Singapore Expats

Applying for Citizenship - eSC vs In-person at ICA?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Applying for Citizenship - eSC vs In-person at ICA?

Post by amarettoSour » Tue, 10 Nov 2015 5:36 pm

Hey guys,

Does it matter whether I apply via eSC or In person in ICA? in the eSC web form, they seem to be asking more details (mainly in the Employment section where they asked for Company's Paid Up capita and annual turnover for past 3 years).

I have decided I will be applying for Singapore Citizenship next year and just doing my research early. Feeling quite nostalgic as this forum has seen me from my very first EP application, to PR and now hopefully citizenship.

My profile:
30, female, single
PR since February 2014
Race: Indonesian Chinese (though my IC says just Chinese)
Salary: 75,000+
Education: Bachelors of Science from a recognized university in the states
Years in Singapore: 6 years
Profession: Web Designer

Thanks
Last edited by amarettoSour on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Applying for Citizenship - eSC vs In-person at ICA?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Nov 2015 6:25 pm

I wasn't aware that you could still apply in person, initially. And yeah, it's been a while and we've watched virtually every step of the way. Sounds like you've assimilated rather well. ;-)

Remember, they are only asking for 4 numbers. If they want more than that they will ask for it or just go to ACRA & IRAS to see the taxes and other details/shareholdings, etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Wed, 11 Nov 2015 1:15 pm

oh! so eSC is the only way to apply these days? got confused bc at this page you can still download the regular form, so I thought it was one or the other.. also the page referred to eSC as "additional mode of application"
http://www.ica.gov.sg/e_services_overvi ... pageid=295

The form looks the same as eSC aside of the employment numbers above
http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... m_SCRA.pdf

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Nov 2015 1:22 pm

I just said I wasn't aware of it. I didn't mean you couldn't do it. I just figured it was like everything else connected with IRAS, MOM & ICA. Seems the only way is eSomething. If it has both choose your poison. Probably manual submission would be better if you are needing to make a point. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Wed, 11 Nov 2015 2:17 pm

fill up the application form, prepare all documents, walk in ICA level 6, take queue number under first submission, officer will assess your eligibility, once you eligible to apply, they will give you interview date, i overheard just now when i was there, earlier appointment date April 2016.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Thu, 12 Nov 2015 12:54 pm

Woah. My parents applied last year for SC by walk in. Like you said, take queue number and they call you up, they check your documents and tell you if you are eligible. If you are, you wait for a while and they interview on the day itself. The interview is basically cross checking your documents and and stuff. Wasn't aware that the interview date can be so late.

imroot

Post by imroot » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:44 am

Sp1d3rMan wrote:fill up the application form, prepare all documents, walk in ICA level 6, take queue number under first submission, officer will assess your eligibility, once you eligible to apply, they will give you interview date, i overheard just now when i was there, earlier appointment date April 2016.
I applied 6 months ago and it was a walk-in. Reached at 8 am. The first officer checked the form (for a minute or so) and asked me & wife to come back at 12. At 12, we were asked to go to a counter where another officer did a thorough check of the forms and other documents (that was the interview, no real interview questions asked). We were then asked to go to a third counter to make the payment and that was it. Now waiting for the outcome.
However I did notice some of the other applicants ahead of us were asked to come back on a later date for interview. So I guess it is on a case to case basis.

rachies

Post by rachies » Sun, 22 Nov 2015 3:36 pm

Hi imroot,
Thanks for sharing! May I know if you've gotten the outcome? 6mths is quite long isn't it?
Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Nov 2015 4:05 pm

Actually, 6 months is quite short, the average in recent years has been 12 to 18 with 24 months not unheard of either.

It's the best way I can think of to prevent people just getting SC so as to be able to buy an HDB flat and then flip if after 5 years and avoided the additional taxes loaded on the front end.

imroot

Post by imroot » Sun, 22 Nov 2015 9:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, 6 months is quite short, the average in recent years has been 12 to 18 with 24 months not unheard of either.
Agree. Our PR took exactly 12 months...Though I was told 9 months, I would be very lucky to get a response before 12-14 months.

Also I have updated ICA twice, first my wife's change of salary and later mine. I don't know if that would kinda delay the process because now additional information needs to be verified. Anyways I have submitted the application and there is nothing I can do to speed up the process. So waiting :)

rachies

Post by rachies » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 9:38 pm

The process seems to get longer and longer..i had a couple of friends who applied a few years ago and got it in 5 mths. I shall be patient then. Thanks alot!

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:42 am

Application PR/ Citizenship increase significantly perhaps. too many factor will cause the application date from 9 to 12 or 12-18 Months waiting period.

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 5:44 pm

OK, I did it. applied via eSC just now. Seems like the process has changed slightly.

Anyway, the form is way shorter than PR application. Once completed, you get prompted to pay $100 and book an interview date, which is when I would be bringing my supporting documents it seems.

The earliest interview date I can find is July 19. Wish me luck!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 8:07 pm

Wahlao, We've watched you land on these shores, take a battering in the beginning, and now you are applying for SC! All in 6 and a half years! Wishing you all the best. You go girl! ;-)

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Mon, 10 Jul 2017 9:58 am

After 1.5 years of wait, I got my citizenship!!!

PR issued on Feb 5, 2014
Citizenship Application submitted on Feb 10, 2016
Citizenship Interview July 19, 2016
Citizenship IPA came on June 15, 2017

Now i just have to do the whole SG citizenship journey before the real approval :)

Thanks guys for all your help!
Last edited by amarettoSour on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.