Singapore Expats

need some advice for PR/ SC application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
snoppy_010101

need some advice for PR/ SC application

Post by snoppy_010101 » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 3:52 pm

Hi,

just received a letter from ICA about the unsuccessful of the Citizen application for me and my kids (without my hubby) after waiting for 10 months. some info about myself:

- chinese malaysian with 2 kids (1 boy and 1 girl)
- as a sponsor of my hubby to get the PR which is 3 years ago, but my kids currently living in Malaysia - Johor, not even a PR
- working in SG around 15 years, obtained PR since 2008
- working in an MNC for 5 years
- monthly salary 4k
- didn't own any property in SG

seriously i really don't know what is the main reason that application has been denied. maybe govt is encouraging for whole family to apply it or my kids have to be a PR before becoming a citizen.

now have to apply the PR for my kids as planned to study in SG. can someone pls advice me about the chance to get the approval?

thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: need some advice for PR/ SC application

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 4:15 pm

You were probably rejected for two reasons, 1) not applying as a whole family; and 2) the children not even living in Singapore. They have to go through the proper steps and become PRs first. ICA looks strangely as applications which do not include whole families especially when both parents are PRs
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 3:52 pm

I apologize for kind of hijacking this thread....but I am curious.

I am hearing of many Malaysians who are Singapore PR's(mainly those living in JB) applying for PR for their children, mainly for getting a place in local schools here......all while residing in JB !

I asked one of them, who do you even apply when you don't even live in SG and not having an address, the answer I get is, oh my sister in law is a PR and lives in Singapore.

Now, the SG govt is known to be very thorough so how do some of these people get away with this and pulling the wools over the govt eyes ? It's basically lying in your application.

Or this is a unique situation to Malaysians ?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 4:14 pm

Siv wrote:Now, the SG govt is known to be very thorough so how do some of these people get away with this and pulling the wools over the govt eyes ? It's basically lying in your application.
That's one possibility. Adoption is another, and that usually is legal. The Straits Times published an interesting article on adoption a couple months ago. Singaporeans can adopt Malaysian children, but adoption is rare in Singapore. According to that article there were only 352 adoptions in 2014, although that might be the total number of adoptions of foreign children, excluding purely domestic adoptions. Some of the foreign adoptions involved Malaysian children specifically.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 10:46 pm

BBC - there are roughly 400 adoptions of Singapore born children alone per year if I recall the stats we were told when we adopted. MOST of them are inter-family.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 11:49 am

OK, thanks. That doesn't strike me as a big number -- about 750 total in a country of about 5.5 million. That yields a population to adoption ratio of about 7333:1.

I found the total U.S. number for 2008 for comparison: 136,000 (approximate). That yields a population to adoption ratio of about 2316:1. Roughly speaking the U.S. has about three times as many adoptions per capita as Singapore.

I wonder why there's such a big difference? It's very interesting.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 12:31 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:I found the total U.S. number for 2008 for comparison: 136,000 (approximate). That yields a population to adoption ratio of about 2316:1. Roughly speaking the U.S. has about three times as many adoptions per capita as Singapore.

All those gay folks in the USA adopting kids to 'convert' them?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 1:16 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:OK, thanks. That doesn't strike me as a big number -- about 750 total in a country of about 5.5 million. That yields a population to adoption ratio of about 7333:1.

I found the total U.S. number for 2008 for comparison: 136,000 (approximate). That yields a population to adoption ratio of about 2316:1. Roughly speaking the U.S. has about three times as many adoptions per capita as Singapore.

To me, it's easily explained. (might not be factual, but I'm sure you'll have the facts soon enough ;-) )

In Singapore, two things come to mind. The mememe generation who don't want any children at all (for various excuses/reasons, from it limits our time for holidaying, to we can't throw them in a kennel or abandon them like we do with dogs, to it's too expensive to raise a kid. Basically self-centered greed.

The other reason is, I believe, it's much harder to adopt in Singapore than in the US. PNGMK would have more information than anybody else on this forum about that, I suppose, as he's one who has successfully adopted here. Additionally there are some old threads about the problems of adoptions here from around 6 or 7 years ago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 5:02 pm

The birth rate is much lower in Singapore also, so that ought to have some impact. But a roughly 3X difference strikes me as quite a lot.

As another point of comparison, according to this article only 309 children were adopted in Japan in 2010. Japan's population is roughly 120 million, so if accurate that's an extremely low adoption rate, much lower than Singapore's.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 5:40 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the rules here are extremely narrow and somewhat bigoted because of Malay/Muslim sensitivities thanks to the Maria Hertogh Riots of 1950 where 18 were killed during the riots. So there seems to be a lot of weight thrown around when it comes to ethnic religions and so forth. As I've never been inclined to adopt I haven't looked into it but PNGMK has. That article on Japan, to me, indicates it would be much higher except for the fact that apparently the natural parent(s) cannot fully divest themselves of rights to the children. But, unlike other countries, adoption of adults is relatively common. I didn't even realize one could legally adopt another adult. Interesting.

kenreally

Post by kenreally » Sun, 06 Mar 2016 12:04 am

snoppy_010101, if your husband is not the natural father, both of you should apply first to adopt the children. PR application after successful adoption will likely succeed on account of both of you being PRs. Adoption usually requires the natural father's consent or adequate reason for why consent cannot be obtained.