Singapore Expats

Music

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Music

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:07 am

My latest favourite band - Thievery Corporation, they are mostly trip hop,ambient and feature female vocals.
here is one of the best songs they've put out

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:16 am

JR8 wrote:you need to be willing to take it slightly out of the box ok? ;)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer 'Fanfare for the Common Man' @ Tollwood Festival, München Germany 1997.

[RIP Keith Emerson, keys]

Fanfare For The Common Man (Fantasia Live in Tokyo 2007) HQ

Need to watch again. Awesome. Presumably British [lol]?
Definitively British, along with the majority of the premier Prog acts.

Still gutted by this.

Lest we not forget his work with The Nice and their take on the Brubeck jazz classic, and his expertise for getting more possibilities than anyone out of a Hammond B3 bordering synthesizers before they became practical for live music performance.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:48 am

The other Moody Blues is one that I would have chosen myself, though an interesting version, which also I never heard, strangely given my immersion in them. A different treatment on the vocals, with Hayward's excellent gritty guitar left intact and the Mellotron brought more up in the mix.

Interesting to contrast it with the 'usual' version, and to hear Hayward's harmony guitars as would Brian May do a decade later

As with Renaissance, one of my other high-rotations at that time, I switched off the Moodies when they embarrassingly exited the 70s and stumbled into the 80s sounding lost and irrelevant.

You posted Equinoxe 4, among the 8 tracks on that, Interestingly it was Oxygene 4, of the 6 tracks on that, which brought me to Jarre

That Alan Parsons Project choice is one of two I would suggest as entry points, the other being I, Robot, is equally and as expertly produced and recorded.

Once I heard Anne Haslam's angelic voice on a Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, I got my hands on all the Renaissance albums, starting with Live at Carnegie Hall, which has about 70% of their best stuff and arguably the best versions of those.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 2:46 am

Rick Wakeman. In the modern era he might be considered a God of the keyboards. At one point keyboardist in the David Bowie band.

Check this out. No fancy post-editing, just solo in front of a studio audience of some journos.... feck me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogv7tD18gs
'Rick Wakeman's Tribute To David Bowie - Life On Mars'
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 2:54 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:My latest favourite band - Thievery Corporation,
It's got that very Iberian [Spanish] house chill-out vibe...

...just imagine that breathlessness is some self-abandoned chickie rubbing in the oil....

[Are there ant lesbians present, can I say this?]

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 3:00 am

@ Brah, re: ELP and Hammond. Same as Doors right (wafts of Manzarak) .... though this sounds like a very evolved sound. Years had passed etc, technology etc (esp then). That gittar is pretty damned sweet. Shame it gets reined in to 'it's set piece', before keys are off again..... oh gawd then it gets bogged down into some classical classical shtick...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 4:03 am

Beat Club: Crazy World; Alice Cooper-Captain Beefheart-MC5-New York Dolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EGSW1W3zvg

[The Alice Cooper Band gittar is soooo 'Woodstock'
Yer, know they could have a Woodstock on the Padang. A Woodstock for Asia. Tickets from $1000. Mek lots for the gubment. 'Start with social programme, how they must be more creative...' $10 off early-birds ah

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 4:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P97s0uBvaxw
Beat Club # 18 - Ram Jam Band; Cliff Bennett; Smoke; Jimi Hendrix; The Who [67]

JH @ 19m - wonderful, wonderful early footage [very good sound too, for that time].

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 4:41 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJcKcgOGOkM
Deep Purple - Child In Time Live 1970 HD
[yes, a real great vid/recording of it]

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:56 am

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:My latest favourite band - Thievery Corporation,
It's got that very Iberian [Spanish] house chill-out vibe...

...just imagine that breathlessness is some self-abandoned chickie rubbing in the oil....

[Are there ant lesbians present, can I say this?]
this woman Natalia Clavier is Argentinian, has a very sensuous voice indeed.. permission to speak freely granted :lol:

and this band while they have songs like this, they also have some trippy songs like this.. featuring anushka shankar.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 3:07 pm

JR8 wrote:Rick Wakeman. In the modern era he might be considered a God of the keyboards. At one point keyboardist in the David Bowie band.

Check this out. No fancy post-editing, just solo in front of a studio audience of some journos.... feck me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogv7tD18gs
'Rick Wakeman's Tribute To David Bowie - Life On Mars'
Agree in the same league as Emerson, and as unique.

His Six Wives of Henry the 8th is a classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjYT90yFxE

The medley of that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0LfdmQ3NaM
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 3:08 pm

JR8 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJcKcgOGOkM
Deep Purple - Child In Time Live 1970 HD
[yes, a real great vid/recording of it]
One of the other masters of the Hammond
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 8:34 pm

It's constantly amazing how a few lines in passing opens up a whole new book...
I suspect RW pretty much passed me by since by the time I was aware of him he was (IIRC) in Yes's later years, who weren't my 'young and angry' cup of tea at the time :) And that being such, there was no reason to consider the Yes line-up and start digging backwards looking for gold.
Looking at his Wiki entry is just amazing, really. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Wakeman From how he made it so young. To how his discography includes 90 solo albums: ***90***! :shock:

I started playing 'Six Wives' and immediately realised that I need to allot it time for more than casual listening. [At 2:00 I was wondering if he's channelling Joe Cockers 'Let's get stoned'... :)]
Hopefully I'll have time to give it a full spin later today...

Thanks for the mention, what a potential goldmine lays beneath. Also his association with The Strawbs, described as for a time Prog-rock. Hmmm... I've heard of them but couldn't suggest the name of any of their releases. I'm sure I'll be like Ohhhh/Dohhh! in due course. Hmmm, some more digging to do!

-- Also interesting how the Hammond organ is so distinctive. I mean if you really know your stuff you might recognise the sound of say a Gibson vs a Fender guitar, but that Hammond sound stands out a mile.

-- I could name several bands where if you only heard their very late work you might be so turned off you would never choose to dig back. But if you discover a band early you tend to be far more tolerant/appreciative and journey with them as they evolve.

Same with visual arts. If say your first taste of Piet Mondrian was something like this from his late period... Image Then it is perfectly understandable if you look at it and wonder if it's some kind of bizarre but inexplicably expensive con-trick! You have to have seen the evolution to have any hope of interpreting the final ultra-distillation of it...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 8:58 pm

The Rolling Stones played a free concert in Havana last night, wow. To an audience of 400k! That's the same size as Woodstock'69 - how incredible.
... and that set-list, wow...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-t ... istoric-c/

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 9:28 pm

'The 11 best punk albums'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-t ... rummer-re/

re: my comments of 1/2hr ago re: Yes... you don't get much more timely than this that I came upon just now... it reveals the epic and unavoidable scale of the culture-clash that punk created...
---
'2. The Ramones – The Ramones (April 1976) The Clash's Joe Strummer repeatedly paid tribute to The Ramones for stripping rock 'n' roll to its bare two or three chord essentials, while all around them bands like Rush and Yes were lost in 20-minute guitar solos and stadium rock excess. The band's black leather, torn skinny jeans and cheap sneakers trademarked the essential punk look, while their revved-up hyper accelerated sound fired the starting pistol for every kid looking to start a punk band. "Hey ho, let's go!" '

edit/add: This writer seems to totally get what it was like back then... [my bold]
---
'3. Neat, Neat, Neat – The Damned (February 1977) They may not have had the anarchic shock value of the Sex Pistols or the sheer righteous anger of The Clash – preferring a cartoonish stage presence and dressing up in party costumes – but The Damned beat them all to it with the first British punk single New Rose. Included in this, their debut album, the opening chords of the song are a spine tingling attempt to sweep away the prog rock, glam and euro-style ballads which then dominated the charts. Listening to it now it's still possible to conjure up the excitement a teenager looking for a new, relevant soundtrack to their lives must have felt.