Singapore Expats

Will studying in Singapore help me getting a PR status?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Just1Time

Will studying in Singapore help me getting a PR status?

Post by Just1Time » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:22 am

Hi,
I was wondering if getting a bachelor degree in a Singaporean university can help me get a PR or at least an open work permit after I graduate. I couldn't find any information about it online.

Thanks.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Will studying in Singapore help me getting a PR status?

Post by bgd » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:35 am

Search through the forums here. I think once that was the case but don't think it is now. I recall a number of grads having to leave because they couldn't get work permits. Some weren't even able to meet their length of stay requirements due to this.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:35 am

Just1Time wrote:Hi,
I was wondering if getting a bachelor degree in a Singaporean university can help me get a PR or at least an open work permit after I graduate. I couldn't find any information about it online.

Thanks.
2x NO

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:39 am

#nomeansno
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:53 am

Just1Time wrote:Hi,

Thanks.
Are you studying in NUS or planning to study in NUS depending upon the chance of getting PR ? :-k :-k

Well, years ago, Graduates in NUS and NTU were invited to become PR. That was stopped, unless you are exceptionally talented ...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 1:05 pm

No. Thing of the past.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Post by dynoto » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 1:55 pm

Hi, graduate from Poly here.
Based on personal observation, some of my friends who studied in government institutions (polytechnics or uni SMU NTU NUS) receive PR invitations, all of those recipients are under some form of grant / scholarship.
none of my friends who study in private unis receive invitations.

as for applying for PR when they enter the workforce i'm not sure if government study grants (those that require you to work for X years after graduation) have any bearing or whatsoever on the outcome, though most of my friends who got approved under PTS came from said gov tertiary institutions.

i am one of those people who thought so when entering poly in 2008, but it seems that the f̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ GE2011 changed everything

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 3:22 pm

I agree with the posters upthread: there doesn't appear to be any inherent advantage nowadays. No additional points awarded, and no points subtracted. However, to elaborate a bit, it's still true that getting a degree in Singapore means it's somewhat more likely you'll stay in Singapore, become a member of the foreign workforce, and live in Singapore (or marry a Singaporean or PR). That'll probably remain true at least until teleportation is invented and becomes popular. ;)

Obviously foreign workers living in Singapore, and spouses of citizens/PRs, are more likely to become Singapore PRs than foreigners living outside Singapore, other things being equal. In short, living in Singapore is living in Singapore, and living in Singapore puts you into a better position for PR as a separate matter. But there are many routes into Singapore to live.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Will studying in Singapore help me getting a PR status?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 5:13 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:I agree with the posters upthread: there doesn't appear to be any inherent advantage nowadays. No additional points awarded, and no points subtracted. However, to elaborate a bit, it's still true that getting a degree in Singapore means it's somewhat more likely you'll stay in Singapore, become a member of the foreign workforce, and live in Singapore (or marry a Singaporean or PR). That'll probably remain true at least until teleportation is invented and becomes popular. ;)

Obviously foreign workers living in Singapore, and spouses of citizens/PRs, are more likely to become Singapore PRs than foreigners living outside Singapore, other things being equal. In short, living in Singapore is living in Singapore, and living in Singapore puts you into a better position for PR as a separate matter. But there are many routes into Singapore to live.
So, in summary, studying in Singapore does give you a very big advantage for PR ? I am lost there now ....

As I am lost most of the times ...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 5:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:I agree with the posters upthread: there doesn't appear to be any inherent advantage nowadays. No additional points awarded, and no points subtracted. However, to elaborate a bit, it's still true that getting a degree in Singapore means it's somewhat more likely you'll stay in Singapore, become a member of the foreign workforce, and live in Singapore (or marry a Singaporean or PR). That'll probably remain true at least until teleportation is invented and becomes popular. ;)

So, in summary, studying in Singapore does give you a very big advantage for PR ? I am lost there now ....

As I am lost most of the times ...
It gives you similar advantage as being a female or a male as PR is only granted to females and males. Also similar advantage is associated with passport holders.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Will studying in Singapore help me getting a PR status?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 5:19 pm

x9200 wrote: It gives you similar advantage as being a female or a male as PR is only granted to females and males.
That makes sense :)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 8:24 pm

If you live in Romania, you're unlikely to be granted Singapore PR status. If you live in Singapore, you're more likely to be granted Singapore PR status.

The only way to *start* living in Singapore is to actually come to Singapore. That could be for any legal reason. Getting a university degree in Singapore is one example. But so is getting a degree from Harvard and then coming to Singapore to work as a biochemist.

Got it?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 8:33 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:If you live in Romania, you're unlikely to be granted Singapore PR status. If you live in Singapore, you're more likely to be granted Singapore PR status.

The only way to *start* living in Singapore is to actually come to Singapore. That could be for any legal reason. Getting a university degree in Singapore is one example. But so is getting a degree from Harvard and then coming to Singapore to work as a biochemist.

Got it?
It's actually the other way around. People who are more likely to get a PR live in Singapore, but just for the fact of living in Singapore nobody is going to grant them PR. More-over, there are known scenarios allowing to get PR while living outside Singapore, but for the basic fact of living here nobody yet gained a PR. You follow?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:07 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:If you live in Romania, you're unlikely to be granted Singapore PR status.
Funny you should mention Romania, as I know a Romanian who became PR while not living here. True storyImage

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:57 pm

I'd just like to know why PR in Romania is important in this particular thread in the first place?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers