Singapore Expats

Legalise cycling on footpath ....

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Legalise cycling on footpath ....

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 4:46 pm

JR8 wrote: So to be granted a right to ride bicycles on pavements, and in the absence of common sense and courtesy, you need enforcement to ensure cyclists respect the right of way of those who need it. Since that's absent now, how is encouraging them further likely to improve things? Beats me.
Agreed!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 9:25 pm

The reasons for this are what?
To justify the police's laziness in doing nothing about the current situation of rampant cycling on footpaths despite it being illegal?
Because Singaporeans acknowledge that they are terrible drivers and it's impossible for them to conceive sharing road space with anyone else?
As I mention before, will it now be made legal to ride motorbikes on the footpath? After all, the police do nothing about that, and it's not particularly difficult to find motorbikes on the pavement - just look outside any office building, hawker centre and certain religious buildings.

What's worse? The attitude of the cyclists on the footpath at the moment - ringing their bells and expecting pedestrians to jump out of their way.
They also get rather peeved when they "fall" off their bikes...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 9:48 pm

especially when I shove my cane through their front spokes. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:28 pm

They've got it right at East Coast Park... wider paths that are delineated between bikers and pedestrians. Most of the paths in Houston allow bikes... but... there is grass on each side of the path... the pedestrian always has the right of way... and the bikes go on the grass to go around.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:38 pm

Yeah, the bikes paths in East Coast Park two separate paths, one for bikes and one for pedestrians and clearly marked as such. Both normally filled up with pedestrians so the bikes cannot move easily.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 9:57 am

another annoying thing is in the running track, there is a message asking walkers to stay away from tracks 1-3 as its meant for runners who sprint, but no there will be some idiot with his phone on lane 1
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 10:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:especially when I shove my cane through their front spokes. ;-)
I like to witness that. :lol:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:24 am

bgd wrote:
Hidy Ho wrote:
Barnsley wrote: Previously, bicycles and personal mobility devices were not allowed on footpaths.
Is this a joke? :P

Near Paya Lebar MRT, I see bicycles on the sidewalk all the time. Beside walking zombies staring at their phones, this is one of my biggest peeve walking. They ride on the sidewalk like they have the right of way and own it!!

Now, I see those electric e-scooter riders zipping through the crowd all the time. Someone is going to get hurt by one of these kids.
It's illegal in most places in Singapore. Some of the new towns permit it, Tampines is one I think.
Yes, in Tampines we have always ridden on the footpath even before they put the bicycle lanes. Now we have seperate bicycle lanes, although, people still consider it a one huge common path where both pedestrians and cyclists can use.

This is how it looks in Tampines:

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 8:34 pm

Wd40 wrote:
This is how it looks in Tampines:
What I heard from a Tampines resident was that when the cycling on footpaths "experiment" was launched they widened the footpaths... then shelters were put up with pillars on the footpath to make them narrower again.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 9:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:especially when I shove my cane through their front spokes. ;-)
Wait. You need a cane????
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:48 am

Addadude wrote:
He meant his magic wand !!! A-la Harry Potter ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 12:24 pm

Well, if I had said my oaken staff then the intent would have been obvious. Or my kevlar shafted branded golfing umbrella (Ping).

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 1:30 pm

Addadude wrote:
SMS stands for SaruMan Singapore :lol:

thous shalt not pass

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 2:30 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Addadude wrote:
SMS stands for SaruMan Singapore :lol:

thous shalt not pass
That's Gandalf.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 29 Mar 2016 10:42 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, the bikes paths in East Coast Park two separate paths, one for bikes and one for pedestrians and clearly marked as such. Both normally filled up with pedestrians so the bikes cannot move easily.
The roads are safer than East Coast Park on a Sunday afternoon. :roll: