Singapore Expats

Random thoughts thread

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Random thoughts thread

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 1:25 pm

x9200 wrote: I am actually pretty bro-ish under the right circumstances but regardless.All this middle and high class in Singapore is often more pretentious and boring then some really simple, ordinary people. It's a strange world.
I agree! i've had more casual, conversations with people who aren't rich, very down to earth, dont have good jobs eg cleaning lady, the toilet cleaner, the girl at the food court who makes tea/coffee or serves me food, we joke laugh, call each other names etc..

@x9 i am also resisting the urge to say "cool story bro" to your post :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 1:28 pm

i was sitting at this mamak place in KL this morning have a dosa and a cup of teh tarik watching life go by.. i watched around me chinese, indian and malay people eating almost the same thing without any qualms, while i have observed this in Singapore mainly in and round little india and farrer park its a bit more shoulder rubbing between the three races in KL than in Singapore.

edit: another observation, its past 3pm here, the country manager is having a cup of tea with the maid in the office and chatting away. something you'd never see in the Singapore office.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 3:40 pm

Yesterday, observed a Singlish goofup in my office. You know how Singaporeans use(or rather misuse) the word "first". They use it to say "now" rather than "first". But for a westerner, it could mean completely different. My manager said "You put that in production first". He meant to say, dont wait, put that in production, now. But my overseas colleagues, thought he said, put that in production and later in UAT and SIT, lol.

All MNCs should do a course to unlearn Singlish for Singaporeans

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 3:49 pm

or learn Singlish for westerners? :P

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 4:05 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:or learn Singlish for westerners? :P
Indians in my office also need some training, but not as much. Main thing they should stop using the word Lakh. One lakh Dollar! I am like What the f@#k. Dollar and Lakh cant go together. Pleeaaaasee..
Same way 5 Lakh rows in a table. If you are talking about rows in a table, chances are you are in an international setup and not India specific anymore. Its 500k rows. Any Indians reading this post on a stealth mode. If you are doing it, please stop!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 4:17 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yesterday, observed a Singlish goofup in my office. You know how Singaporeans use(or rather misuse) the word "first". They use it to say "now" rather than "first". But for a westerner, it could mean completely different. My manager said "You put that in production first". He meant to say, dont wait, put that in production, now. But my overseas colleagues, thought he said, put that in production and later in UAT and SIT, lol.

All MNCs should do a course to unlearn Singlish for Singaporeans
That exact piece of confusion is what led the pilots of SQ8 to pick the wrong runway at Taipei and stick their plane into construction machinery. The mothers should have been charged with manslaughter.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 4:19 pm

come to think of it, lakh and crore are our contributions to monetary values.. its not necessarily a bad thing but like you said, saying dus lac dollar doesn't make sense. nor does using it in say IT/computing.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:26 pm

'That moment your Deep Purple post/link on Facebook from late yesterday gets Liked by only your 70-something SGn 'Heartlander' mother-in-law'.

Hahahahaha! :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 27 Mar 2016 1:36 pm

Pilot suffered from tunnel vision trying to juggle with multiple complexities. He had to navigate in stormy weather, work within a narrow window of time as weather was deteriorating and runs the risk of flight cancellation. Crew was so consumed with the cross wing that they missed the sign identifying the runway. He was so cautious in taxi -ing so slowly that he probably thought he had traveled a longer distance than he really did. Ending up in the wrong runway.

The airport has no ground radar.

And the construction area not marked clearly enough.

Last but not least, he ignored the beacon instrument which served as a warning that the plane was not in the right spot. And instead, choosing to trust his own visual sense.

He was fired from the job. Ironically, the experience and mistake he went thru could have made him a better pilot. But people will be scared to be flown by a pilot involved in a major accident. I am not sure what the airline protocols are for such cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W79IjEtfb18

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Random thoughts thread

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 27 Mar 2016 2:27 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Pilot suffered from tunnel vision trying to juggle with multiple complexities. ...
Don't forget the plane was painted In a rare special livery, and management felt that was a contributing factor.

Till the recent Sg50 Livery, no other SQ plane since then had special colours. ;)

Even the star Alliance themed planes retained their tail logo.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 27 Mar 2016 3:17 pm

i can't watch that video, seems to be blocked because of copyright infringment in your country.. i am in KL.. i will try from Singapore later on.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 27 Mar 2016 4:50 pm

Me neither...
But if like me you haven't a clue what the original post referred to this might help. This is all YT would render up...
---
'Singapore Airlines Flight 006 - Caution to the Wind
Singapore Airlines Flight 006 (SQ006) was a scheduled passenger flight from Singapore Changi Airport to Los Angeles International Airport via Chiang Kai-shek Airport (now Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport) in Taiwan. On 31 October 2000, at 15:17 UTC, 23:17 Taipei local time, a Boeing 747-412 on the route attempted to take off from the wrong runway in Taipei during a typhoon, destroying the aircraft and killing 83 of the 179 occupants.'
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Random thoughts thread

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 27 Mar 2016 6:12 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:i can't watch that video, seems to be blocked because of copyright infringment in your country.. i am in KL.. i will try from Singapore later on.
No can do from Singapore too.

It says contains content from Fox, and has been blocked. May need to VPN to US or something. Nearly 4 million views though.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Mar 2016 11:30 pm

Probably due to Asian Sensitivities.

Oh, and the truth hurts. Maybe?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 12:27 am

Hey guys, it is a 43 minute documentary about the incident. With forensic science thrown in. Garnering 3.9 million views on Youtube. Probably produced by a major TV network. One of those investigative show (series???). The title is "Singapore Airlines Flight 006 - Caution to the Wind".

Pilot assumed traffic control would notify him if he was on the wrong runway but the former could only see up to 600km due to poor visibility attributed to the weather. And the traffic control assumed pilot knew his way. So one of the fixes post-incident is that traffic control will remind in closer contact with pilot during poor weather condition.

It was not addressed on the show, but was the unusable runway lit? Shouldn't the lights be turned off to prevent pilots from using it? I can't imagine pilot taxi-ing down an unlit runway.