Singapore Expats

Salary Details Publicised

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Salary Details Publicised

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Feb 2016 9:23 pm

PNGMK wrote:Nosey Stinkaporean: Hey you ah, what your bonus? Got increment?

Casual Expat; No freaking clue mate; I don't bother looking at my payslips.

Cue meltdown in Stinkaporean's mind.
I had a newly joined colleague who didn't know his pay was not credited, almost till next pay cycle. The natives were amazed that a guy can go a month without pay ... the guy was like "most payment is cashless so I didn't realise .. .. "

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Salary Details Publicised

Post by the lynx » Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:05 pm

Well isn't it a normal thing NOT to tell everyone your salary?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:52 pm

In most of the world, yes. But this isn't most of the world. It's the Little Red Dot, where every auntie thinks they have a right to know even what colour and fabric yer knickers are, or if wearing any. I've never heard such personal questions from aunties here anywhere else in the world. I don't think people do too much sharing outside, but within a company, it's usually rampant even though the mgmt doesn't want it as such.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:53 pm

the lynx wrote:Well isn't it a normal thing NOT to tell everyone your salary?
well, for some 'expats', when there is a gathering, the most important discussion points are 1) Salary, 2) conversion rate for remittance and 3) How big the house is .. :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Feb 2016 1:03 pm

Yeah, but always in oblique terms. Let's the listener give themselves as much or as little credence to it as they desire.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 16 Feb 2016 2:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
well, for some 'expats', when there is a gathering, the most important discussion points are 1) Salary, 2) conversion rate for remittance and 3) How big the house is .. :D
Who are these "expats" of which you speak , are they all of a certain persuasion?

I havent had the 1-3 you have brought up once in 8 yrs here.

Then I am not "expat" in the way "expats" probably consider themselves.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 Feb 2016 2:17 pm

Barnsley wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Who are these "expats" of which you speak , are they all of a certain persuasion?

It's about the company you keep :D

Unrelated, now you have a glimpse of the after hours company I do keep, I guess :P

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 16 Feb 2016 8:52 pm

Barnsley wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Indians :)
Cue: Ecureilx used the word remittance. For some reason I hear the word remittance associated with South Asian, Filipino migrant workers transferring money home. I know its stereotyping, but I have never heard whites use the word "Remit" when they transfer money home.

Also, SMS, Indians too are just as nosey as the Singaporeans when it comes to knowing salary. So I guess its an Asian thing. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 16 Feb 2016 9:06 pm

Wd40 wrote: Cue: Ecureilx used the word remittance. For some reason I hear the word remittance associated with South Asian, Filipino migrant workers transferring money home. I know its stereotyping, but I have never heard whites use the word "Remit" when they transfer money home.
It has that quaint archaic and old-Empire sound about it. You can imagine a dusty clerks office with a gentleman surrounded by huge piles of documents and 200 various rubber stamps. You know, like a typical railway reservation office in India... ;)

FWIW for small sums I 'transfer' it. It's different for significantly larger sums where (in my terminology) I 'wire' it.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 9:02 am

Wd40 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Indians :)
Cue: Ecureilx used the word remittance. For some reason I hear the word remittance associated with South Asian, Filipino migrant workers transferring money home. I know its stereotyping, but I have never heard whites use the word "Remit" when they transfer money home.

Also, SMS, Indians too are just as nosey as the Singaporeans when it comes to knowing salary. So I guess its an Asian thing. :)
Yup Asian thing. I have seen this question asked to me in MY, SG, PH, TH, CN, etc. The only country that doesn't seem to do that is Japan - which is not a surprise.