Singapore Expats

Standard turnaround time for interview feedback?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
swedswiss

Standard turnaround time for interview feedback?

Post by swedswiss » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 1:32 pm

Hi there,

Last month, I had 3 rounds of interviews (I hold a Ph.D. in molecular sciences) all conducted via Skype. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what the standard turnaround time for interviews is, please? Obviously, this will be different from company to company but is 4 weeks standard or too long?

I have been waiting for almost 4 weeks now & emailed them once in this time. They replied that they have submitted my name to the Managing Director, and he is looking into the matter (This happened around the last week of January).

I am thinking about sending another email to know exactly where I am in the hiring process, and to get a definitive timeline. However, I am wondering if chasing is considered rude?

I appreciate constructive feedback, and I'd prefer to get a no & reason why, as opposed to a 'we'll get back to you' & then never get back to me.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Standard turnaround time for interview feedback?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 1:36 pm

swedswiss wrote:Hi there,

Last month, I had 3 rounds of interviews (I hold a Ph.D. in molecular sciences) all conducted via Skype. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what the standard turnaround time for interviews is, please? Obviously, this will be different from company to company but is 4 weeks standard or too long?

I have been waiting for almost 4 weeks now & emailed them once in this time. They replied that they have submitted my name to the Managing Director, and he is looking into the matter (This happened around the last week of January).

I am thinking about sending another email to know exactly where I am in the hiring process, and to get a definitive timeline. However, I am wondering if chasing is considered rude?

I appreciate constructive feedback, and I'd prefer to get a no & reason why, as opposed to a 'we'll get back to you' & then never get back to me.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If this is a government post, expect to wait longer, before they finalise and confirm.

Chasing the HR generally is not good, unless your profile is visible to the big bosses ;) Especially if the HR is Asians, it is considering kiasu ..

If the HR / folks you deal with didn't seem so Asian - a follow up would definitely work.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 1:45 pm

You might wait for a reply from x-9200 on something like that as I would assume you approached or were approached by A-Star or a similar Government linked organization. He has a very close association with those types of organizations so could probably speak your language better than us 'normal' types. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

swedswiss

Post by swedswiss » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 2:13 pm

Hi, Guys!! Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated :)

I get that there is a cultural difference and one shouldn't interpret anything based on his/her own experiences. That is why I am here asking for some clarity on the matter.

In the short term - I will wait for their reply. But, let's say if it is going to take even more time (like no reply until the end of this month/early next month), should I then send them an e-mail and ask for a feedback?

And, just for the record sake - This is for a position in a private organization :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 2:32 pm

swedswiss wrote:Hi, Guys!! Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated :)
By the way Chinese new year just went by, and most of the HR Crew, if they are Malaysians, they would still not have come back to work - as they may go on 2 weeks or so of leave !

Give it some time.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 3:25 pm

swedswiss wrote:Hi, Guys!! Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated :)

I get that there is a cultural difference and one shouldn't interpret anything based on his/her own experiences. That is why I am here asking for some clarity on the matter.

In the short term - I will wait for their reply. But, let's say if it is going to take even more time (like no reply until the end of this month/early next month), should I then send them an e-mail and ask for a feedback?

And, just for the record sake - This is for a position in a private organization :)
Hey, they responded, you should feel privileged!
Private or not, if you want to (try to) accelerate the things always talk to your direct boss to be, not the HR. Unless you don't know the boss. In this case you are doomed to wait. 4 weeks with the CNY in the middle sounds like nothing. Yes, I am serious. When you call (whoever you call) and they have no answer, ask when it would be good time for you to call again. If they say, they would call you back, say you prefer to call them (for whatever reason, e.g. you are travelling). This way you are in control of their failure to respond and have a reason to call them repeatedly.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks x9200. He replied with the additional information re: private company about 20 minutes or so after I sent you the PM. :-/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

RoastBeefBaron

Post by RoastBeefBaron » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 6:12 pm

The whole recruitment process tends to take a lot, lot longer in Singapore than it does in the West. Not sure why, although the fact that most senior managers are either based overseas or travel a lot may be part of it. Therefore, be patient.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 8:27 pm

Now there is a nick I haven't seen in quite some time. Been lurking, Baron? ;-)

RoastBeefBaron

Post by RoastBeefBaron » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 8:36 pm

Yes indeed, the Baron observes from the skies :-)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:39 am

Generally they get back in 2 weeks. I have had an instance where they didnt get back to me for a month, where they kept me as a back up just in case their 1st choice candidate doesnt join and as soon as that candidate joined they informed me that they have selected another person and he has joined :( All the while they kept telling me they are still evaluating. This is that 3 letter Australian bank. I hate that bank after that, although I still love their credit card :)

But there can be other reasons too. Budget issues, approval issues,restructuring is going on so freeze, a new director is about to join so they are waiting until he comes on board until then all hiring is freeze etc etc

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:10 am

Consider this: It is never in HRs interests to tell you that you didn't get the job.

Firstly, if they are considering other candidates too, the best you will ever get is a "we're still evaluating" or similar. Or the even more vague "we'll be in touch with the next steps".

Secondly, if they tell you that you didn't get that job, they've closed the door on you. If there is even the slightest chance that they may employ you for this or another role in the future, why would they close the door?

Thirdly, how does it benefit them to tell you *why* you didn't get the job? All that does it make sure you answer those questions correctly the next time, and they are not in the business of coaching people to get the roles they are offering.

There is a reason for the expression "Only successful candidates will be notified" and yes, that means even after three interviews.

As others have mentioned, 4 weeks is not long over CNY. However, if the decision hasn't been made in a couple of weeks you're probably not the top priority.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 11:29 am

On the flip side, I try to be courteous and professional in withdrawing my application when I can no longer accept a position if one is offered. I've done that on a couple of occasions, and on one of those occasions the prospective employer was quite upset since I was their #1 candidate, so much so that they didn't even have a #2. However, I was quite clear up front about how long I could wait for their decision, and I do not bluff. I had a real deadline I had no power to change, and they simply didn't meet the deadline. I was trying to do them a favor, so they wouldn't waste any more time, and (eventually) they appreciated that favor. So even if a prospective employer might not want to declare "no," you still can, politely of course.

Proceed with your life, in other words. You cannot wait for a prospective employer forever.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:40 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:Consider this: It is never in HRs interests to tell you that you didn't get the job.

Firstly, if they are considering other candidates too, the best you will ever get is a "we're still evaluating" or similar. Or the even more vague "we'll be in touch with the next steps".

Secondly, if they tell you that you didn't get that job, they've closed the door on you. If there is even the slightest chance that they may employ you for this or another role in the future, why would they close the door?

Thirdly, how does it benefit them to tell you *why* you didn't get the job? All that does it make sure you answer those questions correctly the next time, and they are not in the business of coaching people to get the roles they are offering.

There is a reason for the expression "Only successful candidates will be notified" and yes, that means even after three interviews.

As others have mentioned, 4 weeks is not long over CNY. However, if the decision hasn't been made in a couple of weeks you're probably not the top priority.
All above, big yes, providing the HR is somehow professional. My experience, esp. with corporate/MNC HRs in SIngapore is that they are often not. It is not like they try to help the respective dept to bring over the best people. They just follow some bureaucratic SOP and nothing more, or actually work against the employment of a good candidate trying to win some here and there cutting down the salary / perks.
That's why I suggested to contact the boss to be because this is the person who really needs the employee.

swedswiss

Post by swedswiss » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 5:33 pm

RoastBeefBaron wrote:The whole recruitment process tends to take a lot, lot longer in Singapore than it does in the West. Not sure why, although the fact that most senior managers are either based overseas or travel a lot may be part of it. Therefore, be patient.

Yes, Patience is the key. But if it is going to take far too long, and other developments happen simultaneously, then I guess it is better to ask them out.