Singapore Expats

renewal of re-entry permit -- Retrenched during renewal.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Re:

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 3:47 pm

chanwaip wrote:sry off topic, can a child apply for schools here in singapore with just LTVP?
Yes, but with two caveats:

1. Citizens and PRs have public school placement priority. Foreigners get assigned to public schools last with no guarantee of placement.

2. School fees are higher. Primary school fees, for example, are currently (2016) S$550/month/child for foreigners (except for S$370/month for foreigners from ASEAN countries) versus S$110/month for PRs and S$0/month for citizens. (All primary school students also pay a S$6.50/month miscellaneous fee on top of that.)

Whether those higher fees (and school location) are "too costly" or not depends on the parents and their budget.

chanwaip

Post by chanwaip » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 4:17 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
chanwaip wrote:sry off topic, can a child apply for schools here in singapore with just LTVP?
Yes, but with two caveats:

1. Citizens and PRs have public school placement priority. Foreigners get assigned to public schools last with no guarantee of placement.

2. School fees are higher. Primary school fees, for example, are currently (2016) S$550/month/child for foreigners (except for S$370/month for foreigners from ASEAN countries) versus S$110/month for PRs and S$0/month for citizens. (All primary school students also pay a S$6.50/month miscellaneous fee on top of that.)

Whether those higher fees (and school location) are "too costly" or not depends on the parents and their budget.
thanks bbcwatcher. i think i have mentioned before that my wife and i are not in good terms but we are trying to patch things up now and communicating.

she's currently living in malaysia with my child. she does not have any type of work pass in singapore such as dependent pass or visitor pass. but can i still apply PR for her and my child despite them holding not any pass? i will personally fly over to retrieve their original documents but they do not have to be there during the appointment right?

or do you think the better solution is to apply PR for myself and then if approved, i will apply LTVP for them?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 4:37 pm

chanwaip wrote:she's currently living in malaysia with my child. she does not have any type of work pass in singapore such as dependent pass or visitor pass. but can i still apply PR for her and my child despite them holding not any pass?
Well, you can try, and I think it would be a good idea to try if she is interested. It's her independent decision to make, though, and please don't pressure her. Oddly enough the instructions don't rule out the possibility.

Regardless of whether ICA accepts their PR applications or not you will have to provide their details as part of your application. On page 4 of Form 4A there's a question about your spouse's address in Singapore, and you would answer "N.A." (Not Applicable) whether or not your spouse wishes to apply since she is not a resident of Singapore. Your spouse will need to sign at the bottom of page 7 in her own hand (or provide her thumb print) if she wishes to apply for PR. Make sure the form is completely filled out before she signs, except for the answer to "Applying for PR with you?" on page 4. She then would answer that last remaining question by ticking the Yes box if she's applying, then sign the fully completed form. Then make a photocopy of the complete form and give her one. If she doesn't wish to sign you check No and submit the form without her signature or thumb print.

Technically you can apply for PR on behalf of your child without your wife's permission, but I don't recommend that. I recommend you not include your child unless you both agree. Choose "Yes" or "No" on page 5 (top right) depending on what you both agree. If you can't agree, I recommend letting your wife's decision stand as the final word.
i will personally fly over to retrieve their original documents but they do not have to be there during the appointment right?
That's correct.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: renewal of re-entry permit -- Retrenched during renewal.

Post by bro75 » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 4:47 pm

A child's LTVP will have to be converted to a student pass once accepted provided that the school has Edutrust certification. Without Edutrust certification, a school can only take in PRs and dependent pass holders.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 5:03 pm

Good point, Bro75. There is a conversion process from LTVP to Student's Pass. It's an important bureaucratic step that needs to be followed to get a student enrolled. It comes after application, though.

EduTrust certification relates to private schools, and of course private schools have different (higher) fees, application processes, and placement priorities. The details I provided upthread are for public schools.

chanwaip

Post by chanwaip » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 5:39 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
chanwaip wrote:she's currently living in malaysia with my child. she does not have any type of work pass in singapore such as dependent pass or visitor pass. but can i still apply PR for her and my child despite them holding not any pass?
Well, you can try, and I think it would be a good idea to try if she is interested. It's her independent decision to make, though, and please don't pressure her. Oddly enough the instructions don't rule out the possibility.

Regardless of whether ICA accepts their PR applications or not you will have to provide their details as part of your application. On page 4 of Form 4A there's a question about your spouse's address in Singapore, and you would answer "N.A." (Not Applicable) whether or not your spouse wishes to apply since she is not a resident of Singapore. Your spouse will need to sign at the bottom of page 7 in her own hand (or provide her thumb print) if she wishes to apply for PR. Make sure the form is completely filled out before she signs, except for the answer to "Applying for PR with you?" on page 4. She then would answer that last remaining question by ticking the Yes box if she's applying, then sign the fully completed form. Then make a photocopy of the complete form and give her one. If she doesn't wish to sign you check No and submit the form without her signature or thumb print.

Technically you can apply for PR on behalf of your child without your wife's permission, but I don't recommend that. I recommend you not include your child unless you both agree. Choose "Yes" or "No" on page 5 (top right) depending on what you both agree. If you can't agree, I recommend letting your wife's decision stand as the final word.
i will personally fly over to retrieve their original documents but they do not have to be there during the appointment right?
That's correct.

i have spoken to wife the other day and she is okay with it. i was told by someone that i am not allowed to apply for PR with my wife and child if they are overseas and are not holding any type of work pass or visitor pass that's why i decided to ask you here. So since they can apply, that will be great.

just curious, do you think my wife is allowed to courier (Fedex or DHL) her passport and my child's passport to Singapore? on top of the original documents.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 6:03 pm

chanwaip wrote:i was told by someone that i am not allowed to apply for PR with my wife and child if they are overseas and are not holding any type of work pass or visitor pass that's why i decided to ask you here. So since they can apply, that will be great.
I didn't quite say that. I said you can try, and I don't see anything in the instructions that obviously precludes their applying. But the ICA officer has the option to re-mark your form at your appointment to exclude your overseas wife and child if the officer doesn't want to accept their applications. Or the ICA officer might ask you to resubmit a corrected form with changes to pages 4, 5, and 7 to exclude your wife and child from the application. If you're concerned about that you can keep "backup" copies of pages 4, 5, and 7 in a different folder, ready for submission and marked "No" to the "applying with you" questions (and not signed by your wife). However, if you do that, I would not attempt to present that second form until after you physically walk away from the counter then, after several minutes, walk back.

You can also ask ICA ahead of your appointment. They have an e-mail address posted on their Web site, and they seem to be pretty good about responding. Try something like this: "I am living and working in Singapore, and I have an upcoming appointment at ICA to apply for PR under the PTS Scheme. My wife and child are currently residents of Malaysia, but my wife would like to apply for PR with me, and we would also like to include our child in the application. Will ICA accept PR applications from my nonresident wife and child as part of my PR application?"
just curious, do you think my wife is allowed to courier (Fedex or DHL) her passport and my child's passport to Singapore? on top of the original documents.
Sure, I don't see why not.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 8:40 pm

BBCWatcher wrote: I didn't quite say that. I said you can try,
Good example of what I was talking about, the readers only seeing what they WANT to see, forget what is actually written.

However, one of our former regulars, Saint, before the GE2011 debacle, Applied for PR from the UK where he and his Singaporean wife were living. She wasn't working and he worked in Marine Insurance. He was granted an AIP and they had to fly to Singapore for him to complete the formalities.

However, I haven't heard of any PR successfully applying for PR for a non-resident spouse & child in recent years. The only exception I know about was back in the days before the LPR scheme was suspended. "Landed PR" was very popular with Indonesian Chinese. They were pre-vetted and given the green light to come to Singapore and take up a job (didn't have to be in their profession either) and they were automatically accorded LPR which included the family if married with children (not extended family however). I hired more than a couple of them back in 2005/2006. The program was suspended in June of 2011 immediately following the 2011GE
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chanwaip

Post by chanwaip » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:22 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
chanwaip wrote:i was told by someone that i am not allowed to apply for PR with my wife and child if they are overseas and are not holding any type of work pass or visitor pass that's why i decided to ask you here. So since they can apply, that will be great.
I didn't quite say that. I said you can try, and I don't see anything in the instructions that obviously precludes their applying. But the ICA officer has the option to re-mark your form at your appointment to exclude your overseas wife and child if the officer doesn't want to accept their applications. Or the ICA officer might ask you to resubmit a corrected form with changes to pages 4, 5, and 7 to exclude your wife and child from the application. If you're concerned about that you can keep "backup" copies of pages 4, 5, and 7 in a different folder, ready for submission and marked "No" to the "applying with you" questions (and not signed by your wife). However, if you do that, I would not attempt to present that second form until after you physically walk away from the counter then, after several minutes, walk back.

You can also ask ICA ahead of your appointment. They have an e-mail address posted on their Web site, and they seem to be pretty good about responding. Try something like this: "I am living and working in Singapore, and I have an upcoming appointment at ICA to apply for PR under the PTS Scheme. My wife and child are currently residents of Malaysia, but my wife would like to apply for PR with me, and we would also like to include our child in the application. Will ICA accept PR applications from my nonresident wife and child as part of my PR application?"
Sure, I don't see why not.

can i check that on Part B of the application form, the wife has to sign or the main applicant (me)?

thanks

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:30 pm

chanwaip wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:
chanwaip wrote: can i check that on Part B of the application form, the wife has to sign or the main applicant (me)?

thanks
All the pages in the form has Signature of Applicant. If I am not wrong, it has to be yourself, because in Part B - heading- it says "Particulars Of Applicant's Spouse".

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:35 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
chanwaip wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:
All the pages in the form has Signature of Applicant. If I am not wrong, it has to be yourself as you are the applicant, because in Part B - heading- it clearly says "Particulars Of Applicant's Spouse".
Part C - Children's Information - Has signature of Applicant.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 1:02 pm

If you cannot understand O level English, maybe you shouldn't be applying? :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers