Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore with pets

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
seattlemaja1

Moving to Singapore with pets

Post by seattlemaja1 » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 4:33 am

Hi,

we're relocating to Singapore from the US and hope to bring our dog along (she's a big lab). Are there any off-leash parks in Singapore? Can anyone share their experience owning a big dog in Singapore?

thanks!
m

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Moving to Singapore with pets

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 8:11 am

seattlemaja1 wrote:Hi,

we're relocating to Singapore from the US and hope to bring our dog along (she's a big lab). Are there any off-leash parks in Singapore? Can anyone share their experience owning a big dog in Singapore?

thanks!
m
Big dogs can never be off leash, or so I am sure. However gentle the dog maybe.

There were few threads here about dogs.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Moving to Singapore with pets

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 8:41 am

Not quite true, squirrel....

Official Dog Runs @ April 2014

Bishan Park Dog Run
Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1
Managed by nparks, this large, fenced dog run is located right within the picturesque Bishan Park, and gets very busy on the weekends. There is a fenced area especially designated for bigger dogs, too.

Katong Park Dog Run
Marine Parade, Junction of Fort and Meyer Road
This dog run is small, fenced and has some agility facilities.

West Coast Dog Run
Pasir Panjang Road
Located at West Coast park, this dog run is open to the public at all times with no defined operating hours. Certain large breeds are told to remain muzzled at all times and kept on leash. Bio-degradable poo bags are provided, plus water is available on tap for filling up bowls.

Jurong Lake Park
Open 24/7, but reportedly poorly lit during the evenings, so a daytime visit is best. Also, factor in the fact that there's a pretty long trot from the car park to the green area itself.

K9 Kulture
100 Turf Club Road
If you want to go all-out for your wee pal, K9 Kulture is some sort of doggie paradise. There’s a free swimming pool for pups, a dog-run and heaps of space, while you can pay for training sessions, grooming, day care and more. There’s also a diner for humans and animals alike, perfect for enjoying a tea while your mutt passes out after all the excitement.

Pet Mover's Dog Run
4 Pasir Ris Farmway
This free-to-use pet run boasts pesticide free grass, a dog wading pool and a bathing area with free shampoo. There's also a cafe for you to hang out at while watching your pets play. There's a special fenced-off area for smaller dogs, while certain large breeds must be muzzled.

The Animal Resort off-leash park
T81 Seletar West Farmway 5
This massive resort (set across two hectares!) has a free-to-use dog run, as well as a pet hotel, shop and a grooming school. The dog run itself has plenty of agility facilities and seating for owners.

The thing to remember is while large dogs are welcome at some of the runs, certain breeds will have to be muzzled. If you are okay with that (and your dog), then while not a whole lot, there are facilities for larger dogs as well. Labs and Golden Retrievers are especially popular with the landed property owners here due to their easy-going nature, but generally speaking the average Singaporean is afraid of large dogs, and black large dogs especially. Also you have the other risk of an exuberant friendly dogs running up to and slobbering on a Malay/Muslim which is haram (forbidden) for them. This is the primary reason for the leashing of a lot of dogs aside from the danger/fear of the dogs biting someone.

http://www.runsociety.com/2015/01/02/do ... t-run-too/ (has maps of the locations as well)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 9:29 am

Also Tanjong beach at Sentosa (officially not an off leash but the mutts are everywhere without a lease).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 9:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not quite true, squirrel....
Interesting to know that ...

But I thought Labs are considered "LARGE" and must be muzzled at all times in public, if not leashed.

Let me look up the AVA site for that :p

PNGMK, well, in East Coast too I have seen guys jogging with large Labs off leash .. and then you see tiny dogs on leash (maybe the owners of the tiny dogs are more worried about the dog being stolen ? )

I always wondered who enforces these leash rules ? Or is it only in case of a complaint ?

seattlemaja1

Post by seattlemaja1 » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 12:09 pm

thanks so much for your comments - very helpful and insightful!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 1:33 pm

seattlemaja1 wrote:thanks so much for your comments - very helpful and insightful!
Labs are not in the restricted breed !! Smooth sailing there .. I had my doubt but wanted to confirm that.

if you have time, do read here ..
http://www.ava.gov.sg/explore-by-sectio ... sing-a-pet

Extracted, For your info :

Part I
1. Pit Bull, which includes the American Pit Bull Terrier (which is also known as the American Pit Bull and Pit Bull Terrier), American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, and crosses between them and other breeds
2. Akita
3. Neapolitan Mastiff
4. Tosa
5. Dogo Argentino
6. Fila Brasileiro
7. Boerboe
8. Perro De Presa Canario (moved from Part II to Part 1 wef 15 Nov 2010)
9. Crosses of 1 to 8.

Part II
1. Bull Terrier
2. Doberman Pinscher
3. Rottweiler
4. German Shepherd Dog with its related breeds such as the Belgian Shepherd Dog and the East European Shepherd Dog
5. Mastiffs, including the Bull Mastiff, Cane Corso and Dogue De Bordeaux
6. Crosses of 1 to 5.

Part I Scheduled Dogs
1. Dogs must be leashed and securely muzzled when in a public place
2. Dogs must be microchipped
3. Dogs must be sterilised if over six months of age
4. The owner must take up an insurance policy for a t least $100,000 coverage against injury to persons and damage to property
5. The owner must take up banker’s guarantee of $5,000
6. Any existing banker’s guarantee would be forfeited for non-compliance and the owner must take up a fresh banker’s guarantee of $5,000.
7. Newly licensed dogs must undergo obedience training (Note : With effect from 15 Nov 2010, the existing 22 licensed Perro de Presa Canario will be moved from Part II to Part I of the Schedule. There are no other Part I dogs in Singapore.)

Part 2 Scheduled Dogs
1. Dogs must be leashed and securely muzzled when in a public place
2. All existing and newly licensed dogs must be microchipped
3. Newly licensed dogs must undergo obedience training
4. Owner of newly licensed dog must take up an insurance policy for at least $100,000 coverage against injury to persons and damage to property
5. The owner of newly licensed dog must take up banker’s guarantee of $2,000
6. Any existing banker’s guarantee would be forfeited for non-compliance and the owner must take up a fresh banker’s guarantee of $2,000

All Dogs
1. Dogs must be leashed when in a public place
2. Any dog that has initiated an unprovoked attack and caused injury to a person or animal, depending on the severity of the injury, would be subject to one or more of the following control measures:
a) The dog must be leashed and securely muzzled when in a public place
b) The dog must be microchipped
c) The dog must undergo obedience training
d) Premises must be secured to prevent the escape of the dog
e) The owner must take up an insurance policy for at least $100,000 coverage against injury to persons and damage to property
f) The owner must take up banker’s guarantee of $2,000. Any existing banker’s guarantee would be forfeited for non-compliance and the owner must take up a fresh banker’s guarantee of $2,000

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 2:16 pm

Ahhhhhh, now we have BBCJr. :lol:

OP's question was about leashing, not muzzling. Following in the great one's footsteps to the 't'. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 2:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ahhhhhh, now we have BBCJr. :lol:

OP's question was about leashing, not muzzling. Following in the great one's footsteps to the 't'. ;-)
Nah, nobody can reach "that" level :D

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 3:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not quite true, squirrel....
Interesting to know that ...

But I thought Labs are considered "LARGE" and must be muzzled at all times in public, if not leashed.

Let me look up the AVA site for that :p

PNGMK, well, in East Coast too I have seen guys jogging with large Labs off leash .. and then you see tiny dogs on leash (maybe the owners of the tiny dogs are more worried about the dog being stolen ? )

I always wondered who enforces these leash rules ? Or is it only in case of a complaint ?

Small dogs have been snatched by pythons before....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 3:47 pm

And there are a number of those larger long critters around. I reckon the Changi area also has some pretty big monitor lizards who wouldn't mind the odd dainty morsel, with the yapping sounds, now and again. ;-)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 4:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:And there are a number of those larger long critters around. I reckon the Changi area also has some pretty big monitor lizards who wouldn't mind the odd dainty morsel, with the yapping sounds, now and again. ;-)
Ever lost any to them SMS, when you were in the 'jungle' area ? :D

Seen a Monitor lizard gobbling up a pigeon, never figured it out if the pigeon was dead or caught by the Lizard ..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 5:53 pm

I know that monitor lizards (or at least one of them) was quite fond of ducks and would sneak up under them at one of the ponds on the old Seletar Base Golf course and grab 'em and drag 'em under for a snack. It was interesting because eventually all the ducks disappeared and for a while it was a toss up who was eating more duck, the monitor lizard (about 4.5 feet long) or the 3+ foot Snakehead that also resided in the same pond, courtesy of a local resident who found out that snakeheads will outgrow a fishtank. My collie/GS mix almost came to blows over her food dish early one morning around 3 am with a 6 footer who we subsequently learn lived in the monsoon drain behind the concrete culvert pipe under the driveway (regular cave behind the pipe) but the dog couldn't get close to the lizard due to the tail which is half the lizard total length. We eventually caught it the subsequent night when it tried the same trick again. The zoo got another resident. There were some smaller stray dogs that disappeared in the area but never gave it a thought at the time - guess they could have become dinner. While Monitors are carrion eaters generally, the fact that they also have the ability to climb trees, and have talons like an eagle makes them dangerous predators (and the can move pretty rapidly for short distances) that will eat just about anything it can catch.

jareales

Post by jareales » Thu, 31 Mar 2016 3:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I am moving to Singapore in May and I have a French Bulldog, I am thinking to bring with me or not, maybe when I come back to Spain I can take her and bring with me to SG (on Christmas)

How is the life for a dog there?

Does anybody a dog and can relate their experience?

Is difficult to find an apartment/room that allows pets?

Thank you in advance