was in 2004 (the good old days). After that i renewed once in 2007 and they gave me 10 years, which is gonna end in 2017!.

But i think the folks who lost their REP has more to do with the large MNC relocating elsewhere no? rather than not taking up the SC .
In principle PR is intended for future SC so if you refuse to take up SC then why to keep you on PR for ever? It's a simplification of course. There could be different reasons and different categories.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 3:11 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Then I recalled, 10 +++ years ago, those who didn't take up SC were refused REP renewal.
I call BS on that one. [-X

Link please.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Mar 2016 3:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Link please.
Will PM you, not gonna get into trouble needlessly.

PS, I need to clarify something, I should have said 'those invited to be SC by ICA but ignored (or invited by SiR)'

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:07 am

ecureilx wrote:

Link please.
Absolute BS. However in OP case I suspect the SC application will be evaluated on it's merits at the present time against the present criteria.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:40 am

PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Link please.
Absolute BS. However in OP case I suspect the SC application will be evaluated on it's merits at the present time against the present criteria.
Nope, Not BS.

I know the guys, all from Sub-Con, and kept quite when the then SiR sent the invite with forms, all they had to do was fill the form and send it back. They kept quite and progressively their REPs were denied, when they went to ICA to submit the REP form. As I said, that was about 2000 or so, when the Economic crisis had ended and the dot com bubble was bursting. Singapore had different immigration policies then.

However, in this case, it is year 2016, different rules, and OP is a Malaysian, so may not be subject to same conditions as before. Agreed on the 'present criteria'.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 31 Mar 2016 12:27 pm

I think the link between "refusing" SC and the REP not being renewed is more to do with the down turn than anything else?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Mar 2016 2:11 pm

If I remember correctly, HUGE number of sub-con's in the IT industry where shipped here as fast as they could as Singapore was trying to build an IT Hub and there was the big SCARE about what would happen on the stroke of midnight on new year's eve at the change to the new millennium. When the apocalypse didn't happen, they had do downshift in a hurry as they were "overstocked". It might have been a internal shift but it wasn't a policy for sure. 'Twas a big buildup for a little letdown.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers