Singapore Expats

SG citizen by descent; NS defaulter?

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: SG citizen by descent; NS defaulter?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 4:11 pm

That would be appreciated yca31.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 4:57 pm

Kid, you are good to go.

Herein lies the finer details. As long as you have received the renounce letter from ICA and on top of what SMS said about gaining Singapore Passport which you DID NOT. There is nothing stopping you from working here with the proper IPA letter or whatever you call it approved by MOM.
MOM already knew and confirm with Mindef. Stop worrying.
NS liabilities only befall on oneself when one scoot from SG and unable to renounce SG citizenship which you did renounce and approved by ICA
Like all parent they apply the SG citizenship as a back up but not wanting to use it until they hit the wall. I did that too and I did not use it for my children. Comes 21 they will be told to renounce or lose SG citizenship as they already knew you had a foreign citizenship by birth.
This is not in the internet where you can scroll from days on end like BBCW does or you can look him up as the GURU . It has to be tried and tested
Unless you did not bare open your cupboard for us to see and there is no skeleton in the cupboard then you are good to go

Hey BBCW , try surf the internet to find this info since you are master of BS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 8:34 pm

MS, BBCW means well though. He just gets caught up in himself I think and ends up confusing the poster who only has a simple question to ask, not knowing there may well be many twists & turns that can be taken. He has his good points as he does do the research if he can find it. Not like some who we know who tend to just postulate. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: SG citizen by descent; NS defaulter?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 11:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not like some who we know who tend to just postulate. ;-)
Wonder who that could be ?Image:p Image Image

yca31

Post by yca31 » Tue, 22 Mar 2016 12:19 am

Hi guys,

Mindef informed me today that I have no NS obligations whatsoever and that I'm good to go.

Thanks for all the info.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Mar 2016 8:12 am

Fantastic. Congratulations. Was pretty sure it would be that way.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 22 Mar 2016 2:23 pm

yca31 wrote:Hi guys,

Mindef informed me today that I have no NS obligations whatsoever and that I'm good to go.

Thanks for all the info.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Mar 2016 3:41 pm

High-Five, MS! ;-)

Bliss555

Re: US citizen by birth,Singapore citizen by registration, how best to renounce SG citizenship

Post by Bliss555 » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 7:33 pm

Hi, hope someone can help with this.Mad Scientist, you seem to be highly regarded for your knowledge here. My son is a dual Singapore American citizen, has reached the age of 21. He did not do NS. I requested deferment till 21 as he wished to retain US citizenship only, but this was not granted. He is a US citizen by birth and did his high school in Singapore and finished it in the US. He wants to renounce Singapore citizenship.Would it be best to let it lapse when he reaches the age of 22 or submit the formal papers now? As I understand it, ICA can withhold registration of renunciation since he did not appear for NS? Will his citizenship then still automatically lapse at age 22? How does this work? What does withholding of registration of renunciation actually mean? Since Singapore does not permit dual citizenship for a major, they cannot continue to register him as a citizen, correct? Would it be better to go through the whole process of filling out all the forms and formally renouncing or to just return the citizenship cert and ic if it is certain that they will not accept the renunciation? He intends to remain a US citizen only. The disturbing fact is not not being able to return to Singapore as there are not many ties here, but the fact of being branded a criminal under local law. Yes, I was careless and did not make myself fully acquainted with the laws until he left before age 15. How best to approach this? Any untoward consequences with a formal renunciation as one has to provide a copy of the foreign passport with all the details?

sundaymorningstaple

Re: US citizen by birth,Singapore citizen by registration, how best to renounce SG citizenship

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 10:33 pm

Bliss555 wrote:Hi, hope someone can help with this.Mad Scientist, you seem to be highly regarded for your knowledge here. My son is a dual Singapore American citizen, has reached the age of 21. He did not do NS. I requested deferment till 21 as he wished to retain US citizenship only, but this was not granted. He is a US citizen by birth and did his high school in Singapore and finished it in the US. He wants to renounce Singapore citizenship.Would it be best to let it lapse when he reaches the age of 22 or submit the formal papers now? As I understand it, ICA can withhold registration of renunciation since he did not appear for NS? Will his citizenship then still automatically lapse at age 22? How does this work? What does withholding of registration of renunciation actually mean? Since Singapore does not permit dual citizenship for a major, they cannot continue to register him as a citizen, correct? Would it be better to go through the whole process of filling out all the forms and formally renouncing or to just return the citizenship cert and ic if it is certain that they will not accept the renunciation? He intends to remain a US citizen only. The disturbing fact is not not being able to return to Singapore as there are not many ties here, but the fact of being branded a criminal under local law. Yes, I was careless and did not make myself fully acquainted with the laws until he left before age 15. How best to approach this? Any untoward consequences with a formal renunciation as one has to provide a copy of the foreign passport with all the details?
He will not be allow to renounce until he has done is NS. As he was a Singapore Citizen AND lived and schooled here past the age of 11/13 and also probably received his NRIC (usually at 14 years old) he has therefore benefited from his citizenship here. The fact that he has dual citizenship only means he can, if proper protocols are followed, get a deferment. This was obviously not done properly or probably wasn't done at all. The government will not allow him to renounce and it will not lapse at 22 because he is already in violation of the law here. He will be considered a defaulter and because he lived here for quite some time, his particulars will be well known therefore he will be redflagged in the databases and if he so much as steps up to an immigration gate in Singapore he will be picked up, fined, do maybe a couple of years of jail and then do his NS. Only then will they allow him to renounce.

Bliss555

Post by Bliss555 » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 6:12 am

If they do not allow him to renounce, he will be a dual citizen, and SIngapore does not permit that, so how does that work? Deferment was applied for and denied. He is a foreign citizen by birth.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 9:44 am

He is a dual citizen and, under present law anyway, will remain so for life assuming he never steps foot in Singapore (even for a flight connection). That seems like a paradox, doesn't it? Not really. Each country decides for itself the citizenship status of any particular individual. If, hypothetically, for example, the North Koreans had kidnapped him and made him their citizen it's a safe bet Singapore would still consider him their citizen, "prohibitions" against multiple citizenships notwithstanding. It's more accurate to say that Singapore does not easily tolerate adult possession of another citizenship.

Hypothetically, technically, he might be able to register his future child(ren) born abroad as Singaporean. Wouldn't that be something! ;)

The other option is he could serve then lose his citizenship, whereupon he'd likely have standard foreigner privileges (e.g. could visit Singapore).

How valuable to him is short-term access to those 278 square miles of our planet?

Bliss555

Post by Bliss555 » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 10:54 am

not valuable at all. just wish it could all be legal and aboveboard. your korea eg does not apply because it is not the US that objects to dual citizenship and he was a us citizen first, so why would they hang on to it?
also, once you surrender the citizenship and ic, you no longer have documentation to show you are a singapore citizen,right?
he can't come back for ns because they might jail him,and we don't want a conviction on his head.
not interested in registering any children as spore citizens.how can a tiny dot cause so much disruption and upheaval inpeople's lives!!! too much!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 11:02 am

BBCWatcher wrote:He is a dual citizen and, under present law anyway, will remain so for life assuming he never steps foot in Singapore (even for a flight connection). That seems like a paradox, doesn't it? Not really. Each country decides for itself the citizenship status of any particular individual. If, hypothetically, for example, the North Koreans had kidnapped him and made him their citizen it's a safe bet Singapore would still consider him their citizen, "prohibitions" against multiple citizenships notwithstanding. It's more accurate to say that Singapore does not easily tolerate adult possession of another citizenship.

Hypothetically, technically, he might be able to register his future child(ren) born abroad as Singaporean. Wouldn't that be something! ;)

The other option is he could serve then lose his citizenship, whereupon he'd likely have standard foreigner privileges (e.g. could visit Singapore).

How valuable to him is short-term access to those 278 square miles of our planet?
To all mods if you can hear me, I begged you to prevent this kind of postings, it is more of a disservice to all that come here looking for an answer
SMS , you told me that BBCW has its strong points and I acknowledged that but there are things it is best for him/her to keep him/her mouth shut
I have no qualms in posters posting opinions but when comes to rules and regulations please for the love of god , if one does not know best to keep one's opinion to oneself

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 11:25 am

I have no comment
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Sun, 10 Apr 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.